“Luxury but without the price tag”
Review of Kew House

Kew House
Ranked #7 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I cannot praise the accommodation highly enough. It is quite central for good restaurants and visitor attractions. The breakfasts are exceptional. Ian and Allan are so helpful and wonderful hosts.We were forced to stay another night due to the weather and were presented with a bottle of champage. A nice touch I thought, we will return.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joy H
ianEdinburgh, Owner at Kew House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Thank for for your comments. I'm so glad that you managed to enjoy your "enforced" extra night caused by the railway problems. It was a great pleasure to see you again and hopefully it will not be long before you are back at Kew House.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed at Kew House for just one night to attend a orchestral concert . I have stayed at Kew House on business on and off since 2007. The owners Ian and Allan offer a five star service, the rooms are immaculate and equipped and furnished only to the highest quality . They refresh the rooms regularly to maintain the standard. Breakfast is made from fresh quality produce, no cheap sliced white bread or sawdust sausages. Kew House is consistently delivers a friendly helpful and comfortable product which puts the guest first . One us never disappointed and while not cheap offers value for money

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
ianEdinburgh, Owner at Kew House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Thank you for your review of Kew House. It was a great pleasure seeing yourself and your wife again after quite some time. I'm glad we still "tick the boxes" for regular guests as well as new ones. I always think it can be harder to keep regular guests satisfied once the novelty of staying wears off so it's great to find we still can deliver an enjoyable stay for guests who have been coming for years as well as new visitors.
Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed at Kew House for 3 nights to celebrate a special birthday in November 2013. It was our first visit to Edinburgh. We cannot recommend this place or staff highly enough. The quality to details is superb. The owners are so caring and helpful and make sure you are happy with every aspect of your stay. We love to try local restaurants rather than chains when we are on holiday and they had many suggestions to help us. In fact all three nights we went to their personal favourites. Every night was superb. They pre-booked tables for us (which is essential!). Ian & Alan are full of genuine and helpful advice and ideas. Kew House is a nice 10 minute walk from the heart of Edinburgh and Princes Street. There are lots of buses you can jump on but we preferred to walk and look at all the Georgian houses ! Breakfast was a delight - traditional scottish to suit you (and so much besides). Fresh fruits, cereals, cooked, eggs in every way you could wish. You will not want to leave. We stayed in the superior room and feel it was excellent value for money. It was immaculate. Lovely furnishings and fittings throughout. Our trip to Edinburgh was for a special birthday, and this short break certainly has gone down as one our most special breaks away ever. Thank you so much - we really did not want to come home !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
ianEdinburgh, Owner at Kew House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for your review. It's always a bit nerve racking when guests take our restaurant recommendations completely just in case our taste in food is different but I'm glad you agreed with us on all three places we recommended. Trust we when I say that for every one we find and recommend there are two which we would not so I'm glad you agreed with our choices.
Hopefully we'll see you again on the next special birthday!!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I spent 3 nights at Kew House.
On arrival I was welcomed by Ian the welcome is warm and friendly.
Ian give me a map of Edinburgh with the bus numbers to the city on it.
I was then shown to my room a single at the back of the house with a view of the Pentland Hills.
The room is well decorated and coordinated you have everything you need for a comfortable stay.
The single bed is very comfortable which made for a good nights sleep, the bedding is of a good quality.
There is a Lcd tv with a good selection of channels and wifi available throughout the house with no signal issues.
Plenty of tea, coffee and hot chocolate with a chocolate brownie regularly replenished.
There was sherry with a box of chocolates in the room, also when I came back to the room in the evening there was a chocolate on the pillow a nice touch.
The breakfast is excellent you have a choice from a continental to full cooked, the food is excellent quality you will not go hungry here.
Ian and Allan are excellent hosts friendly welcoming and considerate they run a first class establishment, they have a beautiful home it is well kept immaculately clean with good levels of service.
You pay a bit more for Kew House but what you get in return is worth it.

Room Tip: All rooms would be of a high standard.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank saltire_10

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hopefully will see you again.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here during the week over Halloween and would definitely recommend it.
It is a ten minute stroll into Edinburgh, which we liked, but you can also jump on the very frequent buses which take you into Edinburgh in just a few minutes.

The room was lovely and clean as was the rest of the guest house there was also free, secure parking which we needed. Ian and Alan were the perfect hosts, recommending places for us to eat and visit and cooking us a lovely Scottish breakfast in the morning.

I have already recommended Kew house to friends given how expensive it is to stay in the well known hotels in Edinburgh city centre these days.

Thanks for looking after us Ian & Alan!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My daughter, husband and I stayed in Kew House as part of a sight seeing trip to Edinburgh. Our room was absolutely perfect with linens, bedding, beds, bathroom etc. of high caliber. The room was immaculate and luxurious. Colour schemes were relaxing and decor well thought out. There is parking at the back that is fenced in from the alley. Our host efficiently welcomed us to our room.

The breakfast includes a variety of items to satisfy anyone. As well, a hot Scottish breakfast was prepared for each of us - or at least the parts we wanted. Delicious. An effort was made by our hosts to be helpful in regards to questions and engage in conversation.

As you can see, everything seems to have been done perfectly at the Kew House. I am not sure why I felt like I was staying at a hotel rather than a bed and breakfast. I choose B&Bs when I travel because I want more of a feeling of the people living in an area. Although my stay at the Kew House was excellent, I did find it officious. However, I would definitely recommend it as excellent accommodation in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Thank you both for helping us out, when we were badly disappointed elsewhere in the City. Nothing is too much trouble, and we slept soundly in comfy, clean beds. Breakfasts were very, very good! The advice too on eating out, parking, walking etc etc was also very helpful. One of the best I've ever stopped in, thank you.

Stayed: October 2013