“A good value hotel”

The Original Raj Hotel
Ranked #145 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 1 March 2013

The location of the hotel is good. The rooms was basic but clean. The staff were friendly but they do not have that much local knowledge. The breakfast was basic. Overall the hotel was good value fro money.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Hemo K

Reviewed 18 February 2013

This was a nightmare from walking in to leaving. where to start is the question the staff were very rude and were not able to communicate properly. when we first walked in he couldnt get the money off us any quicker to get back to his computer. there was no parking and we had to park on a side street 10 mins walk away from the hotel. the receptionist didnt have a clue or idea of where we could park that was safe. we were given the key to the room and were left to find our own way to our room. the room was disgusting and filthy. it smelt of damp and it was very dusty. the room was ment to have a canopy bed there was no canopy there was no duvet just a thin rough blanket which did'nt feel or smell clean. also the bed creaked everytime you turned. the bathroom was filthy with hair on the sink and toilet. the toilet brush had soiled tissue paper wrapped around it which was awfull. the shower was a good one but flooded the bathroom floor everytime used because the filthy shower curtain wasnt long enough. the bathroom towels did not smell clean at all. the windows didnt open. and to top it off we stayed there 5 nights and every morning the breakfast was stale bread to make your own toast and a bit of cereal. the only good thing about this hotel was its location only 5 min walk to the train station. this hotel gave me the impression that it did'nt care about its customers and were only bothered about the money.
OVERALL I DO NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYONE.

Room Tip: The only tip i have is don't make the mistake i did and say it can't be that bad because it...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sonia k
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We stayed here one night in Dec. The hotel is well situated for Edinburgh city center and is on good bus routes for most places. The hotel a bit basic, the rooms are ok but the wooden bed squeeked very time you moved. The breakfast in toast, which you make yourself, 3 choices of cereal, 2 choices of juice. and coffee. The hotel had a lock up and leave place, it felt unlived in, just a business. This may sound daft but it is a small hotel and they are usually lived in by their owners and this one clearly was not. The staff didn't seem to have much local knowledge which again is one of the benefits of staying in a smaller hotel. l'm not saying l would'nt go back but it would not be my first choice.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

I had read some of the reviews of previous guests of which they were of mixed opinions. We arrived and were greeted by a friendly and polite chap who booked us in and showed us to our room. On entering it looked fine although it wasn't the room we had booked.

On closer inspection the carpet was stained and dirty the bed was clean which was my main worry. The tv was absolutely disgusting with so much dust I had to wash my hands after touching it. The walls were dirty and marked and the skirting boards could do with a clean also. the lights were so dim, maybe to disguise the filthy room itself?

The shower curtain was all marked, the towels when used stunk and the toilet roll so thin that you needed to use loads.

We decided against going for breakfast of which was included in the price but to be honest we really couldn't stomach eating there.

The price paid for the room was £45 which I suppose is cheap but cheap and filthy is not what I expect anywhere.

The building from the outside looked stunning its a pity the same couldn't be said for the interior.

I wouldn't recommend staying here not even if they paid me. I would go as far to say its the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Not a happy customer by a long chalk......get your act together as it could be a lovely hotel if your standard of cleanliness was improved dramatically

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank kstv19
Reviewed 5 December 2012

The room was good and the bed very comfortable. There was a good sized bath and a good shower. There was no hairdryer in the room, but there was one in reception. It was a bit annoying to have to go and fetch it. The only disappointing thing really was the breakfast. This was very basic and we went out and ate after the first morning. Still for the price it was pretty good overall.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main hotel have more atmosphere than those in the extension at the back.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel for the Scotland v New Zealand game November 2012 for two nights. The room rate was £70 per night, which is good value for a rugby weekend.

I thought the decor was unusual and very charming. The breakfast was really basic, but I was provided with a pot of fresh tea upon request. We decided to have breakfast at the Roseburn Cafe a few minutes walk away instead.

The hotel is located on a main bus route and there are buses every few minutes to take you into the main city or other attractions. The city centre is only half an hour's walk.

I found the staff to be slightly aloof, but they were helpful enough when requested.

My only criticisms are that our room was not very clean & the chamber service poor. The telephone on the bedside cabinet was so caked in dust that I wrote my name in it! I also noticed cup/glass marks on the bedside cabinet where they had not been wiped from the guests before.

The radiator in the bathroom had sprung a serious leak and the bathroom floor had flooded, so I had to put a couple of the towels down to mop up the water, whilst I went to report it to the staff. The towels didn't get replaced, so we only had one small dry towel to share between us on the morning of our departure! We didn't have time to ask for any more towels, but I am sure they would have provided them upon request.

The tea & coffee supplies were not replenished either.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We booked our overnight stay in August 2012 on line and were extremely pleased with the result. In all regards it was excellent including the quality of the hotel, staff attitude, services, location and value for money. I suggest no one could wish for better

We walked several times from here to the Castle and old Edinburgh no problems and very close to the train station.

Geoff and Rosie Murray (from Tasmania)

Room Tip: Our room was excellent and I assume the others were as well
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple