“100% AVOID!!!”

The Northumberland Hotel
Ranked #149 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Me, my partner and our 7 month old son stayed here this weekend, as it stated on late rooms that it was family friendly & we desperately needed a little break away to relax and thought this place would be suitable... FAR FROM IT!!! Our whole night here was a disaster.Our room had no baby facilities eg, a cot, and apon arrival i expected they would see we had a baby and thought they'd of offered one. No!! So we pushed 2 single beds together against the wall only to step on a used razor blade that was under the bed!! The room was FREEZING and the radiator would not come on (as the staff had turned the heating off) it was that cold we had to take our son to our car at 3.30am and turn the heating full blast as he was like ice despite having 2 duvets and a fleece blanket. No lightbulbs in the lamps! The next day i tried to have a shower and there was no hot water. The housekeer was very helpfull and sweet & put the emergency water supple on for me. Still no hot water. She asked the manager (a small woman who did NOT care one bit and offered me to have a shower in room 2. I went to room 2 only to find guests had just left & it was filthy. The toilet had poo in it still, the shower had pubic hair etc it was awful. Our son then began to get unwell (we later found out he had caught chicken pox from my niece) and were advised by nhs 24 to take him back to fife where they had arranged an emergency appointment with our doctor. Although we had paid to stay an extra night we couldnt for the sake of our son. Despite all of this we were still denied a refund for the extra night we had paid for! Absolute shambles of a hotel DO NOT STAY HERE EVEN IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank JadeHenderson

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

The staff was very nice and they let me leave my car in their park for free all day after I check out. The room was an ordinary one, nothing special but was clean and comfortable. The hotel is about 20 minutes walking from the town centre so was easy to reach walking. I definitely advise this hotel

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Do not book with this hotel, they do not know there own cancellation terms.... so many hotels you can choose from steer clear of this hotel.. manager is rude and has no customer service experience.
Email, website and phone conversation confirmed they dont know there own terms and conditions are

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Xoverseas
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is a hotel at good location for access to the city. The hotel itself is comfortable enough for an overnight stay. The staff seemed to be a little preoccupied probably because of some kind of party in the function hall. Though we stayed in the second floor, there was a lot of music and shouting till midnight. Be advised that there is a surcharge involved if you decide to pay by card.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The rooms and washrooms are matchbox sized.. The carpets are filthy and smell badly..It was hard to spend even a single night in this hotel .and worst of all they debited my card with any random amout a fews days after I left.. Best avoided..

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank review5711
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Just come from there. We stayed there for two nights. The room was walm and the beds were ok to sleep in the bedding was fresh. Yes the carpet needs changing and the bathroom needs a little update but over all it was ok. My only problem was room one is next to the strains which everyone used and were loud. But that's it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank stevenw457
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We had two days and night stay at this Hotel. When i first entered into this room, my first impression was wow. The room was very clean and well dressed, toilets and everything was beyond expectation. I found myself forgotten all my stress when i entered into that room and jumped into the bed for a sound sleep. The hotel was very quite as i couldn't figure out who else living there except one nice young couple next door to me. All facilities were available and easily accessible. Staffs were quite friendly, welcoming and helpful. The hotel was easily reachable by public transport. Price we got was so good, in compare to other hotels or guest houses on that street, that covers everything someone needs for a good stay. To say this in one word "best use of you every penny" i could not give you any better explanation than this. It was a good stay there in a wonderful city, the Edinburgh. I would definitely recommend everyone to consider this hotel for the best uses of their money, you would not be disappointed i am sure. Have a wonderful journey in wonderful Edinburgh.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends