“OH DEAR !”
Review of Lyncliff Hotel

Lyncliff Hotel
Ranked #180 of 396 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Well after trawling the hotel sites for accommodation and finding everything booked up we came across the Lyncliff Hotel. Price was £90 per night and the location was reasonably central (about 15 minute walk to the Waverly Bridge). Although the hosts were very friendly the rooms left a lot to be desired ! Infact we think our room must have been a converted corridoor !! The furniture was very dated with chipped and scuffed drawers and wardrobes from the 1930's ! And the surrounding areas are very noisy at night. Cleanliness was adequate although we did not use the shared shower room (think this was a converted cupboard) The toilet wasn't overly clean and the glass door to it just had a net curtain over it so we tended to use public loo's instead (which incidently are spotless all over edinburgh). Every inch of every wall had a picture or ornament on it and this was very oppressive. The one good thing was the breakfast which although described as 'Full Scottish' was really a full english as there was no scottish elememt to it at all ! BUT it was filling and plentiful. Overall You would only stay here if every other accommodation was full and only for one night.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sharon h

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I couldn't believe the prices of some of the hotels in Edinburgh, and B&B's seemed to be booked out across the city, but I had the fortune of getting a room in the Lyncliff. Although a bit pricey, the location is absolutely perfect - 5 minute walk from Princes St, the Royal Mile, the castle. I can't speak highly enough of our host Greg, he made us feel very at home, and didn't have an issue with us asking for a late check out. Breakfast was delicious, and the bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in in a long time. People might have an issue with the shared bathrooms/shower facilities but there was no problem, they were always free and the shower was amazing, despite being a bit of a squeeze to get into! There was a modern wall mounted heater in the room, and it heated up the room in no time - I would not recommend drying clothes on it though!!

Overall, a very happy experience, thanks Greg!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

The room was quite expensive considering the size, and there's no en-suite, but we quickly settled in as the hosts were so friendly and obliging.
Location is within walking distance of loads of Edinburgh's best, and breakfast was great.
I just don't understand why places advertise WIFI when it's not accessible. It's one of the first things I look for when browsing accommodation as I rely on it while travelling- the WIFI at Lyncliff doesn't work in the rooms. It doesn't work in the hall. It does work while you're perched on a chair in the hallway, but only at intervals. Very frustrating.
There is also an interesting glass panel in the door of the communal toilet that could probably be fixed.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I had to visit Edinburgh at very short notice and was shocked at the prices being asked by the hotels where I would normally have stayed. As it was a late arrival I just went for a cheaper option close by the location I had to be in the morning.
I arrived and was shown my ground floor room by Greg. It was a long and not too wide a room and had a double bed and a single bed, TV, wash hand basin, kettle etc but I kept waiting to see how I access the ensuite bathroom. Greg led me into the lobby and pointed out the shared bathroom and shower rooms.
So my first thought was "always read the small print". This was a B&B with no ensuite, the first time I had stayed anywhere without private facilities for as long as I cared to remember.
However, once I got over that fact, I settled in nicely.  I opened a nice bottle of red wine for myself and Greg kindly produced wine glasses for me and my guest.
The room also had a large table and 2 chairs so that was handy.  The new flat screen TV also did the trick.
Plenty of sockets at a convenient height meant I could recharge my phone, computer and iPad.
The Lyncliffe had plenty of charm and character and must have been an amazing private residence in its heyday. Lots of info for tourists at reception.
Breakfast was a real treat.  Large selection of cereals, on tap coffee and tea and juices.  Fresh cooked scottish breakfast was very tasty and high quality produce used.  Lots of toast, butter and jams laid out.
The hosts were very friendly and could not do enough to help.
I highly recommend the B&B to anyone who wants some home comfort, and it's 3 minutes from Princes Street or 1 minute from the playhouse and loads of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Nigel R
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Great location near the station. Up here to see the rugby and looking for good value for money accommodation. The Lyncliff is a friendly B&B. The rooms were basic but clean and tidy and very warm. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Shared bathroom facilities may not be to everyones taste but suited us fine. Great value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Booked a family room for my wife, our adult daughter and myself for the night of our son's wedding. Greg was extremely helpful when booking, no problem making the room available at 12 noon so we could change ready for a taxi to the wedding venue at 1pm. Well aware that room was not ensuite; on arrival found room clean and functional, decent wardrobe space. Facilities a few feet away, toilet acceptable, shower had excellent hot water at good pressure - only wee comment would be that a bi-fold door would help rather that contorting oneself opening the full size door in the limited space. Good breakfast, Greg asked how the wedding had gone and was very attentive. For a short stay, this wee place did the business - central, parking at the door at weekends, friendly service and a clean room.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2010

The B&B is set in a great location, not too far from Waverley station, or the town centre. The owner is very friendly and catered to all of our needs. We were staying in Edinburgh to run the half marathon, as such he asked upon arrival what we would like for breakfast, and specifically what time. Due to us running it was quite early, but this was no problem for him. Whilst we were participating he allowed us to leave our bags in our room and upon return we changed and had a shower, despite it being past our check-out time. He was very accommodating to our needs.

The hotel itself is quite basic, not somewhere you'd go for a luxurious stay, but definitely worth what you pay for it. If you want a friendly place to stay, where you're just going to be sleeping in your room and no more, then I'd recommend this hotel definitely.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends