“Very good value hotel between the airport and the city” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel

Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel
Ranked #34 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Mississauga, Ontario
“Very good value hotel between the airport and the city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Spent 1 night at this hotel before our return home, so we needed a hotel close to the airport but not very expensive. This was it. The best: 1) the tram station is just outside the hotel: about 10 min to the airport and about 20-30 to the city centre; 2) also good value for money; 3) free parking in the hotel's parking lot. The not so good: as with all other premier inn hotels, is the charge for wifi internet - GBP3 per day (while all other places we stayed at while in Scotland had no wifi charges). The 30 minutes free wifi per day expire 30 minutes after you first log in (i.e., you can't save your unused minutes if you logged out say after 10 minutes and want to use your "balance" say 2 hours later).
Room and bath were clean and good size four our needs. Hotel (our room) was quiet. Staff were very helpful and courteous.
No proximity to restaurants, so one is limited to eating at the hotel's restaurant or drive or take the tram to a restaurant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RobertJohn_Canada
Tony H H, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear RobertJohn_Canada

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Premier Inn during your recent visit to Edinburgh.

It’s great to hear that you have found us to be the best option for a one night stay before leaving for the airport. With Edinburgh airport being only 10 minutes away by car and Edinburgh city centre being only 10 minutes by Train, we are located perfectly between both. With lower than city centre prices and we don’t charge for car parking this just adds to our great value.

We provide 30 minutes of free Wi-Fi per day for our guests for more it only costs £3 for 24 hours. If we were to provide free Wi-Fi for all our guests we would have to raise our prices. Not all our guest require Wi-Fi so we believe that having it as extra gives our guests the best possible room rate.

I’m pleased that you found our rooms to be clean and of a good size. Our team here enjoy looking after our guests and I am happy to hear that they were helpful and courteous towards you.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is a really good Premier Inn. The facilities are pretty much exactly what you'd expect as they are obviously part of the large chain of hotels, but the staff go above and beyond and the rooms and restaurant are really nice. I visited the restaurant late in the evening after a long journey from the Isle of Skye and asked if the food could be prepared to take to the rooms. I was expecting either to be told no, or that there was a much reduced choice, but the barman explained I could choose anything. I chose a lovely platter to share with my husband and this was cooked to order and parcelled up really sensibly so I could take it upstairs. I also ordered two coffees which the barman promptly made when I first ordered - he then realised that they might have cooled when the food arrived and insisted that I have fresh ones. This is serious attention to detail from a chain hotel and I was really impressed. Thank-you, I'm sorry I didn't get your name!

Breakfast the next day was the only slight disappointment, as it seemed to be the usual Premier Inn food.....I do understand the considerations and constraints but I think it would set the chain apart if they would only use fresh, local food supplied directly to their hotels. I don't come to Scotland for the full English!

Although we didn't use it, you could fall out of the hotel door and into the station which was served by both trains and trams. I also saw several buses - I presume these stop at the station and connect with the city too.

All in all a really good Premier Inn, located in a sensible place for the airport, a stop over on the way north/south or a good place to explore the city from. It was lovely and quiet as it was situated on a business park. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: All would be good as they are identikit Premier Inn rooms - nice and clean too.
Dear not_big-not_clever

I’m pleased that you have had a great stay with our hotel and I’m very happy that you find our team to go above and beyond! Our Thyme restaurant do their best to accommodate our guests need and I’m glad that our barman looked after you and had your meal prepared for you to take to your room as well as prepared you fresh coffees. Our team here do everything they can to ensure our guests enjoy their stay and always go that extra mile when they can.

I’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our all you can eat Premier breakfast. As a brand we like to be consistent across all our hotels. This means our Premier Inns all provide the same all you can eat Premier breakfast so that you know you will receive the same great value breakfast wherever you stay.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I’m pleased that you would recommend our hotel.

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here for a wedding over two nights. With the tram and the local train less than 100m away access into Edinburgh was cheap and quick: £1.50 for a single ticket into the centre, way less than a parking fee. Also great car parking facilities at the hotel.

Reception was excellent and the room (as you would expect from Premier Inn) clean and spacious with standard furniture. I do like the "Good night's sleep promise".

