“Good stay - free internet”

The Northumberland Hotel
Ranked #148 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 10 March 2008

Location is a bus ride from Royal Mile. Not really close enough to walk, but an easy ride.

Located on a busy street. Plenty of parking in the back of the hotel.

Friendly staff. Easy check-in and Check-out.

Clean, simple room. Free internet access.

Very good breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aacree

Reviewed 5 October 2007

We had higher expectations have read some reviews. The hotel is tired having seen better days, it was clean-ish but the deco was very dated and worn, I think it had suffered like many hotels from a serious lack of investment. Being next to a main road (remember its in a city) it was a tad noisy, in need of double glazing I think. I felt a bit put out by being asked to pay up front, a first for me!
For the money it cost I’m sure we could have got something much better! – if we only new where!

Some good points
Parking. – off road but not secure
Near good bus links into town.
Near a supermarket.
Nice breakfast and breakfast room.

Being fair, I believe the owners had only just purchased the hotel so given time, cash flow and a commitment who knows what could / will be achieved.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2007

I am afraid that this hotel needs a major facelift.It is looking very shaby and down at heel .The bar was never open which meant there was no lounge to sit in . We came as a group and found the management very unhelpful .We had booked with the previous management whom had proved to be very helpful.We will not be going to this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
JonJF, Owner at The Northumberland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2007

We are very sorry that your stay wasn't as you expected. Unfortunately for the last 8 months the hotel has been run under management due to an illness of the manager you originally booked with. The management company has now parted company with the hotel and we have no further dealings with them. I can assure you that as from the 13th Aug 2007 any guest arriving at the hotel will be given a warm and and very friendly welcome.

Again we can only appologise for the treatment you received during your stay but now the hotel has been taken back vast improvements will be made.

Reviewed 23 July 2007

Our stay at the Northumberland Hotel took place in July as a 'stop off' for the Golf Open at Carnoustie. Even back in October 2006 all b&bs and local hotels in Dundee were booked so we decided to try Edinburgh and make a weekend of it. We sourced available hotels on hotels.com and when this hotel showed up I went onto their main website. We're glad we did!

The Northumberland Hotel is a lovely building rather like a stately home. We checked in on Saturday 21 July which was rather quiet and were given room 10 which was pleasant and had access to a shared terrace, which would have been lovely had the weather not been rain, rain, rain. Chris, the Manager, informed us that we had just missed Edinburgh's heatwave, typical!! The room was a decent size for the two of us with the usual mod cons including en-suite shower and most important tea & coffee making facilities. We paid £140 for two nights bed and breakfast.

The Hotel is in an ideal location along Craigmillar Park Road which is the main route into Edinburgh. You don't need your car once you're there as there's a bus stop outside and as long as you get on a double decker they all travel into Edinburgh within minutes and all for £1! We'd planned a trip down the Edinburgh Vaults for some scares and after a few drinks in a tiny local across from the Tron Church (down some steep steps situated right on the corner) we commenced the tour. What a disappointment especially since they'd advertised it 'as seen on Most Haunted', but I'm not here to review that although I will if anyone wants to know more.

On the Sunday we were travelling to Carnoustie for final day of the Golf Open and asked Chris about breakfast as we planned to leave early and would miss the set times for breakfast. No problem, he said he would put a mini fridge in the room with some milk for cereal and some breads and jam. When we got back from Edinburgh, voila they were in the room waiting!!! We couldn't face going back into Edinburgh for something to eat in the rain, so we chose to have an evening meal in the bar, and very nice too! We were the only people in the Hotel at the time but Chris still made sure we were looked after, his staff are very friendly!

Carnoustie was.....well....wet, but hey as soon as Tiger came out the clouds parted and by god snippets of blue sky appeared. But again, I'm not to here to review Carnoustie, but I can if anyone wants to contact me.

So after a long day we left Carnoustie wet, muddy and extremely tired and headed back to the Hotel for a lovely hot shower and good nights sleep. The next morning we had a traditional Scottish breakfast to set us up for our trip back to Geordie Land, sorry but I just couldn't try the haggis!!

To sum it all up, a lovely hotel in an excellent location. Have a chat to Chris and he'll tell all about good bus routes. We plan to come back again and visit Edinburgh Zoo with the kids (he does a family room), yes, you can get a bus from outside the Hotel.

There are a lot of B&Bs along this strip heading into Edinburgh, but if I were you I'd get on his website and check it out for yourself! Some of the recent reviewers were rather critical of this Hotel, I found it rather charming!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2007

Only met a couple of staff but were very pleasant. Our room was on the front of the road and quite noisey, no double glazing, blinds were filthy, no access to wi-fi, no iron or board, bathroom door wouldnt shut never mind lock. Shower door wouldn't close properly so leaked, but that didn't matter as the shower had the smallest flow of a shower I have ever been under. It was more like a leak in a pipe than a shower. Breakfast was not really up to much, both my wife and I agreed the bacon was only cooked at one end and the sausage might as well have been boiled, not good. The hotel description I found quite funny, they mention "detailed cornicing and traditional blah blah" and then in the breakfast area I find seven sets of tables and four chairs. Each table and four chairs are from Ikea for 99 quid. Not too up market. Would I stay again....................No. Sorry.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2007

Stayed here for my pal's Hen Night, the owners chris and susie were great, nothing was any bother to them and they really helped make the weekend special! they even reopened the bar for us when we got back in!

• Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank crumbleFalkirk
Reviewed 6 July 2007

Couldn't believe how good the rooms and the food were for the price we paid!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family