“The Kilderkin Burger.. Simply the best!”
Review of The Kilderkin

The Kilderkin
Ranked #676 of 2,590 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$8 - US$13
Cuisines: Pizza, Bar, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: WE SERVE TWO DISTINCT MENUS; OUR DAYTIME MENU RUNS TILL 5pm AND OUR PIZZA MENU FROM 6pm Traditional Scottish bar with high-quality, home made food and a great selection of beer and spirits.
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I am not usually one to make a song and dance about a service being as good as it should be, but the Kilderkin Burger REALLY IS something to shout about.

Bite after bite of succulent heaven... the best I have ever tasted.

Add in the unpretentious surroundings and the helpful/amiable (without being O.T.T.) staff only left me wishing I had more time to test the rest of the menu.

Thanks, Chaps

James N, Owner at The Kilderkin, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thanks for the review.

Great to hear you enjoyed your burger so much.

I think Ross may have unwittingly told you a wee fib regarding the burger recipe. There's a lot more to it than he thinks!!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

As other reviewers have noticed, the greatest two things about Kilderkin are its staff and... its collection of rum! It's off the main track for pub goers, so it's usually not very crowded, and it's a great place both for a quiet drink or for throwing a party with a larger group (besides the large bar area, there is also a separate room that can be booked for special occasions).
I'm a very indecisive drinker, so I cannot thank the staff enough for their patience guiding me through the selection of rum. Their whisky collection is also very good, and they host some tasting events for both drinks, some presented by their own staff, others by guests, all going from reasonably priced to the occasional free session (I was there once for a free tasting of calvados!). The beer may be their weaker point, but who's there for beer anyway?!
Besides tastings, they host pub quizzes and music events, but I have not been to either (yet).
Finally, the food is great and funny (yes, the names of the pizzas are funny!) and, to my surprise, they will still serve you up until midnight, which is rare in pubs in Edinburgh.

Thanks for the review.

I may paste it into the business description part of the page that I've yet to fill in!!!

James

ps Let us know if there are any beers you'd like to see in the bar and we can try to get them in.

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

I was staying in Edinburgh for the weekend and my partner and I came across this little treasure on the royal mile. We went in for a drink (only intending on having 1!) however we were welcomed as we walked in the door, very relaxed and cosy atmosphere. We loved it so much that we stayed most of the afternoon for more drinks.

The prices are reasonable was only £7 for a pint of cider and a glass of wine! Which is great considering the prices in other pubs in Edinburgh, particularly the royal mile!

The next day we decided to return, this time for some lunch as we had saw the food the day before and it looked fantastic!

I had a chicken burger and my partner had the pepperoni burger. We are both fussy eaters and the staff catered for our needs without a problem. We also had a side of onion rings which came in a bucket! Fantastic - great big portions as well :-)

Free wifi.
Large seating area - not crowded like some of the the other pubs on the royal mile.
Dogs are welcome and we saw the staff give dogs some treats and water which I thought was a really nice touch as it's something different.

The staff are what makes the place so great. Everyone is so pleasant and it really is a pleasure to eat and drink here.

Would definitely recommend this pub to anyone visiting Edinburgh. It really is a treasure!!!

We can't wait to go back next time we are up in Edinburgh!

Thanks for the recommendation.

Hope to see you when you're next in town.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We went for dinner having read the reviews on here, and it didn't disappoint. Huge range of pizzas, which were delicious and good value. We stayed for the quiz (Tuesday night) after eating and that was fun too. All the staff and other customers were very welcoming - we didn't make it to many pubs in the city but I'd be surprised if there are many better than this.

Thanks for the review.

Bad luck with the "physical challenge" part of the quiz!

J

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have just discovered the Kilderkin. It used to be Jenny Ha's and frankly was a dive so I avoided however was taken there for lunch today and honestly I was blown away by the place because the food I had was of such a high standard and absolutely delicious that I am so annoyed I hadn't known about it before. Not only that but the waiter/barman was really nice and friendly. Quite frankly a gem of a pub with fabulous food and I am planning my next trip there very soon.

Glad you enjoyed your visit.

It's taken us a couple of years to shake off Jenny Ha's legacy but the hard work seems to be paying off.

Hope to see you again soon.

Thanks