St. Christopher's Inn Edinburgh
US$275
US$245
US$679
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrain stationfree breakfastfemale dormmixed dormroyal milepub crawlperson roomyour luggagepower socketsexcellent locationbeds were comfortableshort staymain attractionsfirst floorthe ground floorthe heart of the citybunk
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We stayed over the Easter Weekend so it was pretty expensive for 4 nights but we expected it to be a nice friendly hostel as it was a chain and have heard good things from friends. It was not.

Facilities
Breakfast
-some burnt toast or rice bubbles are pretty much your only options whilst they blast rock music (couldn't even here my friend talk)

There is no kitchen or fridge in the common room. if you want to cook your own food go elsewhere.

Lastly you have to pay for the lockers once you have checked out!!! Never ever had this at a hostel in all of Europe!

The room:
-shower terrible. Boiling hot for 5 seconds then freezing the rest
- our sink had no hot water tap
- one bathroom among 6 people
-hardly any space for 6 people
- the bathroom smelled of drainage

Overall the location was perfect, very central but don't expect anything nice.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank JanetO1
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Had a great stay at the hostel, perfect for a bunch of us to crash after a hectic stag day, rooms were basic but clean. Central location was greta for getting out in the evening and even better when stumbling home! Nice people and they had a sense of humour as well.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I had previously stayed at this hostel a few years ago when I first visited Edinburgh, and chose to stay here again due to it's excellent location. You could not be any more central in the city !!! I had enjoyed my earlier stay and this time wasn't any worse, however not much had changed. The standards of hostels these days have generally improved quite dramatically and this one has failed to keep up, and this is the only reason I'm giving it a 3 out 5 instead of a 4, other than that everything was fine and I would likely stay here again . . .

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I personally advice this hostel.
Location is great, near to everywhere in city centre! Maximum: 20' walking (i.e. arthur's seat, only to the base, of course then you have to "climb" :]) other places and areas to visit are nearer.
Check-in was fast and the staff very professional and competitive.
Room and bathroom clean!
It's one of the cheapiest in town. Comparing with others hostels (I've spent some nights in other 3 hostels in town, in sharing rooms) is just 1 pound more (average) and you have a bathroom attached, internet and breakfast included!!!
The price is really unbeatable!
So, take it in consideration and choose "St. Chirstopher's Inn"!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I stayed here from a Monday to Thursday, not the best time of week to be in Edinburgh but I was confidant the hostel staff could reccomend a few things to keep me busy.

Ok first the bad things. There is no self service kitchen. Not at all. If you want to save money by cooking your own food you should stay somewhere else. Having said that the restaurant/bar does a few reasonably priced meals but they get old quickly.

Several of the toilets on my level were not working and one took a few days to be cleaned when it was blocked. The showers are the push-button type where one press gets you 20 to 30 seconds of present temperature water. It was annoying but you can live with it. The shower cubicles were a reasonable size to shower then get dressed in. You also have to rent towels though they store them in the public laundry so you could "borrow" one I suppose.

There were also no power outlets in the room I was staying in, the temporary fix was a few extension cords from other rooms to plug in the oil heaters. To power up your devices you could go to the bar or hand your items over to reception and they would charge it "securely" for you. This would probably be sorted by now though (room 402).

Now the good. The hostel is five minutes from the train station and five minutes from the royal mile. It's situated right between the new and old towns so it's super convenient to get anywhere. There was a lift in the hostel but i elected to use the stairs which are wide and central.

The rooms themselves are quite large (8 bed dorm) and i never had any issue with anyone else in my room. Though because it wasn't busy there was only ever a maximum of two other people sharing with me. The dorms have their own bathroom with a couple of toilets and sinks. All the showers were shared though.

The bar/restaurant is a good place to meet people. The hostel wasn't super busy while I was there but I still managed to meet quite a few pwoplw. Quiz night on Monday is fun but unless you have a lot of local knowledge you don't stand a chance. It was three international groups vs a group of locals and they steamrolled us.

Drink prices are good, fosters is a terrible beer but for 2.50 I didn't hear anyone complaining. There are two bars the front is coupled with the reception area and lounge and is quite small. The second bar off to the side is much larger and also serves as the restaurant/breakfast area. Speaking of breakfast it was quite standard, cereal and toast with spreads and tea/coffee. Nothing to write home about though the guy serving seemed like he didn't want to be there.

The staff on the most part are friendly and helpful. I put this down to most of them being australian. It was easy to chat to them and get a feel for what the town in like and where to go and what to see. I too a day trip to Stirling on the advice of the bar staff and loved it.

I would stay here again, overall the staff did a good job of making up for the few shortcomings. If they put a small amount of work into maintenance it would get 4 stars. 3.5 this time.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo