“Very Good Hotel and Location”

Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace
Ranked #106 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Very Good Hotel and Location”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Conveniently located on Royal Terrace arrived very late and efficiently checked in. Point to note is be careful parking on the street as some bays are resident only and you must get a payment on the car in the correct bays from 08:30. Our room was very comfortable and well sizsed with decent bed and facilities. My pet hate was present though in the form of shower curtain instead of screen but a minor blip. The building has great character which also means creaky floor boatrds and some street noise from the brick cobbles but not a major issue. Breakfast was excellent albeit buffet style but full range of Scottish and continental available. The grounds are a lovely relaxing place to spend time. Would probably use again. Another little gripe was that we were allocated based on loyalty a late checkout at checkin (14:00) which my wife needed as I was on business during the day only to have it removed in the morning. I find this poor as one makes plans at checkin which then need changing, either it is or isn't given at checkin not at the whim of the desk in the morning.

Room Tip: Higher the better, to negate the cobbles
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank maraalfa
Royalterrace, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Maraalfa,

Thank you for your excellent comments I am pleased you appreciate our amazing old building that is full of character! Just to advise you for future visits that parking on a saturday and sunday is free in the normal pay and display sections.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 26 June 2014

we recently had our wedding reception in the hotel and i have to say everything was amazing. Lisa who was our wedding co-odinator has helped us a lot for our special day. Chris and his team were absolute delight nothing was a problem for them. The whole team couldn't do enough for us and were accomadatine and helpful throughout. The chef Lukas created the most delicious dinner for our special day. Special mention to his whisky sauce it was devine. May i please take this oppurtunity to thank every one for thieir help and hospitality. P.S the garden is hidden Gem.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank narayan a
Dear Narayan a,

Congratulations on your recent marriage, I am delighted that you had a fantastic wedding reception, our venue and gardens are truly special. Thank you for the great feedback about Lisa, Chris and Lukas our team pride themselves in making magic memories for our guests. I will be sure to show them your great comments.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights, and it was a great experience. My almost 8 year old son and I both have Celiac Disease, but the staff was SO accommodating. Our server (I think her name was Eva), was amazing! She was so attentive to every detail, remembered us right away each night, and was always able to make suggestions for us and our dining limitations. The food itself was AMAZING--especially the Aubergine (my favourite!) with/without the cheese. The kitchen staff were great too--so quick to make delicious alternatives so my family. The one problem we ran into was the breakfast staff. For the most part, everyone was wonderful, I just felt that maybe they were not quite as up to date about dealing with Celiac disease dining. Like I said, they were great, just felt that maybe reviewing this would be worthwhile. Lastly, there was Scott. We chatted with him for quite a while in the foyer. If I owned a hotel I would want to hire this man as well. Not only was he friendly and warm, but he is knowledgeable as well. He joked around with my children about Nessie and told us a lot about what to expect in Loch Ness.
Overall, we had a WONDERFUL experience and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Edinburgh.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sarah O

Thank you for your fantastic review, I am delighted to hear that our kitchen team created great dishes for you, we pride ourselves in offering seamless service and encourage our guests to request any dishes that are not on our menu. Where possible we will create what we can!

Thank you also for the great feedback about Eva and Scott, they are both true service professionals who thrive on giving great hospitality.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you and your family back in the future.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Good accommodation with large rooms, block out curtains and fairly quiet. Walking distance to nice restaurants, taxi into town not too expensive - not far. Good walk to tourist sites, though hilly. Staff helpful. Good breakfast. Didn't visit the gym or pool.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear 644Judy,

Thank you for your excellent feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay, we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Conwy
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed 3 nights - part business part pleasure. The hotel is in a great location within easy walking distance of the city centre and just behind Calton Hill with stunning views. There are some hills though so not suitable for everybody.

I had a large room at the front with a huge bed and good sized bathroom. Absolutely no complaints about quality of furnishings, cleanliness of room or bathroom. Huge great windows overlooking Royal Terrace which was lovely, but because the street is cobbled it was quite noisy when cars drove down the street.

Check in took longer than I would have liked. They only had one person on duty late Friday afternoon. Breakfast was fine and adequate. No complaints, but nothing to write home about either. The dining area wasn't particularly inspiring - a sort of T-shaped room which seemed a bit dark and cramped, but it served its purpose.

Check out on the Monday morning was a bit quicker. Staff were all very friendly and polite. I would recommend the hotel - it's not particularly cheap but you are paying for the size of rooms and its location.

Room Tip: Not overlooking the Royal Terrace if you're a light sleeper - the cars on the cobbles can be noi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Elizalilian
Royalterrace, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Elizalilian Conwy

Thank you for your great review I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, although we have a small hill to walk up we think it is certainly worthwhile for our amazing views.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights; staff were friendly and courteous; room was in a quiet area. It overlooked the gardens and was on the 3rd floor. The location was great; within walking distance of everything, although to be fair, everything in Edinburgh is within walking distance! The room itself was a good size; if you are from North America, it may seem small, but it was perfectly fine for the two of us. The bed was comfortable and the shower had good water pressure; the room darkening drapes worked very well. The internet connection was good and we never had any problems connecting. We got the room at a good rate and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Royalterrace, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear KandLH

Thank you for your fantastic review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our amazing hotel and delighted that you plan to return in the future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The hotel is in a high spot and my room had great views on to greenery. However I had no internet connection in my room during my 4 day stay and questions were not handled very effectively. Also there is a damp smell coming from the air-conditioning when I turn it on so I have relied on being able to partially open windows.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear VikkiMD

Many thanks for your recent review I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay but disappointed to learn of your Wi-Fi issues, we have individual routers in every bedroom which are regularly re set and tested. I apologise that this was not working correctly.

I hope we can have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.