“AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!! YOU WILL BE SO DIAPOINTED”

The Original Raj Hotel
Ranked #145 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 6 September 2012

AVOID..... Or fight to get you're money back,,, i had too!!!! ;-(

Where do i start,,, let's just put this way i never stayed it was that bad....

There is no safe parking , only on dark side streets.

The hotel staff are arrognant and not helpfull what so ever.

Check out pictures of their single rooms on their website, you won't find them or like me would never want to stay here,, hence why they won't list them,, i wouldn't keep chickens here let alone human beings.

On my arrival the employee was a VERY quick to take my money off me, made no attempt to offer me any form of assistance in carrying my suit cases or bags even though he could see i was struggling.

I had to park on double yellows on main road to unload my vehicle as there is no parking at this hotel so you run the risk of getting a ticket whilst unloading and lack of help off staff.

After i saw my filthy very basic room, that was it for me i explained the room was acceptable nor was the fact that my van and expensive equipment safe left on side street,, the arrogant aasistant refussed to give me a refund saying there is no refund if i should cancel,, i explained i had only booked my room half hour before online and the room or hotel was not as described or met my needs!!

He point blank refussed to give me a refund saying i should take my argument up with Late.rooms.com,,, when i did they were discussed by the servive i had received and rang the hotel as i stayed on the phone i could hear both their converstation and that of the hotel assistant. The person on behalf of Late rooms explaining this wasn't acceptable and i was well in my right to a full refund.

After this call he still refussed to refund my money and only after i stood my ground and threats of getting the police involved to retrieve my money,, did he finally give my money back.

Please heed this advise don't bother staying here....as you will have to fight to get a refund....very quick to take you're money,, not so quick to give it back.........

Room Tip: Avoid,, or fight for refund,,, even after booking agent tells them to refund you..................
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Paul C

Reviewed 22 August 2012

My son and I stayed here after our night at the tattoo. We checked in at 11.15p.m. and the man on duty was very pleasant. We had the Maharaja room which is actually an extension at the side, very spacious, clean, and bright. Breakfast was the normal continental and was adequate with a choice of serials, fruit, bread, jam, juice and coffee. If in Edinburgh again for an overnight would definately consider another stay here. Considering the fringe and tattoo were in full swing I felt £80 for the room was excellent value. Almost opposite Haymarket station and around £9 for a taxi into Edinburgh centre, bus stop seconds down the road on the left.

Room Tip: Maharaja is the extension on the left, would request this if coming again.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2012

The staff when we first arrived were not very welcoming, there were no pleasantries only a request for payment. The interior needs an uplift, paint work is very dingy, carpets are old and worn. We were sold the double as having annindian canopy bed which was intact a divan bed with felt blankets in place of a duvet. Checkout was as bad as check in, arrived at office to be told 'just out key there'. Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Jdtkwm
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed here over night recently for the purpose of going the airport the next day. The outside appearance of the hotel was very pleasing. The gardens and exterior were well maintained and the hotel looked welcoming. Our welcome in to the hotel was pleasant, the receptionist was very well mannered. Our room was lovely. It was relatively clean, the bathroom was clean and the bed linen was clean. I think if you want to be picky and find fault then you could pick on small things but we were more than happy for £60 between the two of us.

The breakfast was simple. Didnt see any tea but im sure if I had asked there would have been some. The toaster thats been mentioned a few times in other reviews was there and as slow as it was mentioned but because I had read this it was quite amusing to meet it in person.

I would return to the Raj. It was right across the road from the airport bus which would make it accessible to the zoo as well. And a 10 min walk from Haymarket on a straight road which made it easy to find.

Room Tip: There is no lift so make sure if you have mobility problems that you dont get a top floor room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Staff was really friendly but the breakfast was terrible. Not much of a choice, you were stuck with 1 kind of bread, 2 of jam, milk and musli, fruit, and coffee and juice. The rooms were renovated, clean and have the latest generation of TV's but there still is the old furniture and the overall feeling of old. Not much room to move and although the bathroom had a tub, it would take 2 to 3 hours to fill it because of the slow water. Location was ok, kinda far from city center though, if you intend to visit the city.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed for a few nights recently, I used my airmiles to pay for the room, so not sure how much the room rate was. We had a standard double room - looked nothing like the images on their website, but comfortable enough, although the bed sheets resembled NHS blankets. The breakfast was terrible, service poor, and although the rooms were cleaned daily - no loo paper was put out! Good location though, right between the zoo and city centre.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bodge82
Reviewed 6 June 2012

The hotel was suitable for my purposes which was basically an overnight stay in the city but after staying here once I wouldn't do so again.

The room was large and clean and on first inspection, there is nothing wrong with the place.The bed was comfortable and well made but I would have preferred a duvet than a blanket. I arrived late at night and wasn't give a very warm welcome. I found the staff very cold.

The breakfast was nothing short of vile and this is what let the place down more than anything. There was thin, cheap sliced bread left out to toast yourself and a selection of cereals which were ok. There were some packaged slices of cheese and cheap, dry croissants.The worst thing was the coffee which was really weak and watered down and bizarrely no tea available! As I was eating my breakfast, a member of staff kept walking in and standing there without saying anything. It was just weird. I also found the low tables really unsuitable for eating from.

Aside from the breakfast I would have given an average or good review. They shouldn't advertise as a B&B if they can't be bothered to present an edible breakfast. Terrible.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo