“Nice stay”

Ranked #106 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Montana
“Nice stay”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights in the Crowne Plaza and really enjoyed it. The room was very quiet and faced out onto the courtyard in the back, which was beautiful. The beds were comfortable, staff friendly, breakfast yummy. The location is also great. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the club level with a view to the back courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear LuvIreland
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your 2 night stay with us, the rear courtyard/gardens are a fantastic part of our hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Edinburgh.
Lucja Leonard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My first stay at this hotel, and a rather pleasant experience. Whilst my room wasn't large, it was functional, had the necessary amenities (including iron/ironing board), well equipped bathroom. I was staying on the top floor, and was able to open the windows, which was a welcome surprise: fresh air is more pleasant than airconditioning. A hotel to keep in mind for future trips.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. It is great that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the fresh air, it may not seem like much to others, but it certainly is lovely to be able to have your window open when staying overnight.
We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Edinburgh.
Little Clacton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I found my self booking this hotel at the last minute due to the price £139.00 what I was as cheap for a crowne plaza. Upon our arrival the receptionist was lovely and very helpful as we were early they took our bags until the room was ready and bags were delivered to the room what's was very helpful. In the room we had a lovely bathroom and a good size bed. Bathrobes in the cupboard and a in room safe. The mini bar was very reasonably priced. We used the swimming pool which was lovely the pool was very clearly and a good tempture I am not a strong swimmer but still enjoyed the pool. There are so many good points about the hotel such as the location, and the facilities in and near by. ie Omili centre, restaurants, st James shopping centre and Edinburgh Waverley station.
The only thi ng was the room had no room guide in, but the receptionist printed us off the menu for room service.

The hotel even allowed my other half leave an heavy item behind as he was heading to Glasgow the next day even though we had checked out.

All staff are very friendly. In all a great experience will try stay here again soon and for longer :D

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bárbaraa F
Dear Barbaraa
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back the next time you are visiting Edinburgh.
Our friendly staff are what makes the difference!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza Royal Terrace when they, and other parts of EH7 Edinburgh, experienced water problems on Sunday 8 June which led to my room having no hot water. However the way this was handled, for me at least, was appalling due to a complete lack of communication.

First became made aware of the problem when late Sunday afternoon, by sheer chance, one of the hotel staff caught me going into my room and explained that the hot water taps in my bathroom had been put on due to water problems and that I should keep these on until told otherwise. Heard nothing all night, other than a hotel maintenance worker coming into the room, checking the water and saying things were improving - which it clearly wasn't! Phoned reception before 10pm to enquire and was told that the problem had been fixed - I explained that the water in my room was still cold and was then told that someone was coming round the rooms and would be there in 15-20 mins to check. An hour later and no-one had came and so phoned down again this time to be told a variety of stories - that the water was fixed and it still being cold in my room could be explained by everyone in the hotel trying to access it at the same time; was then told that Scottish Water were on site and wouldn't be leaving until the problem had been fixed - despite being told a minute earlier that it had been fixed!

Next morning and still no hot water although each room had received a letter overnight thanking guests for their patience and that they had been assured that the water and pressure should be back to normal - which it wasn't. Fortunately I managed to find out myself that the shower in the gym changing room did have slightly hot water so I could shower there. In short, I had no hot water in my room for the remainder of my stay (left on Tuesday morning). At no time other than Sunday night had any hotel staff kept me informed of the situation other than on the few occasions when I contacted or approached staff myself - each time I did so I was told a different story but all with the same theme, things would be fixed in the next 15-20 mins etc. Surely it is not too much to ask for hotel staff to keep customers aware of the situation without them having to go asking for this?

To top it off, on departure I informed the receptionist that my room still had no hot water and this was written down on a bit of scrap paper - no apology given. I then repeated twice that I had had no hot water for two nights and two mornings and that there had been a severe lack of communication to me about this on the hotel's part - and again no apology or real interest shown. This left a sour taste in the mouth but it carried on the theme off the past few days - a worrying lack of customer service and care.

On the positive side : the hotel's location is good, the bed was comfy, complimentary bottle of water was appreciated, breakfast was great and the guest only gym was superb for a small hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Magischer10
My sincere apologies for the inconvenience and lack of service/communication you experienced during your stay with us.
Unfortunately we experienced some serious disruption to our hot water from Sunday 8th June, with a high proportion of Edinburgh being without water for the entire day due to a fault with Scottish Water. Whilst they managed to restore water to the 400,000 homes & businesses without water on the Sunday, due to the fact that our tanks had run completely dry during the course of the day, we were left with air locks in our pipes causing untold problems, particularly on the 2nd and 3rd floors. The teams of plumbers/engineers we had on site from Sunday through until Thursday worked extremely hard to get us back up and running and in the end it had a lot to do with time and flushing the system through. I can appreciate that this was most inconvenient.
I am sorry that you were not communicated with effectively, our team of Managers were working hard and communicating with high numbers of guests regarding the situation, to which we have received some great feedback on how this was handled, so it is disappointing to read that this was not the same for you.
I would be happy to discuss further if you would like to drop me an email at general.manager@royalterracehotel.co.uk .
I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at this lovely little hotel several times over the last three months because of business commitments and we were made to feel valued on every occasion. The staff were superb, Rory the barman and Sharon the duty manager in particular. Nothing was too much trouble. We will definitely be back soon.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor overlooking the garden at the back of the hotel are spacious and peaceful.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Michael
How absolutely wonderful to read that the team have delivered a seamless service to you on every occasion, in particular Rory and Sharon. I will certainly share this with them with thanks, and we are already looking forward to your next visit.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed at this Hotel for a friends 30th birthday going out in Edinburgh to shop and dine and then drinks. I was not impressed with this hotel at all. It was massively expensive (160pounds) per room per night not including breakfast. It did include use of the pool and steam room although they are very small and not kept very clean (drains were covered with hair and dirt). We had requested rooms next door or across the corridor from each other as there were four of us and we couldnt get a large room for 4. This request wasn't met even although we had telephoned 3 days prior to arrival to make sure. When we asked to change we were given much smaller rooms, one of which was next to the lift which bing bonged every time it opened. We were given the original rooms back which were spacious. Staff were very helpful and friendly. There are no parking facilities and parking must be paid for in the public car park across the road. Overall I think this hotel is priced based on location only. I have stayed in much nicer hotels for much less. I loved Edinburgh but would not stay in this hotel on the basis that it was a four star price without the four star experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sylvia
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. My sincere apologies that your visit was not up to expectations, I can assure you that this is not our usual level of service or quality and I am addressing these points with the team.
We aim to deliver a seamless service and I apologise that on this occasion this was not the case.
I would be happy for you to email me directly at lucja@royalterracehotel.co.uk to discuss further as we would love to be able to welcome you back to the hotel to show you what we can do.
Jedburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We booked afternoon tea at the Crowne plaza for our anniversary this month which included use of the facilities.
Staff on arrival extremely helpful and friendly, and the standard of service was overall super!!
Restaurant area decorated tastefully and afternoon tea didn't disappoint at all.
Facilities I felt let it down slightly. The pool was very basic and we ended up using it for only 10 minutes before leaving, changing rooms.....were none... just a tiny little room no where to change in private or space to move.
Overall experience was good and will be booking to stay again for a night.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear KB1285
It is great to read that you enjoyed your afternoon tea and the overall hotel and the service provided. A belated Happy Anniversary as well.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.