“A very pleasant hotel in a good location”

Holyrood apartHOTEL
Ranked #79 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary over the last weekend in November. The hotel provides a wonderful breakfast with all the normal cereals, fresh bread and plenty of other bits that means your first morning repast will prepare you well for all the walking and sightseeing that is inevitable in Edinburgh. The rooms are clean and warm and although we had a two bedroomed apartment for the two of us (I don't know why I did that but there you are!) the rooms are quite spacious and not badly priced.

Holyrood castle must be Edinburghs prize possession! It is so interesting and it is not often that one gets to wander around in the footsteps of hundreds of years of Royalty and the worlds leaders. A wonderful experience so make sure you do that as it is but a 10 minute walk (or less) from the hotel. The Royal mile is literally yards from the hotel and if you walk uphill you will eventually get to Edinburgh castle. Go at about 12.30 and make sure you catch the 1 0'clock gun firing. Excellent!

All in all a good hotel but don't expect views from most of the rooms as it is well tucked away. A local supermarket is perfect for a the late night bottle of vino or a tasty snack but Edinburgh has some wonderful snacky restaurants with the most friendly staff (many of whom lived nowehere near Scotland for the most part of their lives!). We had a great time in Edinburgh and the hotel is well placed for the most popular touristy things. Shopping in the Princes Street area is a bit if a trek compared to the Royal Mile and we weren't there for shopping so didn't hang around too much in that area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Holyrood apartHOTEL, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

A wonderful and most gratefull received review of our products and services - ,my sincerest thanks to this traveller.

Leon Kiteley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel was well organised and staff were great. Location was good as well: at the bottom of the Royal Mile. Our room was much bigger than expected and very clean. The breakfast and local snacks provided were a lovely touch.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie M
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We liked the location really was steps in
distance to Royal Mile which gets you to Edinburgh Castle and many places to stop in and get breakfast or shopping. On the opposite side of hotel that main street takes you to Hoyrood Palace which was also very close.I enjoyed all the amenities of the aparthotel. I would recommend it to family and friends.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in early December while visiting my son who was studying at the university of Edinburgh. We were walking distance from everything we wanted to see. Easy access to Royal Mile, the University, Grassmarket, Holyrood Palace, Parliament, Prince Street. The room was spotless and it was great having a small kitchen for breakfast and snacks. The staff was very helpful when we had a small emergency with broken luggage.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 December 2013

A little difficult to find in the middle of the night because we took the last train from London. Edinburgh is an old city with lots of streets and hidden streets. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from the Waverley Train Station. You walk down a hill from the station but be prepared to walk up that hill with your luggage on your way out! From the Royal Mile you have to look for the street name under a stone arch to get to the hotel. A bit hard to explain but just keep your eyes open for the street name not on a post on a corner but on a stone structure. Throughout our vacation in Europe, we tried to get apartment hotels so we could make our meals. The Holyrood has one of the nicest kitchens that included a washer/dryer. It was great to be able to do laundry in the middle of our trip so I could pack less. The Holyrood had a binder of instructions for everything in the unit which was very helpful in figuring out how to use the washer. The kitchen and utensils were organized and sufficient for two people. They only had two of everything (two cups, two plates, two bowls, etc.) The double bed was not as comfortable. Our room was on the first floor but that was not a problem since the hotel did have an elevator. Many places in Europe do not and you have to carry luggage up many flights of stairs. The room was clean and spacious specially the kitchen. The bathroom had a full tub and was modern with a towel warmer. We did not expect to have the room serviced every day while we were there but we noticed that the dishes we left in the sink from breakfast were washed for us and the bed made when we returned in the evening.

I am giving this a 4 out 5 because internet was not free. There is a computer in the lobby next to the reception desk for guest use but it was extremely drafty sitting by the window. My husband had to wear his coat just to sit there. Also, if you did pay for the internet, it was only for one device and as a couple, we had both a laptop and an iPad that would need wifi.

Otherwise, the location was good. The service was friendly and adequate. The room was spacious and clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
EdinburghCollection, General Manager at Holyrood apartHOTEL, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Another fantastic review for the Holyrood Aparthotel and my thanks to this guest for taking the time and trouble to share their experiences with our future customers.Many thanks for the kind words regarding our kitchens and apartments in general but I am sorry to have lost that final star - please note that anyone booking through our own wesite WILL get free wifi for the duration of their stay, as well as receiving the very best rate on offer at the time.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I was double charged for my stay and I am yet to get the money back - I have to wait 10 working days for the pre-authorisation charge to be lifted from my visa debit. For some reason I was asked to pay on arrival and then again on departure. I was also told told on arrival I had to pay £50 deposit on top of a 'pre-authorisation' charge of the full amount. Also I specifically asked for a top floor room but on arrival I was given a ground floor room and they told me there was nothing they could do, ground floor - you more or less have to keep the blinds closed so people cant see in. You have to pay for wifi, and the signal is terrible, you have to walk around the room to pick up the signal. We put our passports in the safe and when we tried to get them out, the safe would not open even though the password was correct, and an alarm went off for ages. We had to make so many unnecessary phone calls to resolve all our issues. On the last note the location is a little bit of the way. If I were you planning a trip to the lovely Edinburgh I would chose elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ClarMac
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Where do I start to review this apartment hotel? The smell of vomit and smoke in a non smoking room, being woken up at 1.00am for a flood on another floor or, worst of all, the black rat that ran across my foot in the sitting room of a two bedroom apartment?
Not the fault of the young staff, no management to be seen.
Small apartment. Very plain. At end of a very dark close off the Royal Mile
Please take my advice and don't go there.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Traveller543212013

A most unusual review for the Holyrood Aparthotel, and whilst I can appreciate that the night in question fell far short of our usual standard, there are also a couple of inaccuracies that should be addressed. Firstly, we are in a fabulous location just of the Royal Mile in a bright and airy courtyard, not the end of a dark close. At no time do any of our apartments smell of either smoke or vomit. There was a small leak created by the apartment above but the situation was handled quickly and professionally by the Night Team – I am rarely on duty at 1am which is not unusual – you will find very few Hotel GMs on shift at that time. Finally, the guest in question informed us they had seen a mouse – not a rat – in the apartment. This was quickly handed to our Pest Prevention company who attended swiftly, and although could find no sign of a mouse, took all the preventative measures available. Such sightings are extremely uncommon, but do occur in urban environments such as ours, and are taken extremely seriously and promptly dealt with.