Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel
Ranked #39 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This hotel is very strategically located to reach Edinburgh and its attractions with no hassles. Train station on your doorstep but no problems with noise. Trains are very regular and you can get to the heart of Edinburgh in 10 minutes. Also took train from this train station to reach inverness. Tickets for train need to be bought many times from the waverly train station. Watching tattoo at 9pm, found train at train station immediately without any hassle. Breakfast is very good especially the vegetarian sausage. Am not a vegetarian and tasted it out of curiosity but found it to be excellent. It was great to be able to dine at hotel after a day out and go straight to bed. TV choice is also very good. Only down side is toilet paper which is much too cheap!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank fleurvella
Tony H H, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear fleurvella

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Premier Inn during your recent visit to Scotland.

I am delighted to learn that you were impressed with the location & high standard that we consistently deliver for our guests.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast & tried our vegetarian sausages, certainly agree that they are a great product to start your day with.

I hope that you had a great time with us here in Edinburgh, during the festival & look forward to seeing you back with us again in the future.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,740)

Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Gyle for 4 nights whilst visiting Edinburgh in a family room. The hotel is situated next door to Edinburgh Park train station and is literally a 1 minute walk from the hotel entrance. With the station being so close we were expecting some noise in our room but this was not the case and was pleasantly surprised how quiet it was. The trains into Edinburgh ran regularly and off peak it was £3 return for an adult. Children travelled free which was a bonus. The hotel is modern and very clean and the room was excellent. Parking was free and on site with lots of spaces. Breakfast was tasty and plentiful and you have the added bonus of a Costa Coffee being on site which meant I could pick up a latte before hopping on the train. We ate in the hotel restaurant one night and the food was good and service was friendly. We visited the zoo by getting the number 12 bus which drops you right outside the zoo. The bus stop is about a 10-15 min walk from the hotel. There is also a retail park 10-15 mins walk away with a large Tesco, KFC and Krispy Kreme Donuts which is a real bonus when you have had a busy day in Edinburgh and you just want a snack. The price we paid was higher than we normally pay for a Premier Inn but this was expected due to it being the school holidays and the Fringe being on in Edinburgh. However we still felt like it was great value for money and certainly a lot cheaper than some of the central Edinburgh hotels. Would definitely stay again when visiting Edinburgh. My only criticism is the wi-if is a little over priced at £3 per day. After our visit to the Gyle we stayed in a small B & B in Staffordshire and their wi-if was free!! Even if Premier Inn can't offer it free they should offer a discounted rate when staying for more than one night.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank tiggerBristol

Dear tiggerBristol

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Premier Inn during your recent visit to Scotland, & I am happy to hear that you took full advantage of location to visit the pandas at Edinburgh Zoo by taking one direct bus to their door step.

I am delighted to learn that you were impressed with the location & high standard that we consistently deliver for our guests & enjoyed both our restaurant & costa coffee store.

In regards to the wifi, we do currently charge £3 for 24 hours (or £10 for 7 days usage), which versus some of our hotel competitors is fantastic value, but this is something that I will highlight with my head office.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 4 nights(July 30th-August 2nd) with my husband and 2 children. The hotel is conveniently located right in front of Edinburgh Park train station, from where you can take the train to the city center(Waverley Station) on a 10 min train ride. It's in a very quiet place, but there's a small shopping center within a walking distance(less than 10 min walk) with a huge Tesco Supermarket(wonderful!),a Decathlon and a KFC store. The hotel staff is great(all of them!), but I'd like to give a special thank to IONA for being so helpful! Nice breakfast and if you want to go for quick coffee in the morning, there's a Costa inside the hotel. They give you discount for the coffee at certain time of the day(from 5:00pm to 7:00pm,if I'm not mistaken).Rooms were cleaned every morning and towels changed. There's no minibar in the room, but they do have vending machines on the ground floor with snacks and sodas.
Staying at this hotel was a very nice experience. It's definitely value for money!
Well, overall it was a very nice experience staying at this hotel and I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Crisdxb

Dear Crisdxb

I am delighted to learn that you were impressed with the high standard that we consistently deliver for our guests. In particular, all of our team here are passionate in delivering high levels of service & I am delighted that this was noticed by your family.

I have passed on your compliment to Iona, who was delighted that her enthusiasm has left a great impression with you & made your stay with us even better.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us here in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

I stayed here for work in August. Much preferred it over the Novotel nearby because of the room temperature. Temp was much easier to control, towels were much better than in Novotel - nice and fluffy. Bed was comfy, TV, Fridge, hairdryer etc. Fab big batch. On the downside - service in restaurant is awful. Don't think it is the staff as they were very busy and smiley. Think the kitchen is maybe not able to cope with a busy restaurant. When the food was served, it was delicious.
I would stay here again. However, like all hotels in Edinburgh during the festival, the usual room rate increased by 50%.
The negative scores below reflect the restaurant, not the accommodation.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Larkhall

I am delighted to learn that you were impressed with the high standard that we consistently deliver for our guests & loved all the facilities on offer within our bedrooms.

