“Better than expected”

The Northumberland Hotel
Ranked #150 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

After reading some reviews on here i was a bit apprehensive. We stayed at The Northumberland hotel for 1 night to go see the Edinburgh Tattoo. We found the room clean, the beds comfortable and the bathroom spotless. In fact we couldn't of asked for better. The gentleman on the desk when we arrived was very helpful pointing out key places to visit in Edinburgh and marking out on a map where they were and telling you how to get there. We were given a note with all the bus numbers on and told where to get on and off the bus. We didn't stay for breakfast and opted for a bit of a lie in instead but the breakfast room looked really nice and again very clean. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Recently used this hotel to cater for a funeral tea and I have to say, the experience was excellent.

Booking was simple, and the lady on the phone was very friendly. Several more people turned up than I had booked for and the food (which was for around 20 less) was more than enough to feed everyone. Staff at the bar were very nice and, importantly, discreet.

Room for function was great - clean, spacious, well set up and looked freshly decorated. There were male and female toilets just off this room which was very handy. There was also a back door with access to the hotel car park.

The only thing I can say as a VERY slight negative is that the toilets were dated - they were, however, clean.

Food provided was very fresh and we were given a good selection.

Price wise this hotel was really competitive - considerably cheaper than many I had called, yet the standard of the food and service was fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank edinburgh01
Reviewed 30 July 2013

It was good that I could park there and get a taxi for £5 into the city. Just in town to see Calum's Road at the Traverse which was excellent. Accommodation adequate but could have been cleaner. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AnnIsleofSkye
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

The showers didn't work very often, the evening meals where made from cheap super market value range, would never stay again until it was brought up to good standard as other hotels in the area, you can understand why you have to pay in advance because you'd leave after one night.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Mo M
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My room was comfortable and although not big had access to the roof terrace. A nice area to sit out on a pleasant evening. There is a shopping centre within 5-10min walk which has a late opening Sainsburys.

Breakfast was very good and there was a good selection to choose from.

Ample car parking too.

The city centre is easily excessible by bus which run by the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Booked this last minute at room only for £55 pn. Breakfast was extra, as was the Internet, which only connected intermittently. Luggage storage was extra.
The room itself was clean enough but not spotless; paper thin walls; no telephone (what hotel room doesn't have a telephone?); shower door falling off its hinges, which is a health and safety issue; bathroom ceiling light didn't work; bed linen didn't fit, leaving the mattress exposed and the overall appearance was very tired.
It's too far out of the city centre; a 15 minute bus ride, albeit the bus stop is close by and the bus service is good.
Wouldn't recommend.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Looks lovely from the outside. Walked into reception which was a little dated and smelly. Looked to the right and the dinning room looked lovely. Newly refurbished I think. Looked very clean. Lounge area also looked ok. When we arrived early our room was ready. The Lady on reception was very nice. They asked us to pay prior to going up to the room. At the time I did not think anything of it. My god when I walked into the room I was very very disappointed. The building itself is traditional, but very out dated. The Carpet was minging. There was food stains all over and hair everywhere. I said to my husband and 17yr old son there is no way I am staying here. They said its only for one night. We were going straight out and would not be back until late evening, so I agreed to stay. Not once did I take my shoes off and walk on the carpet. Its a good job I had a few glasses of wine prior to returning. The room cost £65.00 for the 3 of us. Breakfast was £7.50 each extra. Rip off. Location in a good spot. Bus stop right across the road. Daysaver £3.50 each. Make sure you have the correct change cos the bus drivers can be funny. I have been to Edinburgh previously and it is a lovely city and would happily return. But definalty not to that dump. What a shame as it is a nice building

Room Tip: I can honestly say I don't know what the other rooms were like. But do not stay in room 2.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family