“Great Location - Shame they don't include Unlimited WiFi”

Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel
Ranked #19 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I've stayed here 3 times. The first 2 times were excellent but my most recent stay wasn't so good. I had to wait a long time to be seated in the restaurant despite it not being busy at all - there was one person who had to do everything - bar, serving, reception etc. Had a lovely room overlooking the Castle but unfortunately it was rather cold and the shower didn't have much pressure. Staff very friendly though. One thing that really bugs me about Premier Inn is that they only give you 30 mins free WiFi. I think their restaurant business is suffering from this as many choose to go out to eat elsewhere so they can use the free WiFi that many other establishments offer which is what I did on day 2. I will probably stay at this one again mainly due to its location but in other locations I have opted to stay in B&B's instead to take advantage of breakfast and WiFi included in price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the castle. Room 521 is a good room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank baroda32

Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

First thing to say is finding the place. Premier inn u need a bigger sign for ppl to find you.. Loved my stay very comfy the bed. Nice breakfast to. I will say again here again.. Had a great time in Edinburgh what a nice place to go. I travel all over uk for my job can't wait to see you guys again

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
ARiva1, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear Trev26,

Thank you for your review, I'm delighted to hear that you loved your stay with us and that you can't wait to return.

I fully understand your points regarding the external signage, please be assured that this is something that we are very conscious of - we have petitioned the city council for additional signage, however we are still awaiting a decision from them. In the meantime our Reception Team work really hard to try to contact as many guests as possible to advise them of our location between Starbucks and New Look.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and hopefully at some point we will have the extra signage approved.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Tidy and clean but nothing out of the ordinary for the excess price paid although it was new year. Cannot book anything now if we wanted to for the same time ie new years eve. Obviously held back for this high price!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear JaneL

Thanks for your review, I am delighted that you found the hotel to be clean and that you rated the service so highly.

I do understand your frustrations regarding the cost at Hogmanay and whilst our pricing is higher than you might expect, please be assured that we still remain a great value option in comparison to our local competitors during this time, who's rates in most case are higher than ours. I will of course ensure that your feedback is shared with our Pricing Team.

Thanks again and I really hope that we can welcome you back to Premier Inn again soon.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Let me start by saying I am a fan of Premier Inn. This is the third of their hotels I have stayed in in the last six months (Inverness and Glasgow also) and being on Prince's Street, I was rather expecting it to be the best of the bunch. While overall the quality was consistent of Premier Inn, there were just too many small niggles for us to be completely satisfied.

We arrived at 2 o'clock - their advertised check-in time - , more-or-less, but our room was not ready. This is not a disaster. They have a nice bar overlooking the castle and we were happy to have a drink and watch the world go by. We did have to wait some forty-five minutes though. Again, not a disaster. Personally I would have thought offering us a drink might have been the decent thing to do but, as the perfectly pleasant young man attending to us explained, the head housekeeper needed to inspect the room to approve its readiness before we got in.

Remember that bit. It's important.

We got in about quarter to three and the first thing we noticed was that someone had clearly been smoking in the room recently. It was obvious the minute we opened the door. My question would be why hadn't the tardily-approving head housekeeper noticed this? Or had she but deemed the room acceptable anyway? There is a £100 charge for smoking to 'return the room to its original condition' or somesuch. Either that isn't enough, or it hadn't all been spent. As we were now so close to my wife's treatment time at the Lush Spa, we decided we didn't have time to ask for a change in room and just got on with it. I would point out at this juncture that the counterpane and carpet had worrying stains on them. I am happy to put up the pictures if there is any doubt about that.

We had booked dinner, bed and breakfast which was tremendous value. The dinner menu is really quite limited however. Even had we not been restricted by our package, I think I'm right in saying my vegetarian wife would only have had two choices for starter and main. The food was pretty indifferent, to be honet. We ate in Inverness and the quality was much better. In saying that, what do you want for £12-odds, or whatever we paid for a three course dinner with a drink?

As usual in a Premier Inn, we had a cracking sleep. I don't know how they manage to keep the corridors so quiet but it works. I have no complaints at all about this although the bed was weirdly springy and felt more like a water bed.

