“A budget hotel offering good value for money”

Britannia Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #151 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Booking was quick and efficient on-line despite doing so 3 hours before arriving. Check in was friendly and staff welcoming. I arrived at eight in the evening and I was able to have a full meal in the bar/ restaurant which, although basic was very clean and food was very good and well presented. Bar staff were very friendly and helpfull. Good choice of breakfast in the morning that was mostly help-your- self, but well prepared. My bedroom was clean and tidy with tea making facilities and tv with limited channels. Full en-suite facilities were provided as was a very comfortable bed, desk and chair plus leather easy chair, etc. I heard no noise during the night despite the fact that the hotel was very busy and it is a child-friendly venue. The hotel is being refurbished at present although I could not fault the room I was allocated and it was not a refurbished room. I will use this hotel again and recommend it to fellow visitors. I would add that it is about 15 minutes walk from Haymarket Station but well worth the effort.

Room Tip: This was my first visit so I am unable to advise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Upon arriving I had to wait nearly 20 minutes to check in.
I was "upgraded" to an executive room with a river view.
The executive room is the same as the old style Travelodge rooms. I found it to be dark, dirty, cold, mouldy and in a bad state of repair.
When all the lights were turned on the room is barely lit. One presumes this attempt at mood lighting is to cover the grubby walls and bogeys stuck to the walls.
My river view consisted of a load of trees in front of the river, therefore, you are unable to see the river.

After travelling up from sussex I was hungry and tired. Couldn't be bothered to complain.
I went to the bar and waiting 14 minutes to be served. I asked what was in the veggie burger and the barman shrugged his shoulders, sniffed and said "dunno mate, veggie stuff."
After probing him he reluctantly went to the kitchen to ask whilst mumbling "they won't know...."

After waiting 40 minutes my 'food' arrived.
I'd ordered a vegetarian burger with cheese and bacon, this was served with chips and salad.

There was no salad, the burger was less than a quarter inch thick and in three pieces, the bacon was rock hard and had been deep fried.
I asked the waiter for a drink and was told I had to order at the bar.
Went to the bar, whilst my food was going cold, and waited to order a drink. After five minutes I gave up and went to eat my dinner.
After two bites I gave up. It was impossible to eat the hard bacon, the burger was falling to pieces and it was now cold.
I spoke with a member of staff and explained my problems since I walked in the door. They barely apologised and said they would replace my meal. I declined and asked for a full refund for my food as I was not willing to eat in here.
I offered to pay for the drink I had but they refunded that as well.

I left the hotel and went for an enjoyable meal at Jamies Italian.

The heater in my room does not work properly, the bathroom has mould everywhere, my room fire door has a gap all down the side, my bathroom door is falling off its hinges, bogeys on the walls....

I am booked in to stay here at the end of this month but will be cancelling this booking upon my return to my office.

It is no wonder they have been voted the UKs worst hotel chain in 2013.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We must have been there around the same time as some other guests commenting below. We have travelled a lot in the last few years and have never struck such a bad hotel. Unfortunately it was a long weekend and most hotels had booked out, so this one was free. Now I know why.

All went wrong from the start. Didn't get the room we pre booked. Never mind. The room and corridor carpets were very dirty and looked like they hadn't been vacuumed for a week. Hot water was non existent. The fire alarms went off at 1.00am and everyone had to exit out into the rain and cold. It ended up a false alarm after over an hour waiting in a cold garage. That didn't really matter except that they went off again at lunchtime the next day. The staff quickly turned them off.

The floors were so loose and squeaky and walls very thin. Noisy drunk people drinking outside until the early hours. The second night our ceiling started leaking from pipes up in the ceiling.

Breakfast wasn't good. Scrambled eggs had some shells in it. It was busy so they kept running out of eggs and kept people standing around for ages until some more was brought out.

Staff rushed passed in the morning and we were still in the room getting ready to leave. They just gave us some towels and toilet paper after we asked and went on there way.

We were glad we found somewhere else to stay for our remaining three days in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Don't choose here.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

A frills-free hotel with a pleasant riverside location that would be perfectly acceptable to a bargain-hunter were it properly maintained. Alas, our mattress was lumpy and squeaky, the window frame was rotten and wouldn't close fully, and the television reception was fuzzy. To top it off, a fire alarm at 1:30am resulted in 300+ guests shivering in the car park for 20 minutes before a single staff member appeared. So bad it was almost funny.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stay away from the Britannia Hotel at all costs! So many things went wrong here that I won't even be able to list them all. First, they put us in the wrong room. Second, the room was very sparse and there wasn't any toilet paper. Third, the breakfast was terrible and their coffee machine was "broken". They wanted to sell you coffee that was behind the bar. The bed was even more uncomfortable than my freshman dorm bed. On the second night there was a false fire alarm that went on from 130 am until 2am where everyone was rushed outside in the pouring rain. The cleaning service did not do a good job and the staff was unprofessional. They really did not care about their guests. I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I are traveling abroad from Australia for our honeymoon and decided to stay at Hotel Britannia for it's fair rates and ok location.

Our first impression was that our room looked nothing like the pictures shown when we made the booking. They were doing renovations and it became apparent that we were placed in the older part of the hotel.

When we entered our room, it smelt strongly of bleach. The size was decent though. The further into our stay however, the more issues arised... On our second day, our room had been made up however we no longer had any towels and our toilet paper had not been replaced (not to mention the bed had barely been made, with cushions strewn on the floor). Staff were apathetic to our request of these, and we were eventually given a box of tissues instead of toilet paper - apparently they had run out of toilet paper even though they did not say this. We were not the only guests who had this happen to them.

We were kept awake til after 2am one morning by loud and inebriated people who were outside, despite the hotel's policy on drinking outside. Nobody from staff asked them to be quiet.

On top of this, our card key did not always work; the hot water often ran out in the shower; the buffet breakfast was not worth the money (plus a staff member tried to remove a tray of food as I was about to serve some on my plate); the wifi was frustratingly slow and would only work in the early hours of the morning; the hotel was generally noisy with staff, workers and other guests.

Overall, Hotel Britannia is not worth the cheap rate you pay. It is worth less.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank AngeRad
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night with my now fiance.. he proposed that night and when the staff found out they gave us a drink on the house to celebrate. Reception staff were friendly and helpful. Room was clean with great facilities. Overall we had a fab night and we will definitely be back to stay again :)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple