“had an absolute blast”

St. Christopher's Inn Edinburgh
Whitehorse, Canada
“had an absolute blast”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I had the best time, so much fun. The rooms were clean, nothing special but comfortable. Location was awesome, very convenient. The staff were amazing. I ended up needing emergency dental work while I was there, and the reception found all the right numbers to call and let me use the phone for 45 minutes so I could get the whole thing sorted out. As well as being extremely helpful, every single person who worked there that I had interaction with was so friendly and welcoming. Being that I am traveling alone having the staff be so inclusive was great.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Gold Coast
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed in a group of 5 early 20's girls. No expectations - it's a hostel, we're students on a budget.

Everything was fine when we arrived, good atmosphere, party in the bar downstairs. We went out bar hopping and arrived back to the hostel at 3am, and found someone in one of our beds. Bit of heated discussion unfolded and we discovered that person in our bed was in our bed as someone else was in his bed. But the person in his bed also had the correct swipe card info to be in that bed. Went downstairs and we discovered that the bed in question had been double booked. Luckily there was only one bed left in the hostel so the girl whos bed was taken was able to sleep, although we were extremely unimpressed - being young women we don't like to be separated for safety reasons. The staff member who assisted was as helpful as could be but said we'd need to speak to the manager at 9am for any reimbursement. Went down for breakfast the next morning and found out the manager wouldn't be in til 10am - no good for us as we were on a schedule. So we never got to rectify the situation.

I'm sure things like this don't happen often but it really left a sour feeling with us.

The bathroom of the dorm room I was in was terrible. Impossible to get a warm shower, swings from freezing to burning hot. Breakfast service so-so - food ok but no clean plates/cutlery available.

Pro - absolutely perfect location. Couldn't ask for any better.
Staff so-so, not very helpful given the issue we had, 'couldn't do anything without manager being there'.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Kincardine, Canada
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at here for 2 nights at the end of October 2013.

Pro's:
- Great location. Across the street from the train station, 7 minute walk to bus station and close to everything you need.
- Good comfortable beds
- Large storage bins that you can lock under your bed.
- Free and decent breakfast (Toast, cereal, yogurt, milk and juice)
- Free wi-fi on main and first floor

Con's:
- Rooms were not the cleanest.
- rooms were very very cold. Everyone in our room agreed on this.
- No hot water at all. Yay for freezing cold showers at 7am!! And no water pressure. In fact by the second day our shower was no longer working because the duct tape has worn off and the hose had broken so we had to make the trip to the 4th floor communal bathroom. When I asked the staff about this they didn't seem to care about it and said it because so many people are showering in the morning. This may be the case, however then it should be the hostel's responsibility to install more and or larger water heaters and do repairs when needed!!!

If I ever return to Edinburgh I would not stay here again. I would try to Castle Rock Hostel, from what I've heard the prices are similar and people are loving that place!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beachgirl_2009
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just returned from a stag doo, staying at the hostel. Overall poor. Cleanliness in room terrible, dirty bathroom, no hot water. Refurbishment required. Bar ok, again cleanliness poor. Staff ok. Location excellent, stone throw from Waverley station & minutes from Grassmarkets, with many bars & restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We booked the St Christophers Inn after staying at the Amsterdam one in April. It was a very different experience. Aside from the location this place doesn't have much going for it.
The biggest annoyance was the shower not working in the room which meant a trip to the 4th floor to shower.
The staff were not helpful in the slightest. Miserable is not a strong enough word. So much so we didn't bother to complain about the mouse in the mouse in the room that decided to introduce itself on the 2nd night.
Won't be staying here again. And has put me off the St Christophers Inn chain.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank tims82
galway
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed at this hostel on Thursday night 12-9-2013.The first impression I got as soon as I opened the door was"this place is badly in need of a bit of renovation.The two female staff member who worked the reception(if you could call it that)were very friendly chatty and very helpful and have a good understanding of any tourist who is new to Edinburgh.I went up stairs to the locker room,the chill room next to it was humid and muggy and had no window to let in some fresh air,its smelt bad too and was very small for the number of people who stay at the hostel at any one time.The toilets on the same floor looked clean,but the room itself stank on urine.The stairs was badly in need of painting it looked more like something used as a back exit stairs rather than a main stairs.There was a kitchen on one of the upstirs floors which was not used by the people staying in the hostel.There was a glass panel on the kitchen door so I looked in and saw a guy preparing food with no proper headgear dredlocks also handing down as he prepared the food.I don't know what exactly this kitchen was used for,I can only assume it was for the bar downstairs,I can tell you if you saw what I saw when I looked in to the kitchen you would not eat from it.The kitchen looked filthy dirt also.The room I stayed in was nice and clean I must say and I shared it with a very nice group of people both male and female,the were a few chairs and a table in the room which was unusual but it was great as we chatted for hours and had a few drinks before retiring for the night.The next morning I went down to the bar area for breakfast which was included in the price.I came into the breakfast room at 9.15 and was told breakfast was finished at 9am.....there were two male members of staff working in the breakfast room at the time.One was clearing the tables and stacking the dishes the other was behind the counter.The staff member behind the counter told me the breakfast was over and I would have to order from a another menu whhich I would have to pay for.His manner was quite choppy and arrogant to the point where I became annoyed,I explained that I was told breakfast was from 7-10 and not 9,he then verbally quetioned as what my reason for not coming down at 9 am,I then mentioned "putting a review on trip advisor" I also said I was not gonna stay another night at the hostel ,he soon changed his tune and his chin dropped,he then asked me if I would like coffee or tea and if I would like some bread.I got some coffee and musli with milk.The coffee was fine but the musli was tastless.I was on a four day trip of Edinburgh,This was thankfully the only part of the holiday that was bad.The attitude of that guy when you are on holidays,you don't need that.I checked out and spent the rest of holiday at The Hostel in HayMarket where things were so much better,there was also a kitchen there where one could make a cup of tea,whereas one could not at St Christopers Inn.

Room Tip: The room I stayed at was fine
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 16 September 2013

In my particular case I have chosen the St. Christopher for a very simple reason - to have a cheap four night stay at the hostel and to have my time for sightseeing and doing my job around the city. Generally speaking, you have everything in a 10-bed room for a 4-day stay - from passers by, students who are desperately seeking for accommodation through strangers like me. However, what I am saying is that despite the problems, like the difficult to operate showers, in case you are not looking for a push-button solution you may find your way to do things. The pros to stay at this hostel is that the bed linen is sustained clear, and in general the visitors are not putting their nose in your business. The cons are that this is not a five-star hotel. The last one is also a pro for the hostel as it simply means - If you need a five-star service then you should probably collect your staff and go to your desired location - let's say the other side of the street. Ultimately, Edinburgh is a place with so many things to see that neither the old building where the hostel is located or your strange roommates are the things you have to carry about. Again, in case you carry too much - just stay at 5-star hotel and mind your business. Thumbs up for the hostel, staff, location and everything! God bless!

Room Tip: If you are in a 10-bed room you'd rather use the public showers, because the showers are just wh...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business