Please accept my apologise that your experience in our restaurant was not as positive as the hotel, I have passed on comments to the kitchen team & as a direct result we have made some changes which should ensure that all of guests get a great experience when didning in our restaurant.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us here in Edinburgh & will endeavour to ensure that this is a positive experience all round.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stay in this hotel for 3 nights 1st time in Edinburgh, arriving to the hotel was easy enough from the airport arrived at half 9 and left my case with the hotel so i got sight c round Edinburgh. Checked in at half 5 check in easy enough with the self check in desk.

Now here's the awful part decided to get a shower after walking all day. After getting out of the shower noticed the bed linin had not been changed from the last guest cause it had dried blood on plus lots of little hairs so got dried only to notice the towels where in the same shape gross not very nice. So reported it to reception they were quick to fix it and told me the room was checked twice not sure how they missed something as big as that but it was fixed promptly. Thinking if that was the only thing that could go wrong i would be happy but I was wrongte next early Sunday after being at a weddening the fire alarm goes off waken me out of my sleep am not complaing about the fire Alarm my complent is that when leaving my room I had no idea where to go no staff around o guide u when i did c a member of staff i ask what was going on she said quote "I dnt no I just clean rooms" so made my way down to reception and was told it was a false Alarm and they thought it was funny if it had of Been a real a few members of staff on the landings to guide people would be nice. Now my 1st complent was the bed linen had dried blood in it and was filth on check in I thought it was i one time thing o no I was round on Sunday morning when the bed was done again i return to the room to find they had changed my bed with the same blood stained sheets and yellow stained bed cover completely disappointed in the standards of the house keeping haveing already complained about it once on check in I was surprised they did not take more care when changeing it on the Sunday when I went to reception again to complain I could not find a manger which was strange. Although in saying that the reception team where great in fixing the problem but its a problem that should not have happened twice in the same stay.

As for the rest of the hotel bar service could be better as I was asked my a member of staff would I like a drink when i answered yes I was then told he was not trained but he would find someone. Also the breakfasts in the premiere inn have not changed still over priced and flavourless.

If they improve the housekeeping standards and the breakfasts I would stay again as your close to the rail way station to get into the city centre.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Simon M

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Premier Inn during your recent visit to Edinburgh.

Please accept our apologise for the issues that you experienced & do hope that you are happy that our team actively used the Good Night Guarantee to fix the issues highlighted.

In regards to the Fire Alarm, all of our team are fully trained to assist allof our guests to exit via the nearest fire exit, so this is something that I will retrain to all of our team.

Please accept our apologise that we did not achieve the required room standard that we strive to achieve, I am happy that Kerry (reception) serviced the room to ensure that this was to the correct standard, but unfortunately have no reasoning why there would be any issues again on Sunday as the linen was changed & checked by 2 different supervisors on the day.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us here in Edinburgh & will ensure that we deliver the standard that we strive to achieve for all of our guests.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Ideally located, 1 min walk to train, 15 min train to waverley station, traindps run every 10mins or so.
We had hire car so parking was a must when looking for hotel in edinburgh and there is plenty parking here, the hotelstaff were very frendly and professional, we ate in restuarant one evening, very pup gub type menu but cant complain about food quality or quantity, and the prices are very resonable.
Bar staff had gone awol one afternoon but after asking to be served at reception there was someone sent to serve immediatly.
Great value hotel, highly recommend

Room Tip: I imagine all rooms are the same, we had a from and rear room and never heard any train noise......s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank poppy-pink-pop

Dear poppy-pink-pop

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Premier Inn during your recent visit to Scotland & delighted to hear that the hotel really set you up to enjoy your time here with us in Edinburgh.

I am happy to learn that you were impressed with the fantastic location, which as you have highlighted gets you into the city centere in 10 minutes.

All of our team are consistently delivering outstanding service to all of our guests & I am delighted that this was noticed by yourself & your family.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us here in Edinburgh or alternatively with one of our 650 Premier Inn hotels located across the Uk & Ireland.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed for 3 nights and although out of town, it is only 10-15 minutes by train (3 pound each return)into town and easy to get out and about in the car to see the surrounds. This was our first experience with Premier Inn and it was a good one, the staff were friendly and helpful with checking in using the self serve checkin kiosks, the dinner was good and not overly expensive. There is not much food around Edinburgh park, so they have a captive market. Parking was free. After reading all the reports about the hotel being hard to find, our GPS took us straight there when we entered the post code EH12 9FX.

The room was quite large and the bed fairly firm and comfortable. There are limited toiletries (body wash and hand sanitizer only) and the towels are medium sized. The step into the bath/shower is quite high and their is not much to hang on to so be careful if you are short or unsteady on your feet. The room was nice and quiet and the aircon was quiet. The curtains are good for keeping out the sunlight and we both had a good sleep.

There is no fridge in the room and not much storage space If staying longer, although there is hanging space for your clothes. The TV has a lot of channels and even has a sleep function, if you can work out how to get to it.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple