“Great B&B” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Airlie Guest House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Airlie Guest House
Ranked #399 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Davenport
“Great B&B”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Airlie Guest House in Edinburgh in March this year. We stayed at various Guest Houses in Scotland but were so impressed with the Airlie that we felt that we had to write about it. Peter was so helpful and patient and answered our many questions, Fiona even got us a 20% discount on a day trip we wanted to take to the Highlands. Our room was very comfortable and breakfast was great. We left our hire car in the car park at the back of the house and used the bus during our stay, it was only a short journey to the City centre and there was so much to see. We would certainly recommend the Airlie to anyone staying in Edinburgh.

• Liked — The friendliness and the price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Carly_101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2007

We loved the Airlie. It was the most expensive place that we stayed (still cheap at about 53 pounds per night) but the room we were given (supposedly a double room) was pretty vast and had a spacious double bed, a single bed and a sofa. Though Minto Street is quite a big street the room was completely quiet (it faced away from the street). We were able to park for free in the back and the distance to the centre was not too far. Walked there quite easily in spite of being pregnant. Busses run straight to Princess Street right outside the door. The service was quite good and the breakfast ok . Highy recommendable.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank valby
Bowling Green, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2007

I stayed here for three nights in February 2007 and absolutely loved it. First, there's a private car parking lot in the rear, so i was able to leave my rental car there and it had automatic lights - making it safe and very easy to come and go. The owner, Mrs. Flynn, led me round the building to show me everything and she was patient and sweet, giving me advice as we went along. The room was small but immaculate and most comfortable, with cable TV and a lovely duvet on the bed and comfortable chairs, etc. It was just a 15 minute walk south to the Royal Mile, and all along the way were many small wonderful shops: spectacular That and Lebanese food (as well as any other kind you wish), great book stores and charity shops where used books, almost new, are dirt cheap, great pubs, etc. No need tospend a fortune on the touristy shops along the mile. And if your feet start to hurt, a bus goes all along this street, right accross from the guest house to the Mile, a pound a pop. The free breakfast in the a.m. was whatever you want, and served lovely at that. All this for about $40 a night. It was my home away from home.

• Liked — cleanliness, friendliness, and budget cost
  • Disliked — nothing at all
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank oldbuckhorn
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2005

A colleague of mine was staying at the Airlie Guesthouse and I tried calling her so that I could drive her to a meeting (5pm). The owner basically told me that I was bothering him and that he would not call my colleague. I then went to the guest house hoping I could find her that way. The owner came out and told me that he did not know if she was in or out. When I asked if he could check he told me that he "does not go up stairs". Whatever that means. I insisted a bit more and the result was a rampage of yelling. I never managed to meet up with my colleage and she ended up walking to the meeting in pouring Edinburgh rain. Nice! Unless you enjoy being yelled at don't stay here!!

Stayed October 2005
2 Thank EspacioMuyGrande
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2005

Extremely helpful proprietors Peter and Fiona helped to make our stay in Edinburgh most memorable. Our room was lovely, clean and comfortable The breakfast was very enjoyable. We were able to park our car in the private residents car park, saved worrying about leaving it on the street. Bus stop just across the road what more could you ask for?

• Stayed January 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2004

Boy was I disappointed - unfriendly weekend breakfast waitresses, cold attitude from the regular staff. In fact, I don't think Fiona could have cared less. She informed me on the day I arrived (at about 3pm) that there was no way that she could help with cashing of travellers cheques and directed me to a mall about 1.5 miles away. On my fourth day it took me 20 minutes to raise her at about 10pm after locking myself out of my room (auto-locking doors) and then she appeared drugged (she said from headache tablets) and confused.

I WON'T BE BACK.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner at Airlie Guest House, responded to this review, 22 March 2005
I booked using a recommendation from a search engine, confirmed telephonically (at huge cost) and was looking forward to the 'homely, caring environment' promised. RESPONSE:

The guest did not have to use the telephone “at huge cost” we are perfectly willing to confirm bookings over the internet, a medium, which many of my Guests have used at little cost. We don’t advertise that we offer a “homely, caring environment”. We advertise clean, comfortable rooms, a good breakfast, a friendly attitude and helpful and polite answers to the many questions we are asked. We obviously are doing what we say because we have many repeat visitors and equally as many who come to us on recommendations from others.

Boy was I disappointed - unfriendly weekend breakfast waitresses, cold attitude from the regular staff. RESPONSE:

My waitresses have been praised for their friendly and helpful attitudes. I have numerous comments in my Visitors book attesting to that.

In fact, I don't think Fiona could have cared less. She informed me on the day I arrived (at about 3pm) that there was no way that she could help with cashing of travellers cheques and directed me to a mall about 1.5 miles away. RESPONSE:

We take great pride in the way in which we deal with our Guests. We have been given a 9 out of 10 for our welcome from the Scottish Tourist Board. When asked if I could help the Guest with cashing travellers cheques I pointed him in the direction of the nearest Bureau de Change which is in a shopping mall LESS THAN HALF A MILE AWAY, (a big difference to one and a half miles!). We are a Guest House, not a bank, no-one in 15 years has expected us to provide banking facilities as well as bed and breakfast!

On my fourth day it took me 20 minutes to raise her at about 10pm after locking myself out of my room (auto-locking doors). RESPONSE:

Regarding auto locking doors -I don't understand why this is a complaint, in all the Hotels and Guest Houses we have stayed in all over the World - every one of them has had an auto locking door, which is why you make sure that you take your key with you when you leave the room. As for taking 20 minutes to answer a ringing bell, there are 4 members of our family living in the Guest House and one of us always hears the bell when it is rung. A ringing bell is answered as quickly as possible, depending on the time of night and certainly within 5 minutes, never 20!

and then she appeared drugged (she said from headache tablets) and confused. RESPONSE:

On the night in question it would have been impossible for anyone in the Guest House to see me “drugged” or otherwise because I wasn’t at the Guest House. I have no idea why such a horrible comment has been made against me and despite being personally insulting and completely untrue, (I have never taken drugs in my life), Tripadvisor have refused to delete it. In my opinion, this comment is in direct contradiction to their own review guidelines! In fact, MY HUSBAND dealt with the Guest after the bell was rung ONLY TWICE , and the Guest was immediately let into his room.

There was no receipt given for payment, which must be paid in advance, and no farewell as I left... not even the offer to call a taxi. RESPOPNSE:

No-one is ever asked to pay in advance for accommodation as we know that payment from abroad can incur very high charges, so payment is only required once the Guest has arrived. Once payment has been made every Guest is asked if they require a receipt which, if they do, is presented immediately. This Guest obviously declined the offer. What this Guest has failed to mention is that on his day of departure he left his keys on the reception desk and walked out without telling anyone he was going - as we didn’t even know that he had left we were unable to bid him farewell or procure a taxi for him!

I WON'T BE BACK. - RESPONSE:

That is the privilege of this Guest, but over the last 15 years many of our Guests have returned, that is their endorsement of our good service. We have 3 Stars from the Scottish Tourist Board which equals a "Very Good" standard of facilities and service. For those of you who have read this response I hope that you will see this Guest's review for what it is, a complete fabrication !
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2004

The Airlie Guest House was definitely not the poshest B&B on Minto St., but it was clean and well maintained, and very close to public transportation. There are definitely nicer places nearby, but Airlie was inexpensive and we had no complaints!

• Stayed January 2005