“Comfortable hotel but slightly remote...”

Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel
Ranked #35 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here because hotels in the city were busy and expensive with the Festival. It was a bit a schlep by tram but finally got there. The hotel looked modern, check in was a bit tiresome as there was an issue with my booking but the room I had was great. I was only there for a night but it had plenty of room, a really comfortable bed and air conditioning too. Wifi speed was ok. Breakfast was great and a taxi appeared to take me to my office within 5 minutes. Would be ideal for the airport as only a few tram stops away but I wouldn't normally stay there myself as it's not convenient for the city or our local office. Overall nice hotel if the location works for you.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Tony H H, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear SJS15

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Premier Inn during your recent visit to Edinburgh.

I’m really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms to be comfortable. I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed our all you can eat Premier breakfast. We are conveniently located next to Edinburgh Park train station. This makes travelling to the city centre much easier than venturing in by car and it will only take 10 minutes.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is part of a large UK chain (for Americans, think Comfort Inn). Rooms were comfortable and clean if a bit small; we stayed as a family of four so the two separate twins plus double (as opposed to the usual two double/queen arrangement) was appreciated. Breakfast was extra (was ok, not great). So was wifi after 30 minutes (which is really odd) but it didn't work at all anyway which was a big problem. Staff was very helpful and friendly which is the reason I gave this 4 stars instead of 3.

I could easily see staying here for a business trip in the area (which is one big office park), and with the train and tram both right outside the hotel getting into the city center was pretty easy. But it did take awhile (30 minute train trip, not including waiting) and meant we couldn't easily go back to the hotel, freshen up, and then go out for dinner again without driving all the way (sort of defeating the purpose). So if I were to do it again I would pay a little more and stay closer in.

Dear mattne

I’m happy to hear that you found our hotel to be comfortable and clean and that you also liked our room set up for a family. I’m sorry that you found our Wi-Fi to be problematic we have recently had our Wi-Fi updated by our supplier and it is now running faster.

If you would like to reach the city centre quickly the train from Edinburgh Park to Edinburgh Waverly will only take 10 minutes. The tram however will take you around 15-20 minutes.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here following a tiring day at Edinburgh Zoo, just wanting something to eat and a good nights sleep, the bedroom was fine, comfortable and air conditioned, but there was dust on the bedside lamp shades which I paid no attention to until we called at out daughters room and hers were the same!!

The biggest gripe with this hotel is its location, with the exception of the on site and frankly overpriced restaurant, there is nowhere to eat within walking distance.

Room Tip: Have something to eat before you travel to the hotel, there is nowhere local to eat! and give the l...
Thank gornalgremlin .

Dear gornalgremlin

I’m pleased to hear that you have found our rooms to be comfortable. We have passed on your feedback to our housekeeping team who have looked into this matter and resolved it.

I’m sorry you were unable to find a restaurant within the area surrounding our hotel. There are only two other restaurants nearby. There is the Ritz Bar and Grill which is only around a 5 minute walk and the Frankie and Bennies at the Gyle centre which is around a 15 minute walk. Otherwise you are only a 10 minute trip to the city centre by train.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

this is a good location; easy tram trip into town; can easily catch the train to Glasgow and other points; meals seemed a little pricey; needs more electrical outlets; bathroom exhaust system essentially non-existent

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Tony H H, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear malz1964

I’m pleased that you found us to be in a good location. With the tram and the train right on our doorstep reaching Edinburgh city centre couldn’t be easier. The trains run every 15 minutes and the trams run every 8-10 minutes.

For great value for our meals why not try our Meal Deal. For only £22.99 you can have two courses for dinner, with a drink, and our all you can eat Premier breakfast the next morning.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We visited here during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival - so room prices were understandably quite high. However, really good place to stayif you want to travel into the centre of Edinburgh - Edinburgh Park station is about a minute walk away (off peak return was £3 per adult). Great staff at the hotel - really friendly and helpful. Our room (202), was clean and quiet. We had breakfast both days and like the staff in reception area - they were all really attentive and friendly. If I wanted to stay near Edinburgh, with free parking, I would def chose this Premier Inn again.

Room Tip: Room 202 - fine for us.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Bronte68

I’m pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at out hotel. Thank you for mentioning our great staff. I’m very happy to know that you found our team to be friendly and helpful. They do all they can to ensure our guests have a great stay and are well looked after.

I’m happy to hear that you have enjoyed our all you can eat Premier breakfast too. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very enjoyable weekend stay at Premier Inn Gyle Edinburgh.Very friendly staff,very clean beautiful breakfast ,lots of choice,I paid for mine and 2 grandchildren ate free which I thought was brilliant.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Tony H H, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh Park (The Gyle) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Kathleen B

It’s wonderful to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with your Grandchildren. Our team are all pleased that you found them to be friendly. I’m also happy to hear that you and your Grandchildren enjoyed our all you can eat Premier breakfast!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My title refers not to the size of the rooms which are fine but to the fact that the windows in the hotel do not open so no fresh air, just air conditioning. Personally I expect to be able to open a window wherever I stay. The rooms are standard Premier Inn Fayre and perfectly acceptable. The restaurant is good for breakfast and the customer facing staff were exceptionally helpful and attentive, offering to get me, a coeliac, gluten free toast toasted under the grill in the kitchen to keep my food contamination free. The buffet breakfast display was fine with individual labelled tong containers but there was no certainty that they would not be moved around and be used for gluten based foods. I used a spoon and fork myself instead to get my food but there would still be a potential risk doing that. Ideally I would have preferred the option to have a breakfast freshly cooked to order as was offered in the newest P Inn in Ayr but fortunately I had no problems. One minor issue was some staining on the underside of the toilet seat which I advised staff off. This is in part due to the seat design and also the intricacies of men's plumbing. With the seat style the problem also occurs in the home so extra care needs to be taken to maintain the front inside of the seat clean. It isn't rocket science, just application daily to prevent build up.
The hotel is exceptionally handy to the train and tram at Edinburgh Park, yards away. Access to the hotel is only via the south Gyle area, not from Hermiston Gait roundabout. There is a road on the map from there but it is private and has barriers. The retail park in Hermiston Gait is accessible by crossing over the footbridge in the train/ tram station. The hotel is in an industrial park area and has no community setting at all. It is what it is, a good chain hotel with excellent links into the city, ideal for tourists and business people.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FaircriticBelfast

Dear FaircriticBelfast

Our windows are sealed shut for safety reasons as well as to minimise any outside noise. We are aware that this is not everyone’s preference so we make sure that using any method of booking that our guests are made aware of this at the time of making their reservation. Our hotel is fully air-conditioned using 2 systems that work together. One brings in the fresh air from outside and the other controls the temperature.

I’m pleased that you enjoyed our Premier breakfast in the mornings. Our restaurant team are always happy to help when our guests have certain dietary requirements. On your next visit just speak to a member of our team and they will happily take your order to be freshly prepared to avoid any cross contamination worries you may have.

I am confident that when you mentioned your issue that our team will have quickly resolved this for you. Our housekeeping team work extremely hard to ensure our bedrooms are cleaned to a high standard. Our housekeeping team have been made aware of this. I hope that when you told our team that this was quickly resolved for you.