“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #105 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
edinburgh
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We travelled to Crowne Plaza in Edinburgh with my sisters for my mums Birthday using a voucher deal, including Afternoon Tea and use of Spa facilities. Hotel itself is lovely, very well decorated and modern, reception staff friendly. We went to gym at 12, very small but was fine for the 4 of us, then used the pool. The ladies changing room is tiny, including 1 shower,1 toilet and lockers( £10 deposit each), no actual changing rooms so if there's more than 2 people at a time its tight squeeze. The gym, pool and changing room were all roasting, uncomfortabley warm, luckily there was cold water and towels available in the gym. We were hungry and looking forward to the afternoon tea that was booked for 3pm, but were disappointed to have to wait for over 45 minutes until we were served, given only 1 pot of tea or coffee while we wait, no apology from the waitress!! Once it finally arrived it was fine, cakes were nice enough, sandwiches not great, bread a bit hard as if it had been sitting out even though it took 45 minutes to serve us! Think there should have been crisps or other savoury food available as a lot of sweet cakes were sickly. Overall, We enjoyed our girls day out, but felt there was no need to have been left waiting for so long just for a few sandwiches and cakes. Just glad we had a voucher as would not have paid full price for this service!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jill N
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Jill
Thank you for your feedback regarding your afternoon tea. It would be very helpful if you could drop me an email to general.manager@royalterracehotel.co.uk so I can investigate thoroughly as to why there was such a delay with the afternoon tea as from this review I can't pinpoint a day or name. In the meantime I will certainly be addressing this with both my Food & Beverage Manager and my Head Chef in terms of the lack of service and quality as this is not our usual standard, so I do apologise for this.
I hope to hear from you in due course.
Lucja Leonard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Turkish first
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I were upgraded to this hotel for our 'marathon' stay this weekend. The location was perfect for the start of the race as well as being close to the main tourist sites and shopping for the spectators!
The newly refurbished rooms were comfortable, tasteful and quiet with great touches such as the aromatherapy pillow spray - my wife bought some to bring home with her!
The staff had laid on a carbo-packed Marathon supper and had organised a super-early breakfast for all of us runners. Chris managed his 5:30 am breakfast buffet with a smile and perfect customer service which set us all up for a great start to the 26.2 miles. Well done.
We'll be recommending the Crowne Plaza Royal Terrace in Runners World.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet zone room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear MrsWinter4
Congratulations on completing the 26.2! What a great weekend of running! I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. As a marathon runner myself, my hotel will always be extra runner friendly! So I am really pleased that you enjoyed the buffet and the extra early breakfast available, I think it is important to be able to change our style of service and offering to suit our guests whether it be for a marathon or for another event in town to make sure that our guests get the most out of the experience. We certainly are in a fantastic location for both the start lines, literally roll out of bed and you are on the start line!
I would love a mention in Runners World as we are a runner friendly hotel and want to share this story for other runners. Thank you for your wonderful feedback about Chris, I will be sure to share this with him with thanks.
I hope the recovery is going well, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Kilwinning, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed overnight at the Crowne Plaza for a 21st birthday treat with my boyfriend. It's situated in a lovely location and easy enough to get into the tourist areas of town. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. The only thing I would say is there isn't a lot of choice on the a la carte menu and the portions, although delicious, are a bit overpriced for what you get so I wouldn't recommend going to dinner later than 6. There's also no hotel parking so if you are travelling by car during the week you need to use the pay and display across the road. All in all, a lovely stay and I would recommend for couples as it's nice and quiet. :-)

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Bertiesays
Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and our location.
Happy belated birthday for your 21st, what a great reason to celebrate. I will share your feedback with our Chef as he is just putting together a new menu for summer which will go live next week.
We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Edinburgh.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

I planned my trip to Scotland well in advance and I was very pleasantly surprised with our hotel in Edinburgh. The staff was very friendly and accommodating from the front desk, to the bar, to the wonderful concierge Scott. We enjoyed the best cappuccino on the patio every morning and the room was large and comfortable. We were a short walk to the train station and all the attractions we wanted to see. Absolutely lovely! I will definitely return!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lauren
Thank you for your lovely feedback, it is great to hear that you had such a wonderful stay and really enjoyed your time in Edinburgh exploring the sights.
Scott is fantastic and I will pass on your comments to him with thanks.
Looking forward to seeing you next time you visit Edinburgh.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

I am a fairly regular visitor and it is one of IHG's best properties. Great staff who always go the extra mile to make you feel welcome. Club lounge is a very nice atmosphere with very attentive staff.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Viewlander
Great to read that we are consistently offering the seamless service you have become accustomed to.
Thank you for your ongoing patronage and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I spent just the one night at the Crowne Plaza last night. I'd read previous reviews commenting on unhelpful/unfriendly staff and that management were dealing with it. Well, rest assured they have dealt with whatever the issues were. From the girls in reception, to the waitresses at dinner, a lad delivering room service I shared a lift with, the waiter at breakfast and even the man collecting laundry bags, all were smiley and friendly and went beyond just a 'hello' but made a real effort to start a conversation. Oh yes, and the room and facilities were great, dinner lovely and the waitress wasn't fazed by by companions asking for two starters instead of a starter and main. Well done Crowne Plaza (and staff!)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SLB27
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Hi SLB27
Thanks for a fantastic review! It is really pleasing to read that you experienced a high level of service and hospitality in every area of the hotel. We pride ourselves on our customer service and friendliness and I am glad you fully experienced this, and loved our gorgeous hotel as well of course!
See you again soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Myself and a friend enjoyed a lovely afternoon tea on the Terrace in the hotel's gardens. We were waited on by Roxy who was efficient and friendly and gladly fetched us ever more tea! Food was good and plentiful - overall a really fantastic experience, thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Emma
It is really great to hear that you had a fantastic afternoon tea, and were able to make use of our lovely gardens in the warmer weather. Thank you for your fabulous comments, especially regarding Roxy, I will certainly pass this on to her with thanks.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.