“Cheap as chips”

Britannia Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #151 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Considering we got a good deal it was okay - stayed 1 night end of May. Staff were friendly - warned us there was remodeling going on. This was evident of the dusty foot prints in the lobby. Our room was not remodeled, it was a little dated, but reasonably clean - Bathroom was clean, but needed some grouting work done - shower was hot and pressure very good!

Ideal location to walk into the city, took 15min to walk along the river towards the castle. For the price and 1 night stay - great value. Parking cost £5 per night

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Great photographs - not the reality. Have I arrived at a down and out Travel Lodge in na city centre for stag and hen nights???

Disappointing reception with plastic seating in the restaurant does not create a good first impression, nor does finding the five pound coins for parking! The hotel is undergoing "refurbishment" - not sure where as reception, restuarant (although cheap diner is a better description), corridors and bedroom are certainly not being refurbished.

As a female traveller through work I am reluctant to go outside the hotel for dinner so braved the restaurant. I was told we may be able to fit you in - another 12 guests there I was not enticed by the menu...I chose Lasagne and Salad. Microwaved within an inch of it's life and the salad drowned in salad cream.

On a positive the staff are friendly. However, I won't be staying at this hotel again.

I had been booked in on another occasion and this has been cancelled.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank UkTommo
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Relatively modern hotel in walking distance of downtown Princess street.
Quiet area along the river. Full facilities on site, good buffet breakfast.
Difficult to find, so look it up beforehand. Place has apparently changed management recently. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Building maintenance is lacking; walls, carpets, doors, need a spruce up, or at least better cleaning. Bedding and bathroom was clean enough. Room was somewhat spartan but comfortable and quiet. Needed a general thorough cleaning/scrub.
Public transport a longish walk uphill, but doable.

Room Tip: Most rooms will be quiet. There appear to be a few on the street side that might be noisy if you hav...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My friend and I stayed with our children for a concert in June. It was a last minute decision, one which I totally regret! We were charged £116 for the experience EACH! Upon arrival, no welcoming receptionist and the "restaurant" area reminded me of my sixth year common room! THe hotel is undergoing renovation (which I was NEVER ADVISED UPON BOOKING) so if your ambition is to experience sleeping in a construction site then this is the place for you. The receptionist did call us a cab, it arrived promptly and the cab driver even questioned our choice of hotel. We arrived back tired got to the room and the key didn't work.
Whilst I have stayed in many different standards of hotels all over the UK and worldwide this has to be the worst based upon the price paid. The room, number 522 was bare, bathroom and bedroom window had mould on it, towels were off white and thin, thin pillows and sheets that I'm pretty sure they've been used for years. Oh and the little touches like the mouldy shower curtain and the glass ashtray (that was clean!). I requested that the manager call me and left me contact details, I never heard from him. I called several times and eventually spoke to the manager, he struggled to retrieve my booking and promised to call back ....nothing!! After three weeks I spoke to Nathan the DM who was most helpful! I requested a partial refund as I felt the rooms were very overpriced and capitalising on the one Direction concert playing in Edinburgh. He was advised to offer a 10% refund £11.60 and the opportunity to stay at the hotel again for £50!!! NO THANK-YOU. I would rather sleep in a tent than revisit this hotel. Do not waste your money. It's a great location but sadly that's it!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank JulieDO2436AO
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Two of us travelled to Edinburgh for a one night stay over and needing just a bed for the night. The room was very basic, no sight of decoration, couple of holes in the wall, no shower, 2 mains at opposite side of the room. The worst part of our stay was the stag do that started shouting and screaming from 6am all the way through to 9am and were not told to keep quiet by staff/security. Check out was at 10am ,which was a surprise, and they wanted an extra £20 to check out at 2pm. We will definitely not be coming back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AndrewApollo
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at the hotel between 24 to 26 th June, 2014. Upon check in, there was a note about refurbishment undergoing. The room was terribly maintained. The shower curtain was not clean. There was fungi at the bottom end of showr curtain. The shower head was not clean and there was not enough force in the shower. Greatly disappointing for a three star hotel. Staffs were friendly particularly a female staff namely Maddy. Good location by the riverside and just opposite to the modern art gallery.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank George william G
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Hotel is clearly undergoing much needed refurbishment. Not worth the £125 per night weekend pricetag by a long way but the £52 weekday tariff much more like it. Rooms not particulary clean and I was annoyed to come back from breakfast to find my room part way through being serviced with an open door and all my valuables on display but no-one to be seen - despite having the do not disturb sign on the door!! That aside, staff very pleasant and helpful without exception. Good breakfast, free wifi, adequate and reasonable parking and a ten minute walk to city centre. Not great but have stayed in much, much worse. At the end of the day, I would go back here again.

Room Tip: Ask for roadside of hotel, not loading bay side.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple