“Hated the automated check-in!!”

Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel
Ranked #31 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I stay in Premier Inns on average twice a month or so.I rarely post reviews on them because
they are usually so reliable and re-assuringly predictable, but I made an exception in this case.

Call me old-fashioned perhaps, but to be honest when I check into a hotel, I don't want to be confronted with a glorified cash-dispenser and have to go through the check-in process myself !!What's the problem with being met by a friendly receptionist?? Ironically, as I approached the machine, one of the soon-to-be-made-redundant "receptionists" came over and spent so long explaining the process to me, that she could have done it herself! I must say though, I had no problems with her personal attitude and she was very helpful.

Ultimately of course, this is a comercial decision all about saving staff costs. (Even though Premiier Inn prices are gradually creeping up).

I'm sure the automated check-in is here to say, but with regards to customer service, it's a retrograde step.

As usual, all other aspects of the stay were exactly as I anticipated and I had a perfect nights sleep.

With regards to location of the hotel, the Edinburgh Park Inn is in a great spot. It's directly beside the Edinburgh Park Rail station which has trains every 15 minutes or so into Edinburgh Waverly station.. (Journey time, ten minutes or so).

Ample free on-site parking too.

2  Thank Tim M
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

Thank you for your review.

At Premier Inn we always try to give our customers a comfortable and friendly stay, and I apologise if you have felt let down by our brand, and by the lack perhaps of a few homely details.

We really value your feedback, as it allows us to improve our standards and make our hotel experience more enjoyable.

Thank you once again for your review; we hope to welcome you back soon.

Naina
Social Media Team,

Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.

There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel

Reviewed 27 October 2012

Stayed as a family to visit Edinburgh for a couple of nights. Located in the middle of a new and developing business park - people mentioned Sat Navs not working but to be honest it is not a problem to find if you use a map and eyes as it is a huge building ! Staff very helpful and friendly.

It is in the middle of nowhere - but is next to the train station - 2 stops to Waverley station. If you do take the train, check tickets for peak / off peak as off peak cannot be used between 4.30 and 6pm.

We ate in the restaraunt on the first night on the meal deal - but on the 2nd night could not get a table until around 9pm so had to go elsewhere with 3 hungry kids. Hence, a tip would be to book a table in advance if you want to eat at peak times - we were not that organsied ! Unfortunately, due to its location, there are very few other places nearby to eat so if you are planning on eating in the hotel, please book ! We ended up driving to a local shopping centre food court - not ideal but we were lucky in that we had a car !

Food in the hotel was typical Premier Inn fayre for dinner and breakfast. There is a Costa Coffee bar and vending machines too. There wasn't any room service, but I guess that is the same in all Premier Inns ?

Overall we had a relaxing stay and would stay here again given the welcome, the price and ease of travelling into the city centre.

Room Tip: Reserve a table in the restaraunt if you want to eat at peak time
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2012

for just over £40 a night the hotel was great value. its new which helps but everywhere was clean and rooms larger than i would normally expect in a premier. close to the railway station but no noise was heard and has a costa on premises which was good. would recommend

Reviewed 24 October 2012

You cannot open the bedroom windows at this Premier Lodge. The rooms are air conditioned but the air conditioning does make a noise. Withouit the air conditioning on the rooms are very stuffy and uncomfortable. When I was departing I was asked how was my visit? I explained that the rooms are stuffy because the windows cannot be opened. The receptionist explained all new Premier Inn's will be built like this with no opening windows.No offer was made to refund my costs under the Good Night Gaurentee!!!
A bad move on Premier Lodges part. I for one will not be staying at The Park again but will choose another local hotel, just down the road that does have opening bedroom windows.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel chain down the road
2  Thank outofthecity57
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We stayed 2 nights end September - seeing a band in Edinburgh. Fantastic choice for access to the city - left the car and took the train. Staff were great - they seemed genuinely happy to be working there and the guy working at breakfast told us it was a great team of staff they had - we couldn't fault them. We were given a room with an adjoining door but these freak me out so we asked to be moved. No problem. Room was immaculate. I'm going back for shopping trip at end November. Maybe should be keeping this find a secret.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank enhgmum
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Just stayed for two nights at this Premier Inn at Edinburgh Park and cannot fault it. It is fairly new,
(just opened in February) and feels squeaky clean.
The room was spacious and comfortable,the bathroom had a good shower and bath. Although a fair distance from the centre of Edinburgh, frequent trains stop at the adjacent station and you can be on Princes St within a quarter of an hour.
The Staff were friendly and helpful... but I have never met a Premier Inn employee who has been anything but!
I would not hesitate to book a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Dooby7
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I stayed here in Sept 2012 whilst going to see a show in Edinburgh City. The hotel was lovely and clean and the staff very friendly and good with their local knowledge. The hotel is situated in a more commercial area and has plenty of parking, the train station is literally across the road from the hotel which makes getting into Edinburgh centre so easy. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family