“Unacceptable service faults”

Ranked #149 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Melbourne, Australia
“Unacceptable service faults”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Shabby and run-down as others have said, though perhaps not unacceptably so for a 3 star place. We stayed because they had availability when we booked during festival time, and they were a bit cheaper than the much more up-market and better-located competitors.

Multiple service problems.
1. We had booked for 6 nights but then had to cut that back to 5. The hotel refused to refund our prepayment, as was their right. But it wasn't acceptable to be greeted on arrival with 'we have you down as a no-show'. Surly retraction when I produced the email in which they said they would place a note in our reservation noting that we wouldn't be arriving until the second night of our pre-paid stay.

2. We twice had to ask for the door cards to be re-programmed as they had only been set for a single day and not for our full stay.

3. Room service failed to replenish toilet paper; we had to come to reception to ask for more and take back to our room.

4. On another day, we could tell that the maid had changed the towels in the room, but hadn't bothered to make the bed.

5. Staff regularly standing at the door to smoke.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janePemberton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Belfast, Northern Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed there with a group for two nights while attending the Edinburgh tattoo. Access to the main entrance is down a steep hill so be prepared if you have walking difficulties. It is within walking distance of the city centre. The fittings need a complete makeover: worn carpets etc. The decor (signs etc.) seems to be a remnant from the time it was part of the Travelodge chain. Bedroom was basic and quite small. Staff did not seem able to cope with the numbers at peak time for breakfast. Coffee machine was broken and guests were asked to use the instant coffee sachets. But the bar staff on late night duty were very kind and the bar prices were excellent. My advice would be to wait until the refitting is complete and by then it should hopefully be restored to a comfortable three star hotel. A notice in the lift advises of construction work but if you didn't spot it the noise of the drilling and the marks left on the carpets by the builders' shoes would alert you to the work going on. The problem with the key cards I think can be put down to the fact that the arrows pointing in the direction for insertion into the lock are in the opposite direction to what you would expect from the writing on the card.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Overpriced. It took 3 trips to reception to get another cup ( only 1 in room), milk, remote control and plug for bathroom sink. We were there 2 nights - bed made but room not cleaned. One clean towel replaced and the one hung up behind bathroom door missed. The 2 cups were not washed and room was not vacuumed. Staff very pleasant and hotel handy to town. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ros M
Ayrshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were sent there by Thomson Airlines as our flight was delayed by 24 hours. We hung around for ages while they supposedly got the rooms ready. Communication was non-existent. When we were eventually got our room key after asking (again) how long it would be, we found the door at the end of a corridor which smelled strongly of petrol... There were bags over the smoke detectors and a distinctly unhealthy fog hung in the air. The room was dirty. The sheets looked lived in and smelled so. When we told the manager about it he pretended to go and look but in actual fact completely ignored us as he came back to the desk,spoke to a colleague about the computer and pretended we weren't there. The staff member we gave our key to couldn't have cared less. Premier Inn was like a palace in comparison.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Wouldn't put a dog in here! West end? Ha! Reception was a joke, took ages to get served at bar but only one other couple there. I only booked this hotel because everywhere was full because of the commonwealth games. £129 for a bare room that stank to high heaven, sprayed a full tin of deodorant and it didn't help, so glad I was getting up at 5am! Nothing in the room apart from a desk and a tiny tv, dirty carpet with at least 6 sticky bits like it had been there for years. Ripped bedding, one tea bag, horrible bathroom. Hotel full of workers that are obviously working at renovations at hotel as doors in our corridor boarded up, building materials lying about. Couldn't comment on breakfast cos couldn't get out of there quick enough. Had a bite to eat in the evening must admit it was better than I expected and the waitress (foreign) was very nice and efficient. Apart from that don't go there!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gilly119
Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed here for one night after my flight from Edinburgh was cancelled.
I was charged £120 for a 'superior' room.

When I arrived I noticed that the signs appeared to be those used in a Travelodge. I was directed to my room and it was very clear this used to be a Travelodge prior to them being refurbished and the current owners have left it as it was.

In my opinion, the superior room wasn't superior to anything, it was just a bog standard room that you would get in any Travelodge. The room was clean and it did for a night but it was a lot of money for what it was.

I can't comment on the food as when I checked in the kitchen was closed (9.00pm) and I tried to buy a bottle of water from the bar but was told they had sold out...

I didn't have much choice about staying here as the Edinburgh festival was taking place so there was a lack of hotel rooms but if I had more choice I would have found somewhere else for the money it cost.

I asked for a receipt and was told I would have to ask when I checked out but when I checked out it was told they would email it.... I then had to call twice and email and still didn't get a VAT receipt. Pretty poor service really! (It's not difficult to print a receipt after all they took my money, shame they weren't as lax about that!!)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 68AR
Rolle, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

By European standards, the price of this hotel is not budget - so I expected more than I got.
This IS budget class accommodation - check in surly (although check out friendly) - staff who shout at each other across the heads of guests - making bawdy jokes along the way. A bar where you cannot sign to the room - just pay as you go. Breakfast "all you can eat" buffet but all the constituents feel and taste cheap.My room was clean but tired - although bed was comfortable. Bathroom adequate and clean but again shabby. Had no Do Not Disturb sign to hang so asked maid in corridor if she could my room after I went out at 12 noon - she said No and put a pile of clean towels outside my door!
Location is convenient and pretty, but I wouldn't stay again - for the same budget I would try a small family run guesthouse or hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business