“not good.”

Mathers Bar
Ranked #807 of 2,449 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
Neighbourhood: Broughton & Calton
“not good.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I feel bad writing a bad review because the pub itself isn't bad, it was the awful food that let the place down. My burger tasted raw but was warm in the middle and was swamped with weird spices. I felt totally cheated out of £10 for it. We'd been previously and it was decent but something has changed. The staff did come and ask if everything was ok, I think they'd seen that I hadn't eaten much but to be polite and save any aggro, I just said I was full. Won't be going back.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Jamiebonbons

Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Guiness & Burgers...........My Heaven !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Its New Years Day and I wanted to watch some football, have a pint of the 'Black Stuff' and something to eat.
So at 'Mathers Bar' I got the Guinness, had a great burger, I took on the 'Beast', (double cheeseburger) and won, but was let down with the football because Man United are not the same team under Moyes-not the Bar's fault of course !!!!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Kidders5
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great pub - but urgently needs to review customer-service!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Outrageous behaviour from a 'senior' male staff member managed to spoil everything that was positive about this bar. When asked by at least three customers if he would switch channels for a four minute horse-race on Boxing Day he point-blankedly refused. When asked why he said he had 'other customers to consider'..... when it was then pointed out to him that there was nothing but 'numbers' on all FOUR screens his reply was, quote.."well you can just piss off then"....which we did....all five of us!
Great bar but arrogant customer service suggests an elitism that has no place in the modern-day pub-trade.........we'll not be back - too many other great pubs without an attitude problem!

• Visited December 2013
6 Thank Phil C
“Top notch burgers and staff !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Just dined at Mathers and have to say well impressed. Great first impression with the bar staff, friendly and welcoming. We ordered a BBQ burger and a cheesy boy burger. Both cooked spot on and the home made relish is 10/10. Would highly recommend and good luck to anyone who can eat the double burger !

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Friendly service - tasty burger”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

We visited Mathers on a nice Saturday afternoon armed with an itison voucher for two burgers and two drinks.
Service was extremely friendly from the moment we arrived and were shown to a booth. Its a long time since either of us were in Mathers, and it has obviously been refurbished. Our booth was great, with plenty of room for the two of us. Four would also find that they had plenty space. The walls were decorated with stamps, nice wooden table, comfy banquets, and everything was nice and clean.
We ordered a half pint of Schiehallion and a glass of red wine to drink. Burgers were a breakfast burger with sausage, fried egg and bacon, and a Hot Lips Cajun burger which was a cajun spiced burger with jalepones, house salsa and chipotle sauce. Served on a nice wooden board with fries and a red cabbage coleslaw, the burgers came on a sesame seed bun. On the table we had the usual salt and pepper, squeezy mustard and their own tomato relish. The waitress also brought us tomato and brown sauce. We tried their home made one. Quite fruity, very pleasant. The burgers were tasty. The breakfast one was a bit large for my mouth,but I forced it in. Very nice. The spicy burger could have had a hotter kick for us, probably okay if your not into hot spice.
Most enjoyable, tasty food, great service and good beer and wine. Recommended.

• Visited November 2013