“Absolutely Horrific! Please Do Avoid.”

Britannia Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #147 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
New York City, New York
“Absolutely Horrific! Please Do Avoid.”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had a reservation at a nearby hotel but there was a mistake in the number of people and we needed another hotel to accommodate extra people. The photos did not look too bad so we booked it.

Location: Nothing wrong. Its not in the city centre and we knew that.

Building: Weird. It looks like some old school dorm building converted to hotel.

Room: Its a room. That is all we can say. It has nothing. It doesn't even have a phone. Yes, it does not have a phone. Our phone battery died, so we couldn't set an alarm. So, while checking in, we asked the hotel for a morning call but was told it does not have such service. Therefore, we asked family member at another hotel to call the room in the morning. They called the hotel, but was connected to a central reservation centre, then had the call transferred to the Edinburgh property's reception, asked to be connected to the room and was told "we don't have phones in the room." Trust me, I stay at a lot of hotels across the world and this is the first time I saw a hotel room without a phone.

Plus, the walls must be empty at this place. We could hear EVERYTHING. We heard cars outside (as if they were driving right next to us). We heard people speaking (as if they are talking into our ears). We heard everyone walking in the hallway (as if they are stomping next to our heads).

We checked in past midnight, literally just slept (well, we tried) and left early morning to go to the airport. We were so happy that our stay was so brief. Just don't stay here. Just don't.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank KRUS_87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Only thing I found disappointing about this place is that it was most definitely NOT in the city centre as advertised, but it is in a lovely spot. Quite simple decor, but pleasant, clean and hygenic - always a necessity. Restaurant was nice, staff were fantastic. Overall my husband and I enjoyed this hotel, despite the refurbishments going on at the same time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LizHoward478
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Firstly there was no mention when booking this Hotel that they were undergoing reburbishment. Our room was reasonably clean just very very dated the mattress needed renewing desperately as everytime you moved a spring poked in you. The bathroom again was relatively clean except for mould on the ceiling and pink mould all along the bottom of the shower curtain.
The restuarant well wot can i say it was like going into a sixth form dining hall. Was absolutely disgusted that on top of all the money we had just paid to stay here for 3 nights we had to pay a further £5 for 24 hours parking which in total was a further £15. The reception and bar staff were very friendly. The service for breakfast was so disorganised.
This is the first and last time of staying in this Hotel will never go back to it.
This is also the time i've left such a negative review.
Would never recommend this Hotel to anyone unless your desperate for a room don't waste your money

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sue13961

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Considering we got a good deal it was okay - stayed 1 night end of May. Staff were friendly - warned us there was remodeling going on. This was evident of the dusty foot prints in the lobby. Our room was not remodeled, it was a little dated, but reasonably clean - Bathroom was clean, but needed some grouting work done - shower was hot and pressure very good!

Ideal location to walk into the city, took 15min to walk along the river towards the castle. For the price and 1 night stay - great value. Parking cost £5 per night

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Great photographs - not the reality. Have I arrived at a down and out Travel Lodge in na city centre for stag and hen nights???

Disappointing reception with plastic seating in the restaurant does not create a good first impression, nor does finding the five pound coins for parking! The hotel is undergoing "refurbishment" - not sure where as reception, restuarant (although cheap diner is a better description), corridors and bedroom are certainly not being refurbished.

As a female traveller through work I am reluctant to go outside the hotel for dinner so braved the restaurant. I was told we may be able to fit you in - another 12 guests there I was not enticed by the menu...I chose Lasagne and Salad. Microwaved within an inch of it's life and the salad drowned in salad cream.

On a positive the staff are friendly. However, I won't be staying at this hotel again.

I had been booked in on another occasion and this has been cancelled.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank UkTommo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Relatively modern hotel in walking distance of downtown Princess street.
Quiet area along the river. Full facilities on site, good buffet breakfast.
Difficult to find, so look it up beforehand. Place has apparently changed management recently. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Building maintenance is lacking; walls, carpets, doors, need a spruce up, or at least better cleaning. Bedding and bathroom was clean enough. Room was somewhat spartan but comfortable and quiet. Needed a general thorough cleaning/scrub.
Public transport a longish walk uphill, but doable.

Room Tip: Most rooms will be quiet. There appear to be a few on the street side that might be noisy if you hav...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My friend and I stayed with our children for a concert in June. It was a last minute decision, one which I totally regret! We were charged £116 for the experience EACH! Upon arrival, no welcoming receptionist and the "restaurant" area reminded me of my sixth year common room! THe hotel is undergoing renovation (which I was NEVER ADVISED UPON BOOKING) so if your ambition is to experience sleeping in a construction site then this is the place for you. The receptionist did call us a cab, it arrived promptly and the cab driver even questioned our choice of hotel. We arrived back tired got to the room and the key didn't work.
Whilst I have stayed in many different standards of hotels all over the UK and worldwide this has to be the worst based upon the price paid. The room, number 522 was bare, bathroom and bedroom window had mould on it, towels were off white and thin, thin pillows and sheets that I'm pretty sure they've been used for years. Oh and the little touches like the mouldy shower curtain and the glass ashtray (that was clean!). I requested that the manager call me and left me contact details, I never heard from him. I called several times and eventually spoke to the manager, he struggled to retrieve my booking and promised to call back ....nothing!! After three weeks I spoke to Nathan the DM who was most helpful! I requested a partial refund as I felt the rooms were very overpriced and capitalising on the one Direction concert playing in Edinburgh. He was advised to offer a 10% refund £11.60 and the opportunity to stay at the hotel again for £50!!! NO THANK-YOU. I would rather sleep in a tent than revisit this hotel. Do not waste your money. It's a great location but sadly that's it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family