“A room for rent than a hotel - but still good value”
Review of 28 York Place

28 York Place
Ranked #125 of 211 Nightlife in Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 September 2013

28 York Place is an odd hotel, in that it doesn't have a restaurant so doesn't offer breakfast. It does have a well stocked bar (this is Scotland after all) though and the building itself is very grand and reasonably comfortable. I would stay here again as it's in a great location and staff are friendly. The room itself was nice enough and whilst the bathroom could do with a bit of an update, I can't complain. So for less than £100 in the city centre, no complaints.

Reviewed 18 March 2012

As an Edinburgh resident and a former civilian member of the local constabulary, I was intrigued to find out what the place was like now that it is no longer The Police Club and it's had to open its doors to the general public. To face facts, they've had to diversify like many other outfits to make ends meet and pay the bills! Being a 'closed shop' wasn't bringing in the dosh.

On a recent day out with two good friends and, having visited the newly refurbed Scottish National Portrait Gallery across the road, we decided to pop into 28 York Place for a snifter before heading home.

When we reached the door, we couldn't enter as it was locked. There was nobody about and no punters in the bar. Eventually, after we had rung the bell - and as we were on the verge of leaving - a chap came and opened the door and let us in. I ordered a round of drinks and we sat through the back and surveyed the scene: lofty ceilings, no staff, no customers, no activity and no atmosphere.

I had passed the place on the bus during the Fringe/Festival last year when it was a venue for The Stand Comedy Club. I had logged on to the 28 York Place website and, as well as being a hotel, it looked as if it did bar meals. I thought from its website, it looked quite lively and interesting. How disappointed we were.

They do not do bar meals and it has been turned into a hotel or, more precisely, a B&B. The place was dead, no activity and nobody in the bar. Little wonder if the door is kept locked all the time. Not like a real hotel with an open bar and a warm and welcoming ambience which attracts passing trade. It is more like a police lock-up.

We finished our drinks, didn't buy a second round and curiosity satisfied, left the premises and headed for the bus home.

Don't know what the accommodation is actually like as I did not stay as a paying guest. Can only judge from what I saw on the website. It looked acceptable enough.

I certainly won't be back. Maybe during the busy summer months 'No. 28' takes on a more lively and welcoming outlook compatible with the expectations of the hospitality/tourist industry?