“Well located but watch the train timetables on a Sunday morning”

Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel
Ranked #32 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Well located but watch the train timetables on a Sunday morning”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Travelled by train from London for a family long weekend stay. Hotel, rooms, staff and food were all excellent. Restaurant service was a little slow but nothing to be concerned about.

I chose the Premier Inn at The Gyle because I could not find a reasonably priced family hotel in central Edinburgh. The only downside is that the otherwise frequent train service from Edinburgh Park station (directly next door to the hotel) into central Edinburgh had some 40 - 45 minute gaps on a Sunday morning between 0800 - 1100. Otherwise services were frequent and quick into central Edinburgh via Haymarket (5 minutes) and Waverley (7 minutes). A family day return ticket into central Edinburgh for 2 adults and up to 4 children was a very reasonable £5.80.
Also, a tram stop going one way to Edinburgh airport and the other to central Edinburgh and onto Leith is being constructed next to Edinburgh Park rail station. This will make the location even better and travel worries lessen when it is completed in mid 2014.

A great choice if you have young children and are not too worried about venturing out late in Edinburgh after a days sightseeing. We will be returning!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank David B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
PJSmart
Reviewed 27 April 2012

As others have said, by car this is hideous to find, but I did receive a courtesy call earlier in the day to see if I was okay finding it. I thought I was!

TomTom users, your nav will pick up Lochside Court, but will try to send you in the wrong way. Best to find Edinburgh Parkway station and head for that. Otherwise use the directions from Morissons that are a few reviews down.

The hotel IS spotlessly clean, and has the new automated check in desks which work perfectly well.

My first gripe was the WiFi not working, closely followed by being told to fetch the pizza that was meant to be delivered to the room. Small things, but after a long drive, and the faff of finding it became bigger issues.
If I didn't have a lot of work to do I wouldn't have bothered, to be fair to the helpful lady on reception she was happy to let me work in the meeting room as the WiFi worked in there.
I suggested maybe an alternative room seeing as not all the network was down. This was sorted, new room on the top floor was quiet and clean with working WiFi. Job done.

Breakfast was a buffet type, which is fine as long as someone monitors it and doesn't let things become dried out and soggy. It didn't appear that was done here unfortunately, and now the breakfasts are over 8 quid (with the addition of hash browns?) It starts to look less value for money.

Summary - hotel staff, spot on couldn't fault them.
Restaurant staff - stressed - busy so service suffers.
Hotel condition - perfect
Location - once you find it is very good, and you can't really hear the trains.
Once the maps have caught up, and the initial teething troubles have been worked out it'll be a cracking hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
5 Thank PJSmart
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2012

i stayed here on business, first we have the good things about the hotel, its location is excellent, the town centre is just minutes away on the train ( the train station is next door). It also has a Costa coffee attatched and has some very up to date check in services. the reception staff were excellent on arrival and even were still able to deal with requests day or night.

Now the bad things- we waited a very long time in their thyme restaurant between starter and main, and didnt stay for dessert just because of this. The service provided was average due to staff being stressed about the restuarant being busy. This definatly made the expierence put on a bad note. But the restaurant manager made our night, Ritchie was proffesional and sympathetic which was a nice touch. He obviously had realised the staff were stressed as it was new staff in the morning, a spanish man and a guy with glasses, made us feel like friends rather than just guests. very nicely done Ritchie.

I will be back because of managment and breakfast team. hopefully without waiting for courses.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank bigbridge_12
Liverpool
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I stayed here with my family and a family of friends for easter and what a great experience we had! Dont be put off with how hard it is to find, its a brand new building so its gonna have some teathing with directions but we found it no problem.

On arrival we could see straight awayhow fresh and vibrant this hotel was. The staff, particulary hanne were most helpful on check in.

The rooms were spotless and the beds were so comfy! I find it hard to sleep in other places but this was not a problem here!

This premier inn is not your average and the staff go above and beyond their job roles to make sure of that. They really did make the hotel what it is. Theres a few worth a mention and a look out for. Alex, the chap who seated us was very friendly and knew what he was doing. he was great with us and the kids. Richie (i think a manager) also made chat with us and gave the kids some nachos to keep them going until the food came. Debbie the girl that served us (every night) was very genuine and remembered us each time asking how our days were and what we had been up to. She actually took an interest in us and the kids, very nice touch!

The food in this hotel is great! Theres never a long wait and its always very tasty, including breakfast. Go for the meal deal - 3 course dinner and a drink and an all you can eat breakfast in the morning! We loved our server there, Angel he was adorable! Debbie was on breakfast one morning too much to my 10 year old sons delight! We had an amazing time and theres not one single fault witht his hotel. The staff made our stay and we will be back in summer hoping to see them all again. Thank you all for a great weekend!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kim S
United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012 via mobile

Really excellent new travel inn. Located directly opposite Edinburgh Park train station. However, be warned, you will need much patience, a compass, and ordinance survey maps to find it. Forget using a sat nav. It genuinely was a nightmare to locate by car. That aside, a super travel inn.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank CJHM74
Reviewed 18 April 2012

What a fantastic hotel. I stayed for two nights and loved every moment of my time here I was checked in rather late on my first night suprised to see the the staff where still expecting me even at 4am by a charming and most pleasent lady helen, I was given allethe information I required with out asking for it whick was a nice change. during the night I then called to book taxis for the following day, not a problem the gentlman even offered to get me a grab and go breakfast prior to me getting my taxi which was a lovley I idea even though I declined. the restaurant staff and debbie especially made me feel welcome without being preasured and uncomfortable a great service with great food. all the staff aknowlage you which is an asset to them the site is now on my top 10 I Will Be back but next time ill bring friends

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Andybell2
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I felt I had to take the time to write a review of this hotel because it was an excellent little find and it proved to be great value for money. This was my second stay in a premier inn and i managed to book a twin room in this hotel for £59 for the night which was an absolute bargain.

After i booked we were slightly concerned about the 5 mile drive to the city centre as we'd heard the roads in Edinburgh were a bit chaotic. We needn't have worried as we discovered that there's a train link to the city centre right on the doorstep of the hotel. This was great because it saved the stress of driving to the city centre and at the same time it saved us a fortune on city centre car parking prices as parking at the hotel was free. win-win!

The hotel itself was brand new so it was lovely and modern which is always nice. It had everything we needed and the staff couldn't have been any nicer so all in all a great stay and well worthy of a good review.

I would certainly use this hotel again, good job Premier Inn!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends