“Excellent bar food - probably the best burger I've had”

Shackleton's Bar & Brasserie
Ranked #722 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$39 - US$136
Cuisines: British, European, Scottish
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Channings Restaurant in Edinburgh is fine dining without the fuss: a delightful, neighbourhood bistro with a friendly, relaxed atmosphere and a well-edited, concise menu of modern Scottish dishes. Our chef Adam Lonski uses fresh, seasonal and organic ingredients wherever possible, and has come up with some great taste combinations. Alongside our hotel guests, we entertain local Edinburgh residents at the restaurant all the time, particularly if there is a special occasion to celebrate. Diners can choose between set two- and three-course menus, the a la carte menu, and the gourmet, seven-course tasting menu, for a real treat.
Perth
“Excellent bar food - probably the best burger I've had”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

What a surprise! I ordered the burger from the bar menu with onions, cheese and bacon and it was INCREDIBLE! Delicious, and a good price too. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited April 2013

Troon
“A memorable and delicious lunch in warm and attractive surroundings.”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Our Literary Society, The Dorothy Dunnett Society, pre-booked our lunch. We were met warmly by the manager. We sat down to a beautifully set table, in a charming room. The food was delicious. We were served by friendly and discreet staff, who tended to our every need. The atmosphere in Channings is efficient but informal and the decor is traditional with very modern amenities. We liked best,as well as the food, the attention to detail, and the feeling that the staff's main concern was our comfort.

• Visited November 2012
edinburgh
“Ladies who don't lunch.”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Restaurant hidden away from main road so very quiet. reasonably busy for Sunday lunch. We had been given the lunch as a present via a voucher deal. Fizz was brought to the table without asking and I was not drinking so had to be exchanged.Starters were so so. the fishcake had way too much potato in it. Main courses were on the small side and not very inspiring. Hubbie didn't really like any of the choices but went for the chicken leg which looked more like a child's portion. Puddings were unexciting and small. If I had paid £19 for this (with a glass of sweet fizz) I would have felt short changed. There are Michelin restaurants in Edinburgh offering lunch at not much more than this price.Good job we are on a diet! The lunch is called "ladies who lunch" so perhaps they all assume we have ladylike appetites!
Difficult if you are disabled as restaurant is in basement.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank scotconnect
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Small boring portions, poor service”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Went for Sunday lunch on an 'Itison' deal, along with everyone else in this hotel restaurant, it seems. Service was poor; after being directed downstairs to the restaurant by the pleasant reception staff, we were left waiting for over 10 minutes before a member of staff appeared. There were absolutely no staff to be found, and we practically walked into the kitchen in our quest to find someone to assist us. The diners already seated in the restaurant all seemed to be waiting to be served too. The meal was average at best, a choice of soup, one solitary fish cake or ham hough to start, followed by chicken, salmon or polenta cake for the vegetarians. The choice was uninspiring and boring, the portions were small, although tasty. Dessert was okay, a banana 'mess' although completely lacking in meringue, bought-in chocolate cake or some cheese. We visited with a child but the children's menu was uninteresting and expensive, so my child ended up eating from the adult menu, which was in fact a better deal. What surprised me the most was that we were never asked if we wanted any drinks with our meal, apart from the drink included in the deal, nor whether we would like coffee or anything else at the end. I found this surprising as surely it is through the add-ons that a restaurant or hotel hopes to make some of the money back on what was basically a two-for-one lunch deal. I agree with other diners that the restaurant is dull and dingy, while the rear sunny room was not being used at all. As an aside I found the staff answering the phone when I called to book the table unfriendly and some effort has to be put into answering the telephone before the 20th ring, I almost gave up. Will not be returning.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Minnie_S_12
Edinburgh, Scotland
“A nice surprise”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Well, this is an interesting one. My family booked a table for lunch at Channings via a 'itison' offer. The deal was for a three course lunch. We had dined at Channings before and found it to be a decent restaurant.

All of us at the table found the meal to be most acceptable. Salmon and chicken for main courses were delicious. I'd rate the food as 8/10. The reason behind not giving a slightly higher score was that our desserts were not quite as good as the main and the starters. My chocolate cake was too dry and needed some ice cream for example. However, all in all a most pleasant Saturday afternoon. Wine reasonably priced (from £15 upwards).

Staff were generally friendly, although we were met by a waiter at the beginning whose demeanour could be construed as slightly ?grumpy - anyway, this didn't detract from the visit.

Would recommend.