“A lovely stay!”

Ranked #107 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Durham, United Kingdom
“A lovely stay!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Spent the night at this hotel with my husband and daughter for her 21st birthday. Hotel and facilities tip top.The room was impeccable and full of everything we needed and more,turn down service a nice touch.Spa was small but adequate although extremely hot!
Breakfast was adequate and just say warm,should have ordered from breakfast menu and had cooked to order.
Staff were all extremely attentive and could not be faulted. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Gillian
Happy belated birthday for your daughter! So pleased to read you had such a lovely stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Edinburgh.
Lucja Leonard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Turkish first
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The hotel is immaculate, the room with four poster was ideal, the food in the restaurant. The staff were as helpful as they could - we even got an afternnoon tea at 10.30 at night - and as said to the room service staff member who took the order - no it's not on the menu but if you could....... The reply not a problem! Thank you. All of the pre arranged things to make our stay special we sorted no problems - the champagne, flowers and chocolates when down a treat - thank you

However the trip was spoilt by the appalling car parking facilities. As I first time visitor to the hotel, I appreciated the fact that from 8.30 am the parking meter system kicked in. The first two morning I trotted out, even saw the traffic warden and paid my dues. On our final night we were late back and parked in the only available spot, no marking in the bay on the road like others. The next morning, i trotted down, saw the same keen traffic warden, she watched me put my ticket on the car and go off. She then gave me a ticket because I should have realised that it was a residents only bay, yes she saw me and yes the marking weren't visible but I should have realised. What a shame the hotel does a fantastic job, but the council just see the tourists as a revenue stream - they may come back but they may not who cares!!
If we had been warned who hot the traffic wardens were...... how knows.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank STUART M
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Stuart
So pleased to hear that you had such a great stay with us, although marred slightly by the pesky traffic wardens, they are bad in every city unfortunately. We do tell all our guests on arrival to take extra note, and have this noted on our registration cards as well to reiterate, as we can't control the wardens I'm afraid.
However it sounds like every other element of your stay was fantastic which is great to hear, so pleased the team went out of their way to ensure you had a great time, and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I often have to work in Edinburgh and I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza, Royal Terrace on many occasions so I can really recommend it. What sets this hotel apart is the quality of the staff. They really go out of their way not just to be friendly and attentive but to address any problems you might have as a guest. In my experience, nothing is too much bother for them. There is a range of rooms in Royal Terrace, many of which are really lovely. I particularly like the rooms at the back of the hotel which back onto beautiful gardens. Royal Terrace is situated in a beautiful, central part of Edinburgh but these rooms are remarkably peaceful. This is a great hotel with a lot of tremendous restaurants nearby. I've always felt personally looked after here, so I can't recommend it too highly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim M
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Jim
Thank you so much for your lovely review. It is our aim to offer a personalised service and to treat every one of our guests as a valued individual so I am really pleased to read your feedback, and that of many others, that this rings true.
I too love the rooms that look out to the gardens, and now the weather is warmer the gardens are the ideal spot for a quiet drink in the afternoon in the peace and quiet. You wouldn't think you were in a bustling city!
We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 23 April 2014

First of all, the Crowne Plaza - Royal Terrace is a nice hotel offering not just great breakfast in the morning, but also excellent food for dining.
The most outstanding point about this hotel is their staff.
Before arrival I did arrange some gifts through Teri, which should be prepared in one of the two rooms upon arrival. Communication was smooth and arrangements were made as requested. When arriving, Lisa at the reception welcomed us with a warm smile and did know about the surprise, which shows great communication. It was by far the best check-in experienced in the last years!
Scott, their Chief Concierge, and Esther later gave us great hints for things to do in the area as well as recommendations for restaurants, which was very good due to all locals having received their wages that night.
Those as well as all other staff let us more feel like home than in a hotel. Great job!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the courtyard as they are quiet and allow you to sleep at night.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
I am so pleased that we were able to make your stay all the more special through offering a seamless service by our extraordinary staff. The certainly are fantastic! I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team, especially Lisa, Terri, Esther and Scott with thanks.
See you again next time you are in Edinburgh.
Scotland
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Beautiful location in Edinburgh's New Town with a lovely open outlook. Very friendly and helpful staff: nothing is too much bother. We had lunch on two separate occasions and on both, the food was plentiful and tasty. A highly recommended hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on either side of the building are great - if you're at the front you get a fantastic view...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Alioaug
Thank you for a wonderful review. It is great to read that you had such a great stay and took advantage of our delicious food as well.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

So I was at the plaza today and was warmly welcomed by the lovely lisa who happened to be on reception. I felt very welcome as well as the hotel being beautiful the service is fabulous. On a scale of 1 - amazeballs it's up there with the Flying monkeys from the wizard of oz

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Niall-Patterson
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
I was excited to be up there with the flying monkeys from Wizard of Oz!
Thank you for your unique take on the hotel, and so pleased that you had such an amazing stay with us. Thank you for your lovely feedback, particularly about Lisa, which I will pass on with thanks!
See you again soon.
Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My Aunt and I had a lovely Easter themed afternoon tea on Easter Sunday. The food was amazing and the little special touches were well thought out. The weather was warm enough for a walk in the gardens, which are well worth a look. The service was excellent, nothing was too much bother. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear ScottJulieA
Thank you for your wonderful review, I am so pleased that you had such a wonderful day, and great that you could get out and explore the gardens as well. It was a brilliant weekend for that!
We hope to see you again soon.