“where do i start”

Ranked #147 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
York, United Kingdom
“where do i start”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel is unique in that i have never been woken by a shower that is in a room 6 doors down the corridor and is louder than the weir outside my window on the leith river. The staff have adopted a no rush policy, if you like hanging round reception areas whilst waiting to book in then this is the place for you. Our room smelt as though its previous inhabitant had lived in a dumpster for a week and left his damp sweat socks secreted somewhere in the room, for the next occupants (me) to play their own game of hide and seek. I was particularly impressed with the coffee stain on the wall and the unidentifiable white stain that led me me from the room door to my bed. My favourite though was when wanting a coffee in the morning there was a distinct absence of cups and when I asked "are there were any cups?"
A blunt "No"
"Do you have any paper cups?"
"No"
"How do i drink my coffe?"
A shrug "I dont know"
I can only assume judging by the stain in my room that they now stop providing cups for coffee incase the contents end up on the walls of the rooms and only tempt you with the smell.
The Proclaimers sang about the Sunshine on Leith, i would suggest you adopt the title of their most famous song and walk 500 miles to avoid it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank paulkeith0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Booked online with the hotel website 4 days before my visit. Got a double room for £49 inc breakfast but found out on arrival the hotel was under refurbishment. I wasn't inconvenienced by this in the slightest so all was well. Check in was easy although you need to pay £5 for the parking which you need to pay separately and cannot be put on your room. My room was very spacious and everything worked ok. Staff are polite enough and helpful. Breakfast is a hot buffet help yourself style. Ok but you don't know how long it has been there. Not too far a walk from the Grassmarket area of Edinburgh so the location was ok. Overall for a one night work stay it was enough.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Steve W
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our worst experience of dealing with a hotel customer service representative ever. When we (my girlfriend and I) complained about the service why not room is not available on time, we were told that they already took our money so there is no refund and that's what it is whether we like it or not!!! They charged us £450 for three nights while we couldn't stay there even for one hour and we had to stay in another hotel ...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Hamid E

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Truly awful hotel a complete dump! Never I as seen anything as bad as this, there is blood and vomit stains on the walls and black mold covers the windows. The carpet is so dirty you never want to take your shoes off. Awful! For a £100 a night bedroom you expect a little bit more than a dirty bed in a prison cell like room. Avoid this!

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Rickard N
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews on trip advisor before we left, my partner and myself were quite worried about staying at this hotel. But we were pleasently surprised. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly man at reception who agreed to store our bags until our room was ready. When we got to the room it was very clean. The bathroom was small but the shower was good and again it was very clean. The bed was comfortable and although we could hear the odd neighbour it wasnt enough to stop someone from sleeping. We stayed here for the 3 nights and got a very good service for the price we paid. Good value for money.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eadaoin737
Leeds
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I booked this hotel for 3 nights but decided to leave after the first night. The beds are very uncomfortable, you wake up with pain from the hardness of the mattress, noise from guests keeps you awake and the room is dirty.The price you pay is way too much for the shabby rooms.THIS IS A HONEST REVIEW. DO NOT STAY THERE!!!

• Stayed July 2014
10 Thank johnsomo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

From the pictures on another hotel website, it looked ok to stay but we were very wrong. The walls are so thin I could hear the people in the next room talking. The room was dirty and very dated. The beds were uncomfortable. There is no way that it was worth the price we paid.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends