Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace
Average 3/5
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
1,011 results
All reviewsthe club loungeplatinum memberpool and steam roomcalton hillhigh ceilingslovely hotelleisure facilitiesduty managerlovely weekendquiet locationcity centrefire alarmhotel is situatedlarge roomlovely roomthird floorshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Pleasant hotel with comfortable beds and obliging staff. However there were a number of faults. For instance the safe was right at the top of the wardrobe and difficult to reach, and I'm over six foot tall. The standard bedroom was small but adequate, although a bit chilly as the thermostat wasn't working. Light bulbs not working and other small niggles which perhaps should have been dealt with.
The worst part of the stay was the breakfast which in my opinion was not good enough for a hotel of this class. If the guest didn't want to eat bacon and eggs etc the choice of other options were limited and looked unappetising.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Mike
Thank you for your feedback. It is a shame that you did not enjoy the hotel as you should have. I would love the opportunity to discuss this further with you if you have the time to drop me an email at general.manager@royalterracehotel.co.uk and I can give you a call.
We do offer a full breakfast and have additional items available to order to increase the options available.
I hope to hear from you shortly.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Hotel is beautifully decorated and very clean.

Very relaxed feel and very helpful staff.

No car park but on street meter parking is available which is free from 17.30 to 08.30. I was able to park directly in front of reception every time

Highly recommended

Room Tip: Front of the hotel gas wonderful views but the road could have slight road traffic noise but it's a very quiet road. I stayed at the back of the hotel which over looks the gardens
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 230JH230

Thank you for your wonderful comments, it is great to hear that you had a fantastic stay and that the team looked after you so well.
See you next time.

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

A friend and I spent a lovely day and night at this superbly located hotel. On checking-in, we were greeted by two ladies who were in training, and it's obvious how high the standard is set, which was reflected in their service. We were also greeted by the duty manager, Chris Campbell, who set out to make sure our stay was flawless. Commendations are rarely given to managers, but I find it important to acknowledge the effortless help provided by Chris. He was always on hand ensuring guests were happy and even delivering fresh towels to the spa, an absolute credit to the company!! The facilities were lovely, and the gym was most sanitary. Princes St and all the other main attractions are a pleasant short stroll away. Rooms were tasteful, amenities aplenty, and a tasty breakfast to set you up for the day. Ample parking also provided. Huge thanks to Chris and his team.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank lil_lmc

Thank you for your wonderful comments, in particular regarding Chris, which I will be sure to pass on to him with thanks. I am also so pleased that it was noticeable that our team receive a high level of training, we aim to ensure that the team are 100% confident & happy in their jobs so they are able to deliver the highest level of seamless service possible.
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We came to Edinburgh for my birthday and stayed two nights here.
The staff were lovely and very helpful with advice about where to visit during our stay.
The food was amazing and the Breakfast choice was first class.
Our room was massive and well equipped, the bed was unbelievably comfy too.
We will return the next time we go to Edinburgh.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mathew C

Dear Mathew
A belated happy birthday! Great to hear you had such a fantastic stay and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Really quite disappointed.
We came to the hotel for afternoon tea and to use spa facilities and had quite a few issues:
- Key card I was given did not work so I couldn't get into spa area, a passing employee swiped me in on hers however failed to tell me I'd need another swipe to gain entry to the pool, so there I was in my bikini unable to gain access to the pool, I had to knock on the door and another guest let me in.
- There was 1 lounger and 3 chairs poolside, which were all taken so I stayed only 30 mins
- Original hair dryer didn't work so had to leave the changing room area to try and fine someone to assist, another dryer was found for me, then had to wait for another passing employee to swipe me back in to changing rooms.
- this hair dryer worked for a few minutes, then started to spark from the wall plug, above scenario again, leaving changing rooms, half dressed, half wet hair trying to find help.
- eventually found a employee who allowed me to use another room to dry hair.
- next afternoon tea, went to dining room, had to wander around for a few minutes to try and find someone, by this point there were another couple behind us also looking for someone to serve us.
Eventually a lady came over and checked us in, asked to see group on voucher which I showed her via my phone, she took a security code but said she also needed a I.d code, she showed me to a computer and asked me to log into my group on and print voucher then walked off and left me to it, located voucher on computer and tried to print, however there was an issue with the printer. I had to go back into restaurant and spent 5 mins trying to find her again. She eventually came over again and I showed her voucher on computer screen, and she found the code she needed,this was identical to what I'd shown her on my phone 10mins earlier?!

On the whole just really disappointed, electrical faults can't be blamed on staff but feel that a replacement key card from the onset would have saved a lot of embarrassment.

Was testing this venue as a possible venue for our wedding guests to stay later this year but have decided against it after this experience and we will recommend elsewhere.

On the plus side the afternoon tea itself was good and the reception and bar staff were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Bkay2013

Dear Bkay2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, it is very disappointing to read that you did not have a great experience. I sincerely apologise for the inconveniences experienced during your visit, I can assure you that this is not our usual level of service as I am sure you will see from our other fantastic reviews. I would be keen to discuss this further with you if you would like to contact me directly at general.manager@royalterracehotel.co.uk.
I hope to hear from you shortly.