“Fine for Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Meadows Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Meadows Hotel
Ranked #367 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
IL
“Fine for Price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

I stayed here for a conference because it was inexpensive, described as a boutique hotel, and away from the more touristy area. It's about a 15 min walk to the main area (near the National Museum of Scotland). The room was quite small, and really could have used a chair or something to put stuff on (no desk or couch in my room), so I was left with the bed or the floor. Decor was fine, if a little worn. Bathroom was clean, though the tub was pretty high, which could prove hard if older.

Service for me was fine and friendly - I arrived before the check-in time (2pm seems quite late), but they stored my bag & that was fine. The breakfast was continental, but with german style meat/bread & fruit too, but real coffee was extra. Had no problems calling a cab really quickly Saturday morning when I checked out.

I was a little concerned that the bar downstairs would be noisy, but the rooms upstairs are behind other doors, so I did not have any issues. I was also wary about bait/switch of price after reading some reviews after booking on booking.com, but I was charged what I was quoted originally.

If you want to be near the tourist drag, this may not be for you, but if you want a different scene and quieter neighborhood, this is a decent option. There was a great tea place and another cafe down the street that were both fantastic.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

We have given the place 3 chances and we won't be back. The place changed hands/name last year. Under the old name the bar offered good food and although never packed was always busy.

On our first visit to the Meadows we tried to pay our bill by credit card and we were told the machine wasn't working tonight & the waitress apologised for not telling us at the time of ordering. I accepted they were having teething problems and walked 10 minutes to the Tesco cash machine to get cash for the bill. My husband was left as a deposit.

On the second visit we ordered cocktails and food. After around 15 minutes the waitress returned to say they didn't have the ingredients for our starter, one of the main courses and the had no limes so no cocktails either. We walked out wondering out if should nip into Tesco and get them some limes.

We went back for our third and final visit last night. We only went to the Meadows Hotel because our first choice was too busy and as it was after 9 they were the only place near by serving food. The food was fine and this time they had limes. We went to pay our bill by credit card and we were told "we don't accept card payments..we don't even have wifi." This time my husband walked to Tesco leaving me as a deposit. I can't believe we were not told they did not accept card payments at the time of ordering. There are signs on the front door saying they accept various cards and they have wifi when neither is true. They didn't even apologise. It's a joke.

• Stayed May 2012

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

We arrived at the afternoon and we were checked in by the bartender !!!!! No shampoo at the shower and a poor breakfast with no refill. On the other hand big rooms and very clean

• Stayed May 2012
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

good solid scran with a little flair - we will deffo be back in the summer

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I've stayed here before when it operated under a different name. The first room offered didn't have a television but the young man at reception apologised and immediately offered me another room. (The tv had been stolen apparently...some guests have no scruples!) The rooms were lovely, bed comfortable, decent toiletries and a multi-function power shower. The staff were really helpful.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper ask for a rear room as the front is on a busy road. It's worth get...