“So comfortable”

Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace
Ranked #107 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Very helpful and friendly staff; requested and received early check in after very long flights and assisted to room. Most comfortable bed! Lovely room and facilities; clean. Quiet location but easy to walk into Central Edinburgh. Good pool facility.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear msjrg
So wonderful to hear that you had a comfortable stay and that the team looked after you so well. Hope you are enjoying your trip and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My family had an excellent stay at this location. Fabulous and helpful staff! Clean and comfortable rooms. This hotel has rooms that are perfect for families with separate sleeping areas and two bathrooms. We will definitely stay here again when visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Nikki
Really pleased to read you had such an excellent stay with your family.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you come to Edinburgh.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were very happy with this hotel. Service was good, and the room perfect for our needs. Breakfast was very good and lots of it. Great location close to everything. We would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Green_Eyes_Halifax
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Green_Eyes-Halifax
Looks like we will see you next time then. Great to read you had an excellent stay!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I've been in C'Plaza with my family. We've got a nice room with amazing view for garden. Quality of food was fantastic, but I've had problem with staff. When I wanted go to the pool I needed slippers and I try ask somebody about it, but nobody answer me. I met person which probably checks the rooms and I asked about this. She said something strange and just walk away. Second person said me that, she doesn't speak english good. I have no idea how is it possible, that 4 stars hotel employ people who doesn't know english.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Mike
I am pleased to read that you had a wonderful room and view and that you enjoyed the food. My sincere apologies for the lack of understanding from a couple of our housekeeping team. It is very difficult, unfortunately, to find local English speaking staff for any department, particularly housekeeping and we are working very hard with our Polish staff contingent to improve their English through offering English lessons once a week. We are finding this improving but not quick enough. We will certainly take your feedback on board and continue to work with them as this is not acceptable.
I hope you enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh and I hope that we are able to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This review could very easily have been a one star review. Our check in was unusual and something I can't quite out my finger on, but I felt like the hotel was doing us a service in letting us stay there, rather than the other way around. I also found the request for full payment upfront to be unusual, especially when they had our credit card details. We were given a room on level P and as soon as I opened the door I knew it was unsuitable. Although of a reasonable size, with a king bed, it was very dark due to it being in the basement, it also looked out onto a wall. My eyesight is not very good in low light levels and I knew I wouldn't be able to work in this room, so I decided to ask for a brighter room. I avoided the receptionist who checked us in as I suspected she wouldn't be helpful (the rolling of her eyes when she heard me ask for a room change confirmed my suspicions). The second lady couldn't have been more helpful, although the hotel was fairly heavily booked, she searched for suitable rooms and even took me to the room to make sure it was suitable for our needs. But for her I would have had a most unsuitable stay. The second room was lovely, with several windows on the first floor overlooking the garden. It must have been a family room as it had two bathrooms and could have slept 4 using the fold out bed. I would highly recommend requesting a first floor room. I cannot comment on the dining room, bar or breakfasts, because based on our initial check in I decided not to spend an additional penny in the hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room above the ground floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stewart B
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Stewart
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay. Please accept my apologies for the way one of our receptionists have come across, I am pleased that the other one managed to restore your faith and looked after you very well to ensure that you had a suitable room for your needs. I can assure you that I am looking into this to find out who this may have been, it is difficult from the review to work out which booking this relates to, if you could possibly drop me an email to general.manager@royalterracehotel.co.uk with your name and booking details this would assist me greatly. This is not the level of service and quality we strive for and I would like to deal with this to ensure that this remains an isolated incident.
Thank you once again and I hope to hear from you in due course.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We travelled to Crowne Plaza in Edinburgh with my sisters for my mums Birthday using a voucher deal, including Afternoon Tea and use of Spa facilities. Hotel itself is lovely, very well decorated and modern, reception staff friendly. We went to gym at 12, very small but was fine for the 4 of us, then used the pool. The ladies changing room is tiny, including 1 shower,1 toilet and lockers( £10 deposit each), no actual changing rooms so if there's more than 2 people at a time its tight squeeze. The gym, pool and changing room were all roasting, uncomfortabley warm, luckily there was cold water and towels available in the gym. We were hungry and looking forward to the afternoon tea that was booked for 3pm, but were disappointed to have to wait for over 45 minutes until we were served, given only 1 pot of tea or coffee while we wait, no apology from the waitress!! Once it finally arrived it was fine, cakes were nice enough, sandwiches not great, bread a bit hard as if it had been sitting out even though it took 45 minutes to serve us! Think there should have been crisps or other savoury food available as a lot of sweet cakes were sickly. Overall, We enjoyed our girls day out, but felt there was no need to have been left waiting for so long just for a few sandwiches and cakes. Just glad we had a voucher as would not have paid full price for this service!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jill N

Dear Jill
Thank you for your feedback regarding your afternoon tea. It would be very helpful if you could drop me an email to general.manager@royalterracehotel.co.uk so I can investigate thoroughly as to why there was such a delay with the afternoon tea as from this review I can't pinpoint a day or name. In the meantime I will certainly be addressing this with both my Food & Beverage Manager and my Head Chef in terms of the lack of service and quality as this is not our usual standard, so I do apologise for this.
I hope to hear from you in due course.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I were upgraded to this hotel for our 'marathon' stay this weekend. The location was perfect for the start of the race as well as being close to the main tourist sites and shopping for the spectators!
The newly refurbished rooms were comfortable, tasteful and quiet with great touches such as the aromatherapy pillow spray - my wife bought some to bring home with her!
The staff had laid on a carbo-packed Marathon supper and had organised a super-early breakfast for all of us runners. Chris managed his 5:30 am breakfast buffet with a smile and perfect customer service which set us all up for a great start to the 26.2 miles. Well done.
We'll be recommending the Crowne Plaza Royal Terrace in Runners World.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet zone room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear MrsWinter4
Congratulations on completing the 26.2! What a great weekend of running! I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. As a marathon runner myself, my hotel will always be extra runner friendly! So I am really pleased that you enjoyed the buffet and the extra early breakfast available, I think it is important to be able to change our style of service and offering to suit our guests whether it be for a marathon or for another event in town to make sure that our guests get the most out of the experience. We certainly are in a fantastic location for both the start lines, literally roll out of bed and you are on the start line!
I would love a mention in Runners World as we are a runner friendly hotel and want to share this story for other runners. Thank you for your wonderful feedback about Chris, I will be sure to share this with him with thanks.
I hope the recovery is going well, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.