Breakfast was excellent, again as is usual in Premier Inn. Good service and a massive choice of pretty decent fare. I would have liked the copy of the Sunday Herald which I'd paid for the night before and which had never materialised but then it's ride to read at the table anyway.

All in all, a bit of a mixed bag of a stay. We enjoyed some things and were a little disappointed by others. I'd end on a positive note by saying the staff here - as we are so used to - are excellent, and in general this has by no means put us off using Premier Inn again. We're booked into the Gyle branch for the Edinburgh marathon this year!

Room Tip: Ask for a front-facing room for a view of the castle.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HoJu

Dear HoJu,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences, I really do appreciate all feedback as it's such a great tool for us to review the services we provide.

I am terribly sorry that your room had a smell of smoke from the previous guest, our Housekeeping Team usually work to a very high standard and please be assured that this has been addressed with them.

I have to agree with you that our Meal Deal does offer fantastic value for money for our guests, and whilst I agree that our menu is not as expansive as you may be used to with Premier Inn, we do focus on fresh, healthy choice options I apologise that you did not find this to be the case.

Great to hear you slept well, it is really important to us at Premier Inn that our guests can rely on a great nights sleep when staying with us. It's equally important to us that our guests are looked after by a team who really care and it's great that you have noted this.

I am genuinely sorry - and frustrated - that you were let down by such silly mistakes through your stay, please be assured that I really do value your feedback and your comments will be used as a training tool for the whole team.

Thank you again and I wish you well for the Edinburgh Marathon later this year and I know you will have a great time at the Gyle Premier Inn.

Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Arrived early, jeff took time to explain that they would secure our luggage until check in and then helpfully provided a map which he drew points of interest on. Hotel room was a decent size, didn't get a castle view although i had requested on a few weeks earlier. Good nights sleep guarantee was runied by being woken up at 2am to our american nextdoor neighbour getting nailed and what can only be described as having the most fake orgasm ive ever heard! Id imagine the adjoining door was to blame here - at 2am is there any point in complaining to reception? Dont make promises you cant keep premier in, cheap (not environmentally friendly and modern) building materials are to blame here.

Steffi provided an iron and ironing board when i requested it and even delivered it to my door. Breakfast was ok if a little busy, majority of food was of good quality although sausages were not to my taste. I would stay here again although i wouldn't base my entire stay around getting a castle view. Staff were v.good, my compliments to them.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed here with my daughter for two nights on 8th and 9th January. Reason for staying was partly because it was a little break before she went back to uni in Edinburgh and partly so we could make a one day visit to London. Arrived at hotel just before 2 and our room on the 6th floor was ready and we were able to leave our cases there before going out for lunch. We did not have a room with a great view but it did not matter as we were hardly there in daylight. Receptionist who booked us in exceedingly pleasant and liked the fact that the lift from reception to the other floors will not operate without room card. Hotel on Princes Street and very central. About 15 minute walk from Waverley. We did not book for breakfast as left hotel at 5.15 first morning and went to Patisserie Valerie a couple of minutes walk away on second. Only complaint would be that soap comes out of machine and would have preferred bars but minor. Small bar on the reception floor and people still there at 11.45 on the evening we returned from London. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Room 605 on 6th floor. Good but with no view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ScotlandCaroline
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located in a central location. Clean and very comfortable and a good nights sleep. The receptionist even called my room to check everything was alright.

What really let this hotel down was the restaurant. The menu options were very very limited. I stay at multiple Premier Inns and always find the Brewers Fayre, Table Table or Beefeater restaurants very good. This place has 'The kitchen' with next to minimal choice. Add to the fact the quality of the food was no great and they got my very basic order request wrong. On reflection over a very enjoyable breakfast my colleague and I have both agreed we should have eaten elsewhere and there is plenty of other places to eat as this hotel was so central. For some reason the person behind the bar was unable to work out how to charge drinks and a meal to a Premier Inn business card... this had to be settled after breakfast.

What I have taken away from this trip is not to stay at a Premier Inn which has 'The kitchen' unless I can get good food elsewhere.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business