“Great Location, Great staff. A little gem in the city center and great value for money!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rick's

Rick's
Ranked #125 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 March 2010

We stayed at Rick's for a weekend to visit family in Edinburgh. When we arrived we were told that our room was ready and we could go straight on up but we prefered to visit the city for a bit and so the staff were very helpful in recommending tourist sites and giving directions. They also took our luggage for us so we did not have to worry about that.
The room was lovely, very clean with extremely comfortable beds. We decided to book dinner in the restaurant for that evening too as we'd looked over the menu previously.
The bar was great, the staff really helped in finding me a cocktail I'd like, and were extremely knowledgable in what they were selling.
The food was also delicious and service was prompt. Everyone was very polite.
We couldn't be happier with our stay and would recommend the accommodation to friends. The bar is a great area to meet for casual drinks and soak up the atmosphere. We were interested in hosting a birthday party there in the future and we were told that there was also an area which could be seperated from the main restaurant which is ideal for larger groups.

All in all, we were very impressed and we are looking forward to our next visit. A little gem in the city center and great value for money!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Wiltshire
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Stayed at Ricks, smack in a swanky part of Edinburgh just off George Street, great for shops, bars, restaurants and 2 mins walk from the classic Edinburgh city scape views towards the castle. The place is best described as smart, healthily busy, friendly, an attraction to many throughout the day and the evening, decent menu, good bar, nice rooms and comfy bed, excellent customer service which is a real plus to the stay.
Would I stay there again? no hesitation.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 26 January 2010

My wife and I stayed at Ricks during the festival. The staff were very friendly when we checked in. I note some comments about the entrance beng a restaurant/bar - so what ! - if you want a grand reception area then go to the larger and more expensive hotels in the city centre like Sheraton or Balmoral.

The rooms are compact but very clean and have all the nice touches you would expect. We were able to relax with a drink in the bar and then have an excellent meal. The serving staff take an interest and know the menu. We were there on a Saturday evening, the restaurant was busy but the service was efficient (not that we were in any hurry).

It was a joy to walk out on a summer evening, go to a show then walk back without having to wait for taxis.

In the morning we had along lie in and a very relaxed long breakfast (all freshly cooked) - no buffet left overs. We werent at all disturbed by the bin lorry in the morning (slept through it )- rubbish has to be collected after all. I note that some reviewers seem to be very uptight about this small issue.

The rate charged during the festival was reasonable - we shopped around and even the budget chain hotels in the central area were asking up to £200 pn (with no breakfast).

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Just spent 2 nights in Ricks and really enjoyed our staff. Staff were very friendly. Room was lovely. Strange to walk through a bar to go to the rooms though. Breakfast was great too and served until 12. Slightly noisy early in the morning as near to a recyling bottle bin!! nevertheless a very enjoyable stay with great access to shops, George and Princess Street.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 16 January 2010

Recommended by a friend who stays in Edinburgh, this hotel is an real gem. From the initial friendly welcome to the taxi booked on departure,we couldnt fault the place.

Rooms of a medium size, well equipped, really comfy beds, great pillows!! Thanks to Fraser for managing to squeeze us a table on a busy night, what amazing food.

Disnt have time for breakfast, but thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed 2 December 2009

I stayed at Rick’s Boutique Hotel for a 2 night stay on Friday 27th and Saturday 28th November 2009. I was unimpressed. I feel I should give you a little back story here – I was a fan of Rick’s for a number of years and several times a year I would book a 2 night stay either for shopping trips, Going to the rugby etc. There were always a couple of little niggling issues to do with the service that I thought could live with being tightened up but nothing major – especially since I liked the place and the staff. Fast forward to last November and a very nasty experience where they had double booked our room (they have done this before – but that’s another story) and before advising us and apologising they had tendered out pout booking to another hotel not in the same group, that I would never have chosen myself and was too far out of the City Centre than was suitable for the purpose of my visit. When I advised I was unhappy with this especially since I had been a loyal repeat customer to Rick’s and recommended them to others. After a complaint was made to the manager he was extremely apologetic, was aware we were regular guests and offered a 2 night complimentary stay, which we accepted in the good nature it was given and redeemed last weekend. Sadly….I will not be back.
• We arrived and the booking was incorrect
• It took 20 minutes to simply check in
• At breakfast the staff are more inclined to be chatting to each other than taking orders
• Orders are placed at breakfast and never materialise – when checked into – the order was never put through
• A lot of the nice touches that made it seem special in the rooms are missing now
As a bar and restaurant I cannot fault the place:
• The décor is classy
• The food is good
• The cocktail list is extensive
• The bar staff are knowledgeable and friendly
The problems with this place as a hotel are a real shame as I do not think its incompetence or disinterest or even bad management, for me it is a question of not having a real grip on the hotel side of the business – simply the systems are not in place. The one thing the hotel does present is a really competetative room rate. Sadly, for me Rick’s has run out of chances.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 17 November 2009

Having stayed at Tigerlilly, the supposed 'sister' of Ricks I felt comfortable booking Ricks for a 2 night stay, a surprise for my other half who had put up with me moaning for months when I was made redundant in March. I booked Ricks on the back of staying at Tigerlilly and didn't think twice....WHAT A MISTAKE I MADE!

Arriving at the hotel, the receptionist instantly started to look for my table reservation and I had to advise that I had in fact booked accommodation. We were escorted to our room which was a 'Deluxe Double' at a discounted rate of £95.00. Whilst on first impression the room was nice, I didn't expect to find that they had simply pushed two single beds together, yeah, even the single matresses so you had a nice piping effect down the middle of the bed.....not the 'piping' I'd expected in Edinburgh!

Nor did I expect:

Not to be able to turn the heating down in the room and be scorched all night;

Not to be able to get a fan in the room when requested and indeed promised this by staff

The outside bins to be emptied at all hours of the day, the resulting noise blasting through the ever so thin 'double glazing'

The fire alarm going off twice in one morning, without even a courteous phone call from the desk to say...we're testing the alarms or there's no need to leave your rooms...

And to cap it all, even when stating I was unhappy when checking out that the duty manager didn't even come to apologise but instead sat near the kitchen chatting to a builder....

Hopefully the builder was there to pull this place down, if so, I'd forgive the manager for not coming to speak with me - as pulling the place down has to be a priority!!

My advice and I use hotels a lot, don't book it for sleeping....book it for food, they made a nice breakfast, even if all of the items weren't present on the plate each morning!

4* boutique..... definately not, more like 2* hostel with relatively nice wallpaper and flatscreen TV's and definately the oh so poor relative of Tigerlilly!

I'm not just ranting on here, I intend on writing to Tigerlilly and whichever Tourism Board / Agency I can to let them know if the poor standards this place offers.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple