“excellent hotel BUT.....”

Ranked #106 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Durham
“excellent hotel BUT.....”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Great hotel, staff and food made our family treat to Edinburgh very enjoyable. We stayed in an executive suite offering large space, club access, comfy beds and a very clean room. However these suites are on the front, with single glazing on a cobbled road. This so called quite road turns into a motorway at 6:30 am and the noise from vehicles speeding down cobbles is unbelievable, I have twice checked to see if windows are closed. The children have the TV turned up so loud just to hear it above the car noise. make sure you ask for rear room and if you think the TVs are loud down the corridors you know why! - such a shame as everything else is lovely but when you are a light sleeper Waking at 6:30 on holiday is not good.

Room Tip: Rear view room is a necessity for good night sleep.
  • Stayed September 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Debs039
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Great to hear you had a fantastic visit to Edinburgh, enjoying the space and facilities of the hotel. The cobbled streets are part of the charm, but can empathise that this can disturb some of our guests sleep. If you are coming back to us, please send us an email prior and we can look to allocate you a room overlooking the rear gardens where you will only have the noise of the birdlife to keep you entertained whilst you admire the lovely views.
I hope to see you again soon.
Lucja

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Turkish first
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2014

If you are a family travelling in Britain you are always pressed for space. The rooms here are beautiful and give you lots of space. Beds are so comfy and the garden is fantastic! The concierge was most helpful with restaurant suggestions. You can easily walk to most tourist spots and shopping too!

Room Tip: Third floor room facing the garden!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
The Edinburgh charm has certainly worked its magic! Great to hear you loved your stay with us and enjoyed the extra space a historical hotel can give with our unique bedrooms and facilities. I hope you are enjoying the rest of your trip and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind Regards, Lucja
Red Feather Lakes, Colorado
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

The location of this hotel is quite nice IF you do not get the "P" rooms!!!! These are the rooms in the basement and they are absolutely horrible for the money!!!! Other rooms are nice. Staff is friendly and helpful and the food is OK in the restaurant. I might think twice before I would stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Liz K
Royalterrace, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
We are unique building, previously 7 terraced townhouses now formed as a hotel, and hence we have a wide selection of rooms, all completely different which allows us to find a room to suit every guest. Our patio floor rooms are part of that mix, and have their own advantages, however I can appreciate they are not to everyone's taste.
Great to hear that the team were so friendly.
When you next come back, please give me a shout and we can look into allocating you a room just for you.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

I visit Edinburgh on business every couple of weeks, and having stayed several times at the other Crowne Plaza in the city (The Roxburghe), I was keen to compare. At check in I was recognised as a Platinum IHG member and given access to the (very nice) Club Lounge. A decent sized room on the 2nd floor with a good view over the pleasant rear terraced garden. Impressed with the general feel of the hotel. This was tempered by one of the weakest hotel wi-fi signals I have ever known. I tested it, and quite frankly, these days a download speed of 0.59 Mbps is pathetic. Even the free wi-fi on Edinburgh buses is far better than that. As a business traveller, a good wi-fi service is important to me, and until this alone is improved substantially, I couldn't return here when I need to work in the evenings. The other let down was the breakfast. I found the buffet selection poor and the breakfast room seemed small and dark. And charging £2.50 for hash browns as 'extras' to a standard cooked breakfast? Come on....

In conclusion, the location is lovely, good rooms, the building is well kept and pleasant, but they must put some new thinking into the wi-fi and the breakfast service before I could recommended this CP over the Roxburghe at the other end of town.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Great to hear that you were recognised as a Platinum member and enjoyed the views of the garden and the overall feel of the hotel. We are currently working on our wifi signal to ensure that this is improved, we have made some improvements from mid-August (unsure of your actual stay dates to compare) and have some further works to take place shortly which will improve the overall position, along with the city of Edinburgh coming on board with fibre optic at some point later in the year which will be an added benefit with speeds. I will take your feedback on board regarding the breakfast, we offer potato scones on the buffet instead of hash browns but will look to review the breakfast menu too.
I do hope you will reconsider staying with us again soon and enjoy the changes we have made.
Melbourne
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Having stayed here for 2 nights on two occasions (as a result of two Insight vacation tours), I enjoyed my stay on both occasions. On the first occasion My room faced the garden at the back of the hotel and on the second my room overlooked the road and park in front of the hotel. I found both rooms clean, comfortable and well appointed. Although the room at the front of the hotel was not as quiet as the one at the back.
I found all the staff very helpful and pleasant and the breakfasts good. The hotel is well situated a little away from the bustle of central Edinburgh but yet within walking distance. The Castle is only a short cab ride away, but if you are adventurous and like to walk, you could walk to the castle and take in many interesting sights of Edinburgh whilst doing so. I did this and really enjoyed the experience. I will be happy to stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden are very pleasant and quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Roamingspirit
How wonderful to hear about your enjoyable stay with us. The best way to see Edinburgh is on foot, and being so close to the Castle, it is the perfect way to explore the city through an energising walk to take in all the sites along the way.
Great to hear the team looked after you so well on both visits and that the rooms were spot on clean for you.
I hope you had a great trip around Scotland and a safe trip back to Australia.
See you again next time you head over.
Reviewed 28 August 2014

The hotel is located very well, at a 5 minute walk from the main street, and a short cab ride to the castle. The staff was very helpful with whatever we needed, and the rooms were neat.
We were a little disappointed with the breakfast, it could have been much better for an international traveler.
The elevated gardens around the property were a cute find, and we spent some time exploring!
The highlight of the hotel was the beautiful bar on the ground floor.
The concierge was very helpful too!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
How wonderful to hear about your great stay. My team are fantastic so it is great to hear that they were there for you.
The gardens, what can I say, they are Edinburgh's best kept secret! So unique to find in a city centre hotel I just want everyone to know all about them.
Thanks for your feedback, we will continue to work on our service areas to ensure that we offer a seamless service throughout.
See you again soon.
Kind Regards, Lucja
Lauder, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Fish and chips plus glass of prosecco for two courtesy of Itison voucher. Excellent food, nicely served in intimate terrace restaurant with garden off. didn't spend the night but will return for restaurant. Recommended.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Great to hear you loved our deal on Itison. It certainly offers great value for money, with tasty food in our gorgeous surroundings.
Thanks for the feedback and I hope to see you back again soon.