“Best View of Edinburgh Castle”

Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel
Ranked #20 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Premire Inn was the hotel with best view. I requested for a top floor room with Edinburgh Castle view and it was granted. I was on my honeymoon trip and I wanted the best so I requested well in advance.
The room was great. The view from hotel was just awesome, the castle view room. It was just like a live scenery from the room that cannot be explained in words.
Food was great with lot of options. Service was good.

Room Tip: Top floor room with Castle View.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
19  Thank Gaurav_Leo
There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed at the premier inn - princes st on 12th Feb for 2 nights,we stayed in a family room with our 6year old grandaughter it was perfect room was lovely,we opted for the meal deal good value for money,staff were lovely made time to chat to our grandaughter asking her about her visit to build a bear,would love to return in the future.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed here for one night midweek, costing us £70 with me purchasing the room a few days in advance.

From previous reviews, some persons were critical of the price. If you go to Edinburgh during an international rugby game or the tattoo, you'd expect to pay top dollar! I was happy enough to pay my price as the location was amazing and I knew what I was getting. On shopping about, the price was average with other hotels in the area.

The receptionist was nice and friendly but she did direct us to a fancy vending type booking in machine. I found this strange and felt it took away the face to face customer relations of checking in...

The room was clean(618), bed very comfortable (as you always get with Premier Inn) and I had a good nights sleep. One small gripe was you can hear next door flushing the loo silly o'clock.

Would I visit again and pay for this location? Yes. On a rugby weekend? No. Go to Glasgow, it's only 40min train away and a fraction of the price!

Room Tip: Try ask for a room with a view. We were on the 6th floor and had an even number, which didn't lo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I've scored this hotel 1 star mostly because of their charging policy.

England and Scotland rugby weekend, difficult to find accommodation and it's all expensive so you 'takes your choice.'

Well, £371 for a twin room including breakfast for two nights is, I believe, well over the top. I'm not interested in any 'supply and demand' arguments. This is a very basic hotel offering average fare and this price is simply profiteering in the extreme. If you wish to check prices for other weekends you will know what I mean.

We arrived and were checked in, if you pay cash make sure you have ID. I didn't but my friend did! An email had confirmed the twin-bedded accommodation but on entering the room only a double bed made up. Back to reception to be told the twin beds are a double and the sofa bed. Arrangements were made for the sofa bed to be made up, we now have no sofa for our stay!

Breakfast is buffet style, I would expect a little more for £185.50 per night. I'm ok with fetching my fruit juice, fruit and cereal but it would be nice not to stand in a queue for a coffee. A pot brought to the table would be good and a table tidy would also add to the experience rather than all the paraphernalia being strewn wherever there was space. Little touches all add up. The cooked breakfast is under lamps and we have all experienced them, no need to add further comment!

The restaurant is tidy enough and some tables have windows to look out over the castle. I have to say Graham and John in the restaurant were excellent. Graham in particular, because he was our greeter, was very welcoming and personable and interested in our stay.

The bar is interesting, we decided on the second night to have 'one for the road' in the 'bar' basically a few seats between reception and the restaurant. Having sampled a few of Edinburgh's finest bitters it was a let down to only see Guiness on draught although I am perfectly happy to imbibe when bitters are not available. Unfortunately the Guiness was not available this night so the only choice was 'lump it' with bottled beer or go without. The bar tender then apologised for one of our chosen bottles being warmer than the other! I didn't tell my mate, I went for the less chilled one, after all we're not in America!

Others have mentioned the discreet entrance, thank goodness it is, who wants big brash corporate signage everywhere? Lenny Henry and purple, no thanks. Between Starbucks and Look if I remember correctly and near to MacDonalds and Tesco Express if you need a late night snack.

If you use the Air Link bus from the airport alight at Shandwick Place and follow the bus into Princes Street. It's much closer to the hotel than the next stop in George Street or the terminus at Waverley.

So, fantastic location BUT seriously, this very basic hotel is never going to be worth the money we paid and Premier Inns need to seriously rethink their charges if they want people to go away and spead positive words about their establishments. It's about reasonable profit, not ripping people off!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank lutonlip
ARiva1, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Lutonlip,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. Feedback is such an important tool for us to continually monitor our standards and services.

I apologise that the sofa bed was overlooked prior to your arrival, this has been addressed with our Housekeeping Team - I'm pleased that Reception were able to get this made promptly for you.

Our breakfast is served buffet style, during busy periods this serves to speed up the process and ensures that every guest is able to access as much as they would like - breakfast is all you can eat and therefore great value for money. I do appreciate that some guests may perhaps prefer to have breakfast cooked to order and table service for hot drinks and for your future comfort please be assured that the waiting team and chefs are more than happy to do this at your request.

Both Graham and John are delighted with your positive feedback, both are very passionate to deliver a great breakfast and it's very rewarding for them when our guests take the time to recognise the work that they do.

I do fully understand your frustrations regarding the cost during the international rugby weekend being higher than you would normally expect to pay at a Premier Inn but please be assured that ever step is taken by our Pricing Team to ensure that whilst we do price in line with demand in the market place, we remain as competitive as we can. In most cases our prices are lower than that of our competitors. I will of course ensure that your feedback is shared directly with our Pricing Team.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards
Ailsa Riva
Operations Manager
opsmgr.edinburghprincesstreet@whitbread.com

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Very comfortable. Good location (when you spot it!!). Good food. Friendly staff. Budget hotel?? £160 for Saturday and £55 for Sunday. Not good!! Be more budget friendly please!!! It's what you class yourself!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Excellent staff, very knowledgeable of local area and excursions. We're able to give lots of advice on our trip to see the sights. Also more than willing to help with any issues.
Very comfortable bed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2014

First time in a premier inn, will definitely go back. Room clean and warm, bed very comfortable and The Kitchen restaurant...well the 8oz burer I had was delicious.
Would definitely use a premier inn in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family