“Terrible,will never go back”
Review of Crofters

Crofters
Ranked #1,492 of 2,457 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Terrible,will never go back”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Wen't there on mother's day with my sons, service was terrible so slow and the food was disgusting! only 2 on the bar as it was mother's day and the derby on tv, there def should have been more bar staff.Ladies toilets in the bar were stinking!

• Visited March 2014
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Crofters, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Jackie C

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Crofters in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

John Barras

West Lothian
“Going downhill”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I used to go here quite a lot and it was always good but I moved away and go every now and then (when I come through) and it has gone downhill a lot! Before, food used to be reasonably quick, drinks used to be reasonably priced and it used to be a lot cleaner. I ate here in September and that's where I realised it was going downhill. Every choice of table was horrible, some covered in plates & glasses or glass marks, the food took half an hour despite it not being busyand the food was okay but not as good as it was. I was in last week, and waited about 15 minutes to get served at the bar and when I asked about food, they were apparently not taking food orders because of a christmas function next door - which I thought fair enough, then some people came in and started ordering food which they got, I thought maybe they are part of the function but they weren't, they done what me and my friend done, just went up with the menu.. This place needs a whole new turnover

• Visited December 2013
“Never again”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This place is absolutely and consistently dreadful. I put up with it to visit at lunchtime with work colleagues from the university next door (by force rather than choice - there's literally nowhere else to go in the area!), but I won't be going for food again. Drinks are ok if there are less than 2 people at the bar, otherwise expect a wait for that too.

A group of four of us visited at lunchtime today and had to wait an hour in total for all of our pub grub meals to be delivered - all ordered a significant period of time (significant enough that we should have finished our food already!) before the place got busy. It took them 40 minutes to deliver one ham, egg and chips, together with a query from the waitress if we were all eating today (?!), a further 10 minutes for us to make a complaint (we kept hoping that the plates the waitresses were offering around every table would be ours but alas not) and be assured our food would take 5 minutes, then another 10 before receiving the remaining nachos (cold, AND left to languish and die under the hot plate for about 20 mins by the looks of it), mozzarella burger and volcanic lasagne.

We're used to mediocre food, long waits and terrible service delivered by the moodiest waitresses this side of Paris at Crofters, but this visit really took the cake. We won't be back unless something drastic changes!

• Visited December 2013
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Crofters, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Catriona R, thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. Your comments were a concern to hear and I would like to investigate your visit further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, John Barras
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Poor show on Friday 13th”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

After arranging to meet family and friends at the crofters on Friday 13th at 5.30, turn up to find the place with cluttered empty tables and to be informed they
Where no longer taking food orders only dealing with bookings. Only hope they managed to clean the place up before there customers who had booked arrived. Nice to know they are doing so well they can turn a party of eight away so early on a Friday night.

Visited December 2013
Prince George, Canada
“Prince Gastronome”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Upon seeing the name of this establishment, I had to immediately research the name. It sounded awesome, like a guild of thieves or an unspoken division of the police department. COMING NEXT SUMMER TO CINEMAS: THE CROFTERS. They were Britain’s last line of—oh, crofters are farmers with small plots. Well, that’s disappointing. It’s like naming a pub The Farmers, which...okay, makes sense in Scotland; I was just expecting something a tad bit more grandiose. It sure looked liked a cool pub. It shared with its Canadian counterparts an overt use of stained wood and rustic decor. However, with the Crofters, it came as a result of an actual dated design and not the intention to appear old fashioned. Also, despite there still being a small number of TVs scattered about, I found no neon alcohol adverts. Good start. It was late in the afternoon; I was minutes away from meeting my future girlfriend for the first time. I knew she wouldn’t be hungry, so I took the liberty to start my Scottish experience on the right foot. I ordered a chicken pot pie.
They’re out of chicken.
Crap
OK, take two, I ordered a steak and ale pie. Better. By this time, my eyes fell on the nearby door, waiting for her to enter. I began to imagine sitting positions I should take, orientations to the door I should assume, opening words I would say. This was our first physical meeting. I gave the chair a slight pivot to face the exit and waited. As it turned out, there was another entrance to the Crofters, and I soon noticed Savanna already staring at me.
I guess I should discuss the food. Like Canada, Scotland appears to prefer making their portions a suitable size for Maori rugby players, and The Crofters is no exception. The pie was a proper one, not some bizarre deconstructionist example of what a pie could look like in some mirror universe where up is down, women are men, and cats are dogs. I had to break apart the thick pastry to get at the piping hot meaty interior. The pie itself was not big, but the stack of fries—oh, I mean chips—was immense, and I could barely finish the plate. The dish was good, an oddity apparently according to my companion given that so many pubs only serve meals as an afterthought to alcohol...so not much different than pubs in Canada then.
It’s difficult to separate my subjectivity from my objectivity in this case, ironic given my constant reminding that I support a critic’s right to be subjective in his or her reviews. The Crofters will be marked as the first meeting place of someone very special to me, so in that, I can’t offer anything critical about it. Thankfully, it wasn’t bad, but recalling that brief hour, I don’t know if there was anything I could pull out as being negative. There was an automatic gambling machine. Okay, that’s one.
Yup, no, that was it. The Crofters is worthy of praise in that it didn’t suck in any specific way, forcing a distraction from more important matters at hand. I mean, I didn’t go, “Holy hell, this food is good!” to my girlfriend the moment she walked in the door. I didn’t waste one second in my conversation with her discussing the qualities of the cuisine. It was enough to be remembered as not bad in a day that was kind of awesome. Take that for all it’s worth.

Food: 3.5/5