We had breakfast on both mornings and the quality was first rate and you could have as much as you could eat.

To be honest, why would you stay anywhere else if you were visiting Edinburgh and wanted somewhere clean, spacious and accessible.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
Dear ShiplakeHM

I’m thrilled to hear that you have had such a great time staying with our hotel. I’m glad you made great use of our fantastic transport links to Edinburgh city centre. Having free parking for our guests makes it much easier and cheaper to take public transport than to have the hassle of driving into Edinburgh and looking for expensive parking.

Our reception team are very pleased to hear that you found them to be excellent. Our team work very hard to look after our guests and do everything they can to ensure a great stay. Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel.

Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Great stay for a family of three. Quick simple check in and up to a nice, clean quiet room. Considering we overlooked the Train and Tram stops, we didn't hear any noise, and I am a very light sleeper. Trams were a fantastic way to commute to the centre of Edinburgh and very reasonable for a family day ticket £7.50, which covers bus journeys too. Staff were friendly and very helpful. We ate out, so I can't comment on the restaurant, however breakfast was perfect and plenty of choice. Only one tiny negative and it's not about the hotel, it was the Sat-Nav postcode, it took us to the retail park where we could see the hotel but couldn't access it from that side of the tracks, and this is noted on the confirmation e-mail from the hotel and they do supply three postcodes, the third one was the one that got us there. Would definitely use again and highly recommend.

Dear SuperDon_1983

I’m pleased to hear that you have had a great stay with our hotel. Using our ‘Quick+Easy’ check in our guests are able to check in efficiently giving them more time to speak to our team. I’m happy to hear that you also did not experience any Train noise. Our windows are sealed shut and insulated to minimise any outside noise as well as the Train not running between 12am-6am this all ensures our hotel to be very quiet.

I’m happy to hear that you have found our team to be helpful and friendly. We are sorry you did not have the opportunity to enjoy our Thyme restaurant but I hope you had a wonderful time in Edinburgh.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Great stay here - despite needing a family room (the joys of travelling with children!) couldn't fault anything here at all. Great location too for accessing Edinburgh AND Glasgow and outstanding staff.

Rooms
Dear Rachel S

I’m happy to hear that you have had a great stay at our hotel and enjoyed our fantastic location. Our team strive to ensure the best possible service to each of our guests and I’m thrilled that you found our team to be outstanding.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Thanks to newly opened tram service this hotel has got amazing link to the city centre. Tram stop is on the door step and the price of £7.50 for daily family ticket makes it probably the cheapest option to travel around Edinburgh.
Everyting else of typical Premier Inn quality with very friendly staff.
We were disappointed wit Thyme restaurant which not only have very limited choice of food but also the food was simply not tasty. Something wich Premier Inn's restaurant usualy delivers... I would recommend eating somewhere else... (Breakfast was fine, but it is really hard to make fried egg bad ;) )

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Karolina E
Tony H H, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Karolina E

I’m pleased that you have enjoyed the great transport links we have for reaching Edinburgh city centre. As well as the Trams running every 8-10 minutes the Train runs every 15 minutes to Edinburgh Waverly. I am happy to hear that you also found our team to be friendly.

I’m very disappointed to hear that you were did not enjoy our Thyme restaurant. Our menus evolve through guest feedback and we have rolled out our new menu with 29 main courses. These range from pizzas to pastas, salads to grilled dishes and since we have rolled out this menu we have had mainly positive feedback. On your next visit should you have any specific dinner requirements please let our team know and we will be do our best to accommodate.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The food at thyme is good and it's only a few minutes from the train station the beds are comfy and the sign in is easy there is a small costa coffee next door the train noise is a problem though the sofa bed are slightly uncomfy and it's hard to find but you're guaranteed sleep between 10 and 7 as this is quiet time

Stayed July 2014
Tony H H, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear immie h

I’m pleased that you found our beds comfy and our Thyme restaurant to be good. Our Costa Coffee is open from 7am-7pm Monday to Friday and 8am-4pm Saturday and Sunday. I’m sorry to hear that you had a little issue with train noise. This is a very rare occurrence. The trains do not run past midnight and our windows are insulated to minimise any noise. If you prefer on your next visit if you can call us the night before we will do our best to allocate you a room further from the train station.