“Afternoon Tea on the Terrace!”

Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace
Ranked #105 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea on the Terrace!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Myself and a friend enjoyed a lovely afternoon tea on the Terrace in the hotel's gardens. We were waited on by Roxy who was efficient and friendly and gladly fetched us ever more tea! Food was good and plentiful - overall a really fantastic experience, thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Emma
It is really great to hear that you had a fantastic afternoon tea, and were able to make use of our lovely gardens in the warmer weather. Thank you for your fabulous comments, especially regarding Roxy, I will certainly pass this on to her with thanks.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Lucja Leonard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 May 2014

As I mentionned on my other review concerning the Crowne Plaza The Roxburghe, I made a special surprise trip for my wife's 50th birthday for 6 days in Scotland.

At the end of our trip I chose to spend 2 nights at the Crowne Plaza Royale Terrace. To finish our stay in Scotland I wanted something nice and spacious. I reserved a King Bed Suite to get what I wanted.

When we arrived, the lady at the desk was very friendly and gave us the key to our room. First surprise the room is at the bottom level.. When we arrived in the room, it was like a shock ! Room was big, with high ceiling, but, just a bed in the middle of the room, one very old desk and one very old wardrobe, but not like old furniture, old and "like dusty". The other part of the suite was like a long corridor with a desk and chairs, and ceilings very low, giving another impression of coldness to the entire suite.

Bathroom was all in length, but again, looks like an old bath and was dark, cold and unwelcoming...

What abour the view ? As we were at the bottom of the hotel, we has what they probably will call a terrass... But was in the middle of walls and stairs and very small, nothing like welcoming again.

I was so dissapointed and upset as I wanted this stay to be something special for my wife.

I went to the desk again to change the room, as I was feeling like in an old cold royal "cell".

It was the same lady at the desk and she made everything she could to help me, even if the hotel was very busy she tried her best to find a better room for me. She finally found a room at less "standard" that we could visit before sayind we wanted to change.

The room was much better, well refurbished and probably a room for 4 persons, with two bathroom. This room was defintively much better and we choose to stay in this one instead.

Breakfast, as in the othe Crowne Plaza was a buffet, and same thing, not bad, but not good neither, with many things to add to the choise of the buffet, but always with supplement. And again, table are old and damaged, carpet is old, tired and almost disgusting. Staff at breakfast was efficient but not so friendly.

I also had to print my bording passes and went to the Bussiness corner if we can call this like this, and again, what a lack of service... The printer was out of order, just because of a ink cartridge that was empty. A member of the staff, very friendly could help with this and askked me to send an e-mail to the reception to make them print my boarding passes. I went there and the two ladies at the desk weren't able to help me and actually were quite rude. After a while they invited me to use the concierge computer to print my passes. It took 25 minutes in totl just for this...

Next morning, I just checked the printer to be sure they made something and it was still out of order.

At check out, staff didn't ask anything about our stay, with, f course, no excuses. They even didn't ask if we needed a taxi...

So, if you are interested in a good hotel in Edinburgh, try the othe Crowne Plaza and avoid this one, until a full refurbishment of rooms, suites and breakfast room.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher rooms or for the refurbished one, but avoid Suites !!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spooty
Dear Spooty
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on Trip Advisor. It is only through constant feedback that we can continue to improve on our customer service and quality.
It was disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us on this occasion. We do have a variety of rooms throughout the hotel, including those on the patio floor, which some of our guests find nicer and more comfortable than other floors as they certainly are very quiet as well, but not to everyone's taste. I am pleased Reception were able to arrange an alternative room for you.
I will take your feedback on board regarding breakfast as we are always looking at ways to improve, and will arrange for the business centre printer to be replaced as this should have been working for your use during your stay.
Thank you once again for your feedback.
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a night at this hotel, after coming back from a 3 day tour. Checked in to our room but there was a funky smell in the room. As it was late and we were heading out for dinner, we just opened the window to let some fresh air in.

Came back a couple of hours and the smell had abated somewhat. Otherwise, the room was decent.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bunnygoeszen
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear bunnygoeszen
Thank you for your feedback, and my apologies that there was a strange smell. It would be helpful to know which room you stayed in if you can please let me know via email general.manager@royalterracehotel.co.uk so I can investigate this further.
Thanks for your time and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel the next time you are visiting.
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 days last month. The hotel is very nice, as well as the area where it is located. Excellent location, close enough to everywhere you may want to go, yet a very peaceful and quiet location when it comes to getting a good night rest! The staff was awesome. We particularly would like to commend Stewart Love for his endless efforts to make us feel at home at all times. The same for a lovely lady who assisted us at breakfast everyday; unfortunately I don't remember her name but she was from Scotland and had a thick and long braid; she was wonderful. The same must be said of Chris, manager in duty the day we left (April 20th, 2014), who kindly worked out a situation to my satisfaction (I suffer from celiac disease and, for some reason, they didn't have gluten-free bread at breakfast that morning).
I would happily return to this hotel next time I visit Edinburgh, which should be soon :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Laurie
Thank you for your kind review, it is great to read that you had such a wonderful stay and that the team were very accommodating for you. I will certainly pass on your feedback to the team, in particular Stewart and Chris.
We are looking forward to your return visit already.
UK
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The hotel is situated in Royal Terrace, a typical and imposing sandstone terrace in Edinburgh's New Town. My taxi driver said it was known to locals as the 'Royal Terrace Hotel' and has passed through a few chains' ownership.

The reception is well laid out - the staff friendly without exception. There is just one lift. Carefully select your room if you need wifi access (we needed it for work) and we had to move from the basement to the 3rd floor.

The room was perfectly comfortable though won't be winning any design awards. In particular, the beds were super-comfortable and we slept well - perhaps because the room was so cold? The room faced on to the terrace which is cobbled so cars driving past do create quite the background hum. We got used to this over our trip. The bathroom was small but very clean - so you can't ask for more. Facilities in the room was what you would expect: tea/coffee, small fridge, desk, small television. I used the gym, which was small but had everything I wanted.

The good thing about the hotel is that it is nicely positioned just out of the hustle and bustle of the New Town, but within a couple of minutes' walk to nice restaurants and bars. In particular, we loved the local Thai restaurant - some of the best Thai food outside of Thailand. Ask the concierge for directions - it's about 2 minutes from the hotel.

Overall: good quality, happy, five stars when it gets a slight face lift :)

Room Tip: Pick one of the upper floors if you want wifi access!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear jimbob74
Thank you for your lovely review. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and our lovely location.
I love Thai Pod as well, it is a favourite haunt of mine, and agree it is the best Thai out of Thailand!
I am glad the team looked after you and you had an enjoyable visit to Edinburgh.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
scotland
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed on a Sat night for a night out in Edinburgh. Hotel is great for access to centre of Edinburgh by a short walk or £6 in a taxi ride. We stayed in room 306 which has velux windows facing over leith to the forth and fife beyond. Great view.
Room was clean and large with everything you need. Great touch with tin of Irn Bru and a Tunnocks tea cake.
Staff all very polite and attentive.

Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Gabellone
Glad you enjoyed the extra touches, along with the stunning views out to the Firth of Forth, hard to imagine you are in a city sometimes with such amazing views.
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.
Reviewed 10 May 2014

A stunning location and hotel and in budget for work; some of you will know how difficult it can be to do that! Good size room, good buffet breakfast and friendly staff. Perfect! I certainly would return if and when I have to go back for work or play.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear have limited view due to the hill behind the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Anthony
What else is there to say? Thank you for a wonderful review, all summed up in a few words and perfectly described.
Thank you for your wonderful comments and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.