“excellent service and great food”

Shackleton's Bar & Brasserie
Ranked #971 of 2,609 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$39 - US$136
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Channings Restaurant in Edinburgh is fine dining without the fuss: a delightful, neighbourhood bistro with a friendly, relaxed atmosphere and a well-edited, concise menu of modern Scottish dishes. Our chef Adam Lonski uses fresh, seasonal and organic ingredients wherever possible, and has come up with some great taste combinations. Alongside our hotel guests, we entertain local Edinburgh residents at the restaurant all the time, particularly if there is a special occasion to celebrate. Diners can choose between set two- and three-course menus, the a la carte menu, and the gourmet, seven-course tasting menu, for a real treat.
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Booked in advance without issue using their website. was able to specify gluten free requirements in advance.

on the day service was excellent, all our needs were catered for. All bar 1 item on the menu were gluten free.

food was excellent for the price. highly recommended.!

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We decided to have dinner in the bar of this beautiful hotel and we weren't disappointed. The atmosphere was cosy and relaxed and the staff, friendly. We felt welcome to linger before, during and after our meal. Probably the best 'bar' menu I've seen offered a great selection of dishes and our choices proved delicious and were served in large portions (I'd recommend the warm sharing platter, which is substantial enough to be a meal in itself!). We will be returning to try out the restaurant!

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Went to Channing's for my works Christmas meal last week and was left feeling very disappointed. On arrival I bought a pint of beer which tasted as if it had been in the lines for a big to long. I never expect to much from a Christmas meal but at the very least it could be served warm, my soup was look-warm, my turkey was very dry and cold and my cheese board consisted of one piece of cheese. To make matters worse the room we were sitting in was freezing, although I did notice a couple of electric heaters strategically placed around the room.
The one positive was the price, at least it wasn't to expensive.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Our party was hosted in the Shackleton suite, which is a lovely room and was beautifully atmospheric. We chose from a limited menu in advance. I had the goats cheese, followed by colley, and plum pudding. The starter was unexciting (no beetroot, as described on the menu), but perfectly edible. The colley main course was probably the worst meal every put in front of me - the fish must have been cooked or kept warm for hours - dry, brown, totally inedible (also, it had gone cold). When people are having a nice time their friends no one wants to complain. However, when one of the staff came by and asked if everything was ok with the meal, I called her over, told her my main course was inedible and sent it back. Most of us thought that, but didn't like to make a fuss. To be fair, the head waiter came and offered me another main course, but as that would take 15 minutes or so I declined (as the others would be finished). I pointed out to him that many of the others were leaving a great deal on their plates, and he did offer to bring replacements to anyone who wanted it. I declined this as it was just going the make the whole evening so upsetting. As I was leaving the man at the reception desk asked if we'd enjoyed our evening, so I'm afraid that I did give him my opinion of his chef! (ie, that he should have been ashamed to send such dreadful food up). I don't know if they do better for a couple or small group but do not book Channings for a Christmas party!

1  Thank Katherine M
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This looks such a delightful hotel, all wood panelled rooms, squashy sofas and cosy corners, many reflecting the history of the Antarctic explorer, Earnest Shackleton, who lived there for a while during the early 20th century. However, we were there just for lunch and entered through the downstairs bar where we encountered a first disappointment - there was no sherry (none at all) and then no Lea and Perrins for a tomato juice. Although there were no other diners (why,on a December weekend?), the dining room was warm and welcoming, the 'Christmas' menu interesting and refreshingly short. Sadly, the starters were unremarkable and all the mains a little disappointing: the turkey and trimmings were served without any green vegetables; the salmon, hot and well cooked, was served with tepid kale and mash, the latter rather dried out and lumpy. And the beetroot and horseradish rice cake which sounded so fascinating and which we all wanted to taste, had neither the zing of horseradish nor the earthiness of beetroot. The Sauvignon Blanc was good, cool and elderflowery. We passed on the puds but with coffee came a slim, shortbready biscuit.

Oh, and the little corridor outside the toilets was a bit niffy ...