Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel
Ranked #22 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The location of this place was perfect, right on Princes st facing the Castle. The entrance is almost invisible between the shops but a lift up to the 2nd floor reception and you were in safe hands. This was the first reception desk I'd come across that didn't have a desk! The girl on reception was stood at a computer point to issue key cards from bookings and very swiftly. The security is top notch in that you need the room key card to access the lift to take you up to your room, very reassuring. The rooms are spotless and gleaming with everything you need, plenty of tea and coffee, extra pillows, decent lighting, 2 comfy chairs, tv with a remote that worked. No view as the window looked into a courtyard. The bathroom looked as if it had just been installed and shone with white tiles and a great shower and imperial leather shower gel dispenser. The breakfast was well worth booking and one of the most satisfying we've had with very friendly, pleasant, efficient staff. There was a nice selection for the cooked bfast and plenty of choice in the coffees and teas. All areas very clean and the windows looked out onto Edinburgh castle. For a top class, low cost Edinburgh tourist or theatre accomodation you could not find better and I've tried quite a few.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but the upper floors mean you have the added security of the keycard lift.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ARiva1, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear Yorkiebard,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I really appreciate the time taken to share your experiences.

My Housekeeping Team in particular are delighted to have received such positive feedback, they work tremendously hard to deliver such high standards of cleanliness and it really means a lot when this is recognised.

We always aim to ensure that we provide our guests with great service and great value and I am thrilled that we have impressed you with our standards.

I really hope we can welcome you back.

opsmgr.edinburghprincesstreet@whitbread.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,799)

Reviewed 5 October 2013

A three night stay at this busy Inn as a short break before my husband has surgery. Neither of us have much stamina and so we chose a central location so we could get back easily and rest when needed.

We regularly use the chain and know it to be good value and with a strong focus on service and this is what we saw on our stay. The staff were friendly and welcoming, particularly in the restaurant where we enjoyed dinner one night and breakfasts with the view of the Castle.

The location is excellent, being a level walk to interesting shops and with bus stops very close; a day ticket is £3.50. A taxi to the top of the Royal Mile cost less than £5 - we can walk down but not up!

Our room was the largest we've ever had at a PI and cleaned to a high standard. The free map we were given on check in was very useful, and we were delighted that we could leave our bags at reception when we arrived too early to check in.

A few irritations that got in the way:

- if you need fresh air you will be disappointed, we could not open the window as it was a sealed unit. I was assured by the receptionist that every bedroom window in the building was the same. I prefer fresh air to air-con, but there was not avoiding it here. According to this receptionist every Premier Inn in Edinburgh has its windows sealed closed- which is not true e.g. Haymarket's open. Being told that we should have phoned up to ask in advance struck me as a nonsense.

- we returned to our room at 2.15/2.30 in the afternoon to find that it had not been made up. The girl on reception that day knew nothing of the stay-over rooms policy (see Stanley F's report of 25th Sept and management response 27th September 2013) and said that they were short staffed.

- our room was at the back of the hotel and so we did not get any street noise at all, but the dustcart came round at 4.25am on Wednesday morning and there was no sleeping through that noise for me. I did mention it to reception in the morning, and they were sympathetic but did not mention the 'good night' policy. Perhaps I should have phoned down at the time.

We would stay there again though - it's a comfortable base in the city.

Room Tip: Only 19 rooms of 90+ have castle views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Divadarling

Dear Divadarling,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I'm really pleased to see that it's the service that Premier Inn provide that makes you a regular with us. Our teams work very hard to deliver such high standards of service and it really means a lot when our guests recognise that.

Unfortunately, yes all of our windows are sealed units and I do appreciate that this is not to everyone's tastes, however with such a busy city centre location this does help to reduce the external noise and allows the air conditioning system to operate to its full potential. I am really sorry to hear that you were woken by bin collection so early in the morning, we have taken every step possible to reduce noise over night, our own collection does not happen until around 8-9am and we are working to a point where our neighbours bins will all be collected by the same company to further reduce the disturbance to our guests and of course the local residents.

I am delighted that you would return to us and please do contact me directly should that be the case and I will ensure you are allocated a room higher up. I really hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is the second time I have stayed in a Premier Inn. Once again I have to say the hotel is really good. Very clean and quiet room even though in the city centre, super friendly and efficient staff on Reception. We arrived early but were made very welcome while our room was prepared.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Kerry G,

Thank you for your lovely review, I'm delighted you had a great stay with us.

At Premier Inn we continuously strive to deliver high standards, brilliant value and great service, it's fantastic to hear that you have found this consistently during your stays.

