“Good location and separate bedrooms”

Holyrood apartHOTEL
Ranked #78 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We liked the location really was steps in
distance to Royal Mile which gets you to Edinburgh Castle and many places to stop in and get breakfast or shopping. On the opposite side of hotel that main street takes you to Hoyrood Palace which was also very close.I enjoyed all the amenities of the aparthotel. I would recommend it to family and friends.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in early December while visiting my son who was studying at the university of Edinburgh. We were walking distance from everything we wanted to see. Easy access to Royal Mile, the University, Grassmarket, Holyrood Palace, Parliament, Prince Street. The room was spotless and it was great having a small kitchen for breakfast and snacks. The staff was very helpful when we had a small emergency with broken luggage.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 December 2013

A little difficult to find in the middle of the night because we took the last train from London. Edinburgh is an old city with lots of streets and hidden streets. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from the Waverley Train Station. You walk down a hill from the station but be prepared to walk up that hill with your luggage on your way out! From the Royal Mile you have to look for the street name under a stone arch to get to the hotel. A bit hard to explain but just keep your eyes open for the street name not on a post on a corner but on a stone structure. Throughout our vacation in Europe, we tried to get apartment hotels so we could make our meals. The Holyrood has one of the nicest kitchens that included a washer/dryer. It was great to be able to do laundry in the middle of our trip so I could pack less. The Holyrood had a binder of instructions for everything in the unit which was very helpful in figuring out how to use the washer. The kitchen and utensils were organized and sufficient for two people. They only had two of everything (two cups, two plates, two bowls, etc.) The double bed was not as comfortable. Our room was on the first floor but that was not a problem since the hotel did have an elevator. Many places in Europe do not and you have to carry luggage up many flights of stairs. The room was clean and spacious specially the kitchen. The bathroom had a full tub and was modern with a towel warmer. We did not expect to have the room serviced every day while we were there but we noticed that the dishes we left in the sink from breakfast were washed for us and the bed made when we returned in the evening.

I am giving this a 4 out 5 because internet was not free. There is a computer in the lobby next to the reception desk for guest use but it was extremely drafty sitting by the window. My husband had to wear his coat just to sit there. Also, if you did pay for the internet, it was only for one device and as a couple, we had both a laptop and an iPad that would need wifi.

Otherwise, the location was good. The service was friendly and adequate. The room was spacious and clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Holyrood apartHOTEL, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Another fantastic review for the Holyrood Aparthotel and my thanks to this guest for taking the time and trouble to share their experiences with our future customers.Many thanks for the kind words regarding our kitchens and apartments in general but I am sorry to have lost that final star - please note that anyone booking through our own wesite WILL get free wifi for the duration of their stay, as well as receiving the very best rate on offer at the time.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I was double charged for my stay and I am yet to get the money back - I have to wait 10 working days for the pre-authorisation charge to be lifted from my visa debit. For some reason I was asked to pay on arrival and then again on departure. I was also told told on arrival I had to pay £50 deposit on top of a 'pre-authorisation' charge of the full amount. Also I specifically asked for a top floor room but on arrival I was given a ground floor room and they told me there was nothing they could do, ground floor - you more or less have to keep the blinds closed so people cant see in. You have to pay for wifi, and the signal is terrible, you have to walk around the room to pick up the signal. We put our passports in the safe and when we tried to get them out, the safe would not open even though the password was correct, and an alarm went off for ages. We had to make so many unnecessary phone calls to resolve all our issues. On the last note the location is a little bit of the way. If I were you planning a trip to the lovely Edinburgh I would chose elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ClarMac
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Where do I start to review this apartment hotel? The smell of vomit and smoke in a non smoking room, being woken up at 1.00am for a flood on another floor or, worst of all, the black rat that ran across my foot in the sitting room of a two bedroom apartment?
Not the fault of the young staff, no management to be seen.
Small apartment. Very plain. At end of a very dark close off the Royal Mile
Please take my advice and don't go there.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Traveller543212013

A most unusual review for the Holyrood Aparthotel, and whilst I can appreciate that the night in question fell far short of our usual standard, there are also a couple of inaccuracies that should be addressed. Firstly, we are in a fabulous location just of the Royal Mile in a bright and airy courtyard, not the end of a dark close. At no time do any of our apartments smell of either smoke or vomit. There was a small leak created by the apartment above but the situation was handled quickly and professionally by the Night Team – I am rarely on duty at 1am which is not unusual – you will find very few Hotel GMs on shift at that time. Finally, the guest in question informed us they had seen a mouse – not a rat – in the apartment. This was quickly handed to our Pest Prevention company who attended swiftly, and although could find no sign of a mouse, took all the preventative measures available. Such sightings are extremely uncommon, but do occur in urban environments such as ours, and are taken extremely seriously and promptly dealt with.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed here weekend 22-25 November. Perfect! Cannot recommend highly enough. Great location just off the Royal Mile. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Room nice and clean, lovely comfortable bed. Good base for visiting the Edinburgh attractions, shops etc. Will most definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Holyrood apartHOTEL, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Another super review for the Holyrood Aparhotel! Many thanks to this guest for taking the time to write such kind words about our apartments, and about our staff. Much appreciated.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Knowing that we were driving up from York, I contacted the hotel before we arrived to find out how we could park our car (for a fee) before we checked in. They were very quick with their response and the information proved to be perfect to get us there. And the carpark was very secure.

Room 500 (on the 5th floor, accessible by the elevator) is a double/twin room with a sofa bed in the lounge. The two bathrooms are side by side - one has a shower/bath and the other just has a shower - but you need a degree to actually have a shower, it's very complicated. I had seen other comments about the rooms being on pump water, but it wasn't until we turned on the kitchen tap that we realised how loud it actually was, although we did get used to it.

The lounge/dining room looks out over the carpark towards Arthur's Seat, it was lovely watching all the people hiking up there.

The kitchen has a dishwasher, microwave, cutlery & crockery and a huge range of complimentary breakfast and snack items... we were there three nights and the four of us couldn't finish all of the goodies. I should also mention that the neaby Tesco's supermarket was great to get meals when you don't want to go out - plus it's relatively cheap.

The washer/dryer is also in the kitchen, which is helpful except for the limited instructions. We ended up going online to find the instructions on the maker's website.

The room is quite noisy - there doesn't seem to be double glazing but, other than that it was just what we needed.

The hotel is located near "Our Dynamic Earth" & the Scottish Parliament and it is just off the Royal Mile.

I found the Holyrood Aparthotel to be a great self-contained option.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

A terrific and comprehensive review for the Holyrood Aparthotel - many thanks to this reviewer for taking the time.