“friendly staff but hotel needs TLC and clean sheets”

The Original Raj Hotel
Ranked #138 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Silverstone, United Kingdom
“friendly staff but hotel needs TLC and clean sheets”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Reception was really good as I was looking to check in at 2pm and the room was ready for me, with friendly staff.
It advertises as being the 1st Indian themed hotel in the UK and it's not got to the point where they need to start renovating and improving areas.
There were at least 2 mains sockets in the Noor room that I stayed in that were loose and you had to be careful when removing a charger that the socket unit didn't come away at the same time.
The bathroom def needs some TLC, but the shower was great, powerful and loads of water. A soap and shower gel pack were in the bathroom trying to hide the area above the toilet that needed some paint and further TLC.
The room has a flat screen TV, really too low for watching in bed - could do with being wall mounted and a desk type of unit - just don't open the draws, those you could open some wouldn't close as with the built in wardrobe. It had character but I definately couldn't bring my wife here. One night was ok.
The thing that really let the room down was the bed sheets - the top sheet had holes in it and the bottom sheet had stains on it. By the time I got into bed it was 11pm and was too late to see if reception was still available for fresh sheets. With this in mind, I thought I would skip breakfast.
When I mentioned about the bed sheets in the morning, they said I should have reported it to reception and they would have swapped it out.

Room Tip: Book early and use a def hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I left it late to book a hotel for Edinburgh not realising that it was during the festival.
Having struggled to find anywhere that wasn't a mortage payment for 1 nights day I happened upon this hotel and booked it. Then read the reviews and feared the worst.

So I owned up to the other half that it might not be the best, and we set off anyway. It was relatively easy to find. Parking was readily available, though on street, it was free of charge being outside the metered times.

It's a lovely old building, full of indian furniture and hangings. Reception is a little dark, but no big deal. The chap at the desk was very attentive and helpful, check in was a doddle.

We were on the 2nd floor in Sabu, the room was at the back of the property, so very quiet. The decor was a little dated. The bedsheets were clean (i checked thoroughly given other reviews), the bathroom was again tired but clean.

Breakfast was ok, continental. We were quite late down, milk/juice were all being refreshed, so nothing was stale.

We walked into the city centre, 15mins approx, so I was happy with the location.

I think if you are expecting 5* you are in the wrong place anyway, for our needs the Original Raj was ok.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Stayed for two nights. It´s not given you valeu for your money.
Not good for allergy or asthma people.
Bedbugs.
Damiging hot water in the shower.
Dripping water from roof in breakfast room.
Dampness and mold in the bathroom.
The feeling was that it was dirty.
Very poor breakfast.

Room Tip: Put the money on another accommodation.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Grodan007

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Bunie Tasmania
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Stayed one night (too long) between highland tour and flight to Dublin. First impression was of the Munsters house .and inside was dark and gloomy..Unfriendly reception, no help to get heavy suitcases to first floor. Shower over very high bath which my wife was unable to use, a very uncomfortable bed and small room.Only one bath towel and when we asked for another was very grudgingly given one. Breakfast was appalling, croissants were stale, coffee?was horrible. All in all, an experience I do not want to repeat. In short, overpriced and to be avoided.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael D
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We only stayed one night at this hotel, since we had an early morning flight and most hotels in Edinburgh were already fully booked due to the festival. The atmosphere is completely gloomy and run-down inside, quite scary, like an old haunted house. Welcome at the reception was not friendly at all, we had the feeling of disturbing when we arrived. There is no WIFI in the room (which was at the end of a maze of a corridor), only in the front area of the hotel. The room is not clean, lamps do not work, carpet is old. Overall a very overpriced choice for what you get... We left early so we did not try the breakfast, but our instinct would have been to escape from there as fast as possible anyway.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alex81600
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We were very apprehensive about this place, judging by the many comments, but decided to give it a go and move on somewhere else if it was awful. However, on first impressions the room was spacious and seemed clean, likewise the bathroom. There were plenty of clean towels and the sheets looked freshly laundered. But the room was very dark, none of the windows opened and it all felt very stuffy and as though it could do with a good 'air'.

Breakfast - this consisted of orange juice, croissants, packets of jam, some slimy processed cheese slices and white or brown bread which you could toast yourself in the domestic size 2 slot toaster. The management had clearly bought the very cheapest economy ranges they could find. Nothing tasted of anything. And was that really coffee they were offering? I'm not convinced. The room where breakfast was served was pleasant and spacious, but again it could have done with some open windows to freshen it up and all the surfaces had a sticky feel to them.

The sheets weren't changed, nor was the bed made up or clean towels provided the next day.

However, on the plus side, it is a reasonably priced hotel in quite a nice location, and the staff seemed friendly enough.

But would I revisit? No.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

Well I don't really have many us points for this place! I guess it was clean enough...

First off I think for what it is and what you can get in Edinburgh it's over priced!

The rooms was decorated fine but I swear one of the staff had used the toilet just before we checked in because it stunk of faeces for the first half hour we arrived! Not a good start!

The staff were ok but not the most attentive, we were just handed our key and told "2nd floor" cheers!

The bed felt old and flat and wasn't the most comfortable at all!

The breakfast... Wow, for what I paid for the room I expected a lot better! Shameful! It was basically terrible! The bread looked like the cheapest stuff I've ever seen, the cereal was all over the table and the orange juice was warm!!! Croissants were available but to be honest it looked such a mess I just walked out... Put my keys on the reception desk, picked up my stuff and left!

It is a little hike from the centre but to be honest not so bad and I knew how far when I booked it so I'm not complaining on that score!

I wouldn't return to this place at all!

I don't usually give stinging ratings unless its justified but I felt so let down with this place!

Basically guys if you're looking to stay in Edinburgh then look elsewhere, you will find a better standard of hotel or guesthouse that is also cheaper!

• Stayed June 2013