I really appreciate the time taken to share your feedback.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Decent hotel
This hotel has a nice location and easy access to all the links. Rooms were clean and well maintained. Staff was helpful and with local geographical knowledge, which helped in finding places quickly. And you can see castle from the hotel, which is a bonus. So overall a decent place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Adsachdev,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences following your recent stay with us. I'm delighted you had a lovely time and you found our facilities to be clean and well maintained.

We always aim to deliver great value and high standards and feedback such as yours is a great tool to help us review our services.

Thank you again and I really hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stopped for 3 nights from Fri 27th Sept with my mum. The hotel was in a brilliant location with great views of the castle from the bar/restaurant area. We had room 321 and were lucky to have a castle view from our room as well. The room was spotlessly clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. John in particular was always cheerful and asking everyone about their day etc. We stopped at the Haymarket Premier inn a few years ago which was fine but I prefer this one, maybe because it is smaller so you feel like you are getting a more personal service.
Obviously, if you get a room at the front of the hotel then you are going to get the noise of Princes Street but this never bothered me.
We had the meal deal, this included breakfast (all you can eat :o)) and a 3 course meal and drink. The breakfast was brilliant, I stuffed my face in a morning and then I didn't need to eat until tea time. The evening meal was ok for me as a meat eater, it is a limited menu on the meal deal but enough to keep you going for a few days. I wouldn't advise you having the meal deal if you are a vegetarian (my mum is)...there is 1 vegetarian main meal choice on the meal deal (Mediterranean skewers) and these were not available on the Saturday or Sunday night when my Mum asked for them. This is one part of the menu that does need to be worked on.
Anyway, all in all we had a brilliant time, shame its back to rainy Yorkshire haha. We would definitely come back to this hotel (just maybe give the meal deal a miss next time)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Claire L,

I'm so pleased that you had such a fantastic stay with us, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.

It's lovely to hear that you were able to benefit from a room with a view of Edinburgh Castle, it really is a stunning outlook. I have passed your comments on to the team and of course John, who was so helpful and friendly to you both.

At Premier Inn it really is important to us that our guests have a brilliant stay and that our team work hard to deliver great service and comfortable, clean rooms. I really hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

This is the 2nd time we've used this hotel and it was even better this time round. Staff could not be more friendly and helpful. Location is the best with only a few minutes walk to all the main attractions in Edinburgh. Plenty of entertainment nearby. Can't recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear George B,

Thank you for your lovely review. It's always great to welcome guests back and even better to hear we exceeded your previous expectations!

My team are delighted with your positive feedback, I'm sure you'll agree they do a fantastic job and it's very rewarding for them when our guests recognise that.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel last weekend. I was surprised to get a disabled room but this was obviously my mistake when booking. I spoke to Sasha at reception who said she would arrange a change to an upper floor the following day. This was done and I got a nice room on the fourth floor. I must say that all the staff at this hotel were excellent and acted as if they personally owned it.

The Room was adequate, not plush but very comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities. It is all that one would need for a city break. Breakfast was not included in the price but Continental
and Hot Breakfast were available at a reasonable price each morning.

Hotel was at the Western part of Princes Street, near Castle Street and there were quite a few good restaurants around. Coming from Ireland, I found Edinburgh to be an expensive city, especially for food and drink. However, there are lots of restaurants to choose from within walking distance of the hotel.

The only complaint that I had was about WiFi. I purchased the 24 hour deal for £3.00 as I wanted to stream a concert from the Internet. It just did not work, kept uploading and loosing the connection. I just had to abandon it. I was able to hear radio on it the following day but that too broke down. Had to go back to settings to reconnect but it was still better than the video streaming which was unsatisfactory. I would have had no problem paying more for it but it is important that it works. Also, there was no shower cap, shampoo or toilet brush in the room.

I would stay in this hotel again as I was made feel welcome, it was central and comfortable and quiet.

Room Tip: Bring your own shower cap or shampoo if you need it. Shower gel was provided over the bath.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank GObnait28
ARiva1, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear GObnait28,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Your feedback regarding my team is absolutely fabulous and I think really sums up what they aim to deliver on a daily basis. I am delighted that Sasha arranged a more suitable room for you and I will ensure that your appreciation is passed on to her.

I am sorry that you had difficulty with the WIFI, it isn't the fastest bandwith and I fear this may be why you had issues with live streaming. Please be assured that I have forwarded your feedback on to the internet service provider for their futher investigation.

For your future comfort, unfortunately Premier Inn do not provide a shower cap or toilet brush in our rooms as a brand however we do have little "emergency" kits available from Reception which include a small shampoo and conditioner.

I'm really pleased that you found our hotel quiet and comfortable and that the team made you feel so welcome, I really do hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.