“Quality for the price”

Ranked #147 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Quality for the price”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

After reading the reviews on trip advisor the day before we stayed at the hotel, I was more than a little apprehensive about what to expect at this hotel and I was pleasantly surprised. This hotel is your standard budget hotel. The staff were friendly, allowing us to check in two hours early after a very long drive. The room itself was modest but fine for a two day stay. My only issue was that the carpet could have done with a better hoover and there were two squashed spiders on the blind which was a little grim. The bed was comfortable and there was a heater in the room to warm it up. In the morning, breakfast was from 7am til 10am and was very good. It was all you can eat which was good for the busy two days we had. My only issue was that it was £5 a day for parking which I would have expected to be included in the price of the hotel but still cheaper than city centre parking. The walk into the city was around 15/20 mins but a lovely walk through a lovely city. Overall my partner and I had a wonderful stay and were definitely not ready to leave.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a river view.
2 Thank faylauren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a night here, normally we would stay at a hotel in the old town, but our flight got in late so we weren't really caring (bad choice). The room key wouldn't work (after a long day, you just want a bed!), The place smelled, the bed felt like I was lying on cardboard boxes and made a horrible noise every time you moved. When I turned on the shower a heap of dirt fell into the bath, my boyfriend chose not to shower. Rooms were an ok size but very empty, desperately needs a re-furb! It was cheap, I'm not really sure what I expected really, however I have stayed in cheap hotels before and been perfectly happy, but I will NEVER stay at a Britannia Hotel anywhere every again!

5 Thank Vicki M

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a night here, normally we would stay at a hotel in the old town, but our flight got in late so we weren't really caring (bad choice). The room key wouldn't work (after a long day, you just want a bed!), The place smelled, the bed felt like I was lying on cardboard boxes and made a horrible noise every time you moved. When I turned on the shower a heap of dirt fell into the bath, my boyfriend chose not to shower. It was cheap, I'm not really sure what I expected really, but I will NEVER stay at a Britannia Hotel anywhere every again!

4 Thank Vicki M
ayrshire
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Have to say was dreading staying here after reading reviews, we had booked it when it was a travelodge, all we wanted was a bed for the night after going to see the lion king. We arrived early and the hotel got us checked in early, we had a triple room, double bed, single bed and sofa bed. Clean, tidy for all the time we were staying. I was disappointed with the breakfast, as expected more continental selection. Daughter was disappointed as she wanted scottish square sausages and potatoe scones. For 2 adults and 1 child the price we paid was fair enough.

Stayed November 2013
2 Thank irenemAyrshire
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Really untidy hotel. Reception and bar area is ok and its a nice pint. But the room was freezing when we got in and the shower head was broken! The hallways look dirty and tired! Cheap and not very cheerful!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Marc H
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night
Yes hotel does look tired but we were quite comfy we ate here in the evening then had drinks then breakfast in morning
We used a taxi service 7777777 to get about very reasonable
if you want luxury stay somewhere else and pay a lot more

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Wendy M
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here a few months back with my family for my daughters birthday, never again. There were toe nail clippings on the floor, the bathroom was filthy and the service was cold and uninviting. I've stayed in a few hotels in Edinburgh but I would not recommend this to anyone.

Stayed November 2013