“Excellent no-nonsense city break”

Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel
Ranked #20 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Excellent no-nonsense city break”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

A very nice hotel with a narrow entrance tucked away on Prince's street in Edinburgh. We got a lovely room at the front of the hotel overlooking the castle. Very spacious, spotlessly clean room and bathroom, very cheerful & helpful staff, and no-nonsense checking in/out. Very quiet within the hotel, and virtually no traffic/revellers noise from outside at night. But most importantly, you know what you're getting with a Premier Inn hotel, and it was way cheaper than some of the competition on Prince's street! (Didn't try the restaurant but it looked nice enough.) Would definitely stay there again, but shhhh keep it to yourself, so it doesn't get fully booked up!!!! ;-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Fabulous hotel. Great position right in the center of Princes Street, very convenient for the tram from the airport( £8 return). The front of the hotel is small so you must look carefully just a doorway, next to new look, lift to second floor and there was a very smiley face there to welcome us. Very efficient reception staff, knowledgeable about the city which buses to get etc. room very clean, lovely bed very comfortable pillows. We had room 304 which was at the back, very quiet.
View from the restaurant of Edinburgh castle, dinner was hot and quick service, attentive waiter, didn't feel rushed to leave the table. Breakfast £8.95 though seemed expensive was well worth it, lovely sausages! Plenty of choice, both hot and cold food, cereals,pastries etc.
Will defiantly chose this hotel again if ever I'm in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have great view of the castle
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Great location with very helpful staff, the room was clean and well maintained. The breakfast selection is excellent and there was the option of food that was not on the menu. Overall I would highly recommend for people to stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Texas
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I wish I had better things to say because the hotel was clean and in a perfect location for sightseeing. First the good - the room was spotlessly clean, the location was great, the breakfast was fine. However, unless you're used to sleeping on a slab of stone, the beds will feel horribly hard. The floor would have been more comfortable. After the first night, I asked them to put an additional duvet UNDER the sheet which softened the bed enough so I could make it through the next three nights. Also, I had a room all the way in the back of the hotel and had to open and drag my heavy suitcase through four fire doors. This wouldn't be an easy task for people with more than one case, or pushing a stroller. Something to keep in mind when you are assigned your room.

The staff were friendly. However, the phone system doesn't have the capability of automated wake-up calls, so if you ask for one they put your down in a notebook at the front desk and whoever is working in the morning has the responsibility to read it, and to call you. I got my 5:30 wake-up call at 6:08. Thankfully I woke up on my own before 5:30 so the call wasn't needed, but thank goodness I'd allowed myself extra time to meet my train.

Now that I'm familiar with the great bus system in Edinburgh, I'd opt to stay somewhere else the next time.

Room Tip: Beware that the rooms at the very back of the hotel have multiple fire doors (I think there were fou...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank texaskaren68
ARiva1, Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street) Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear texaskaren68

Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay with us, I really do appreciate the time that you have taken and I welcome the opportunity to address the issues you encountered.

I cannot apologise enough that your stay did not meet that of our usual high standards, however I am pleased that you have noted that your room and facilities were clean and that my team were friendly.

I'm sorry that you found the bed too hard, whilst there is a degree of personal choice with any such facility, the vast majority of our guests find our beds very comfortable. I hope that the additional duvet offered a higher level of comfort for you. I'd really appreciate if you could get in touch, if I can establish your room number I can arrange to have the mattress reviewed to ensure it meets our standards.

Our mid corridor fire doors are all fitted with magnet release and should be held open throughout the hours of 7am and 11pm. These doors are released over night to maintain our commitment to reducing overnight noise. I am terribly sorry if you found these doors to be closed, this is never our intention as of course we understand how difficult it can be trying to negotiate a closed door alongside several bags.

Unfortunately our telephone system does not allow the facility for automated wake up calls, and it's for this reason that we don't (or shouldn't) offer wake up calls - however this facility is available via the television in your bedroom. Clearly this has highlighted a training need within the team and please be assured I will address this as a matter of urgency.

I am genuinely disappointed that we didn't deliver a better stay for you, you have noted that you may return to Edinburgh and I really would relish the opportunity to have you return to Princes Street. Should you choose to do so, please do contact me directly and I will ensure that you are given an experience more indicative of the standards we aim to deliver to our guests.

Kind regards
cumbria
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The staff are really lovely and friendly. Room at the back very very quiet. Had a laugh trying to find the hotel, it's next to Starbucks, but worth it when you do. The weather was awful but Edinburgh is a great place.

Room Tip: Depends if you want a view, we didn't mind.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear silverlady19,

Thank you for your lovely review, I'm thrilled that you had a great stay with us.

There's not much we can do about the weather - we like to think of it as really getting the full Scottish experience! However I'm really pleased you had a nice quiet room and that my team looked after you well. I have to agree that Edinburgh really is a wonderful city and I'm glad you and your family enjoyed your visit.

Kind regards
Redcliffe, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The entrance to this hotel is a single doorway opening onto Princes Street. Step inside and an elevator takes you upstairs to a small reception with a single desk and two receptionists. One was good and the other was surly. By this time we are wondering whether we made the right choice. But then we got to our room and saw the fantastic view of Edinburgh Castle and everything changed. The room was beautiful, clean, spacious and all we could have wanted. Will never forget that view! We stayed in another more prestigious hotel a week later and it was no where near as good as this one regarding location, views, cleanliness etc.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and i spent 3 nights in the hotel in mid May. We wanted a room with a view of the Castle and got it. What a great view across Princes Gardens and the Castle towering above. The staff and management made us feel completely at home and nothing was too much trouble.The location is perfect with public transport on your door step.
I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a very clean and comfortable hotel without all the luxurious trimmings of a 5 star hotel.
Mike and Di O

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Di O
Dear DiandMikeo

Mr and Mrs Olds, thank you for your lovely review. Whilst we never quite got to catch up, my team remember you both very fondly. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

I'm thrilled that we were able to allocate you the requested castle view bedroom, it really is a stunning sight to wake to. I'm so pleased to hear that you were made to feel at home, this is exactly what we aim to deliver every day and it's really rewarding to get such positive feedback.

Thanks again for choosing Princes Street Premier Inn and I really hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Kindest regards