St. Christopher's Inn Edinburgh
US$329
US$214
US$107
  • Pool
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$847
US$681
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrain stationfree breakfastfemale dormmixed dormroyal milepub crawlperson roomyour luggagepower socketsexcellent locationbeds were comfortablemain attractionsfirst floorthe ground floorthe heart of the citybunklock
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I had the best time, so much fun. The rooms were clean, nothing special but comfortable. Location was awesome, very convenient. The staff were amazing. I ended up needing emergency dental work while I was there, and the reception found all the right numbers to call and let me use the phone for 45 minutes so I could get the whole thing sorted out. As well as being extremely helpful, every single person who worked there that I had interaction with was so friendly and welcoming. Being that I am traveling alone having the staff be so inclusive was great.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed in a group of 5 early 20's girls. No expectations - it's a hostel, we're students on a budget.

Everything was fine when we arrived, good atmosphere, party in the bar downstairs. We went out bar hopping and arrived back to the hostel at 3am, and found someone in one of our beds. Bit of heated discussion unfolded and we discovered that person in our bed was in our bed as someone else was in his bed. But the person in his bed also had the correct swipe card info to be in that bed. Went downstairs and we discovered that the bed in question had been double booked. Luckily there was only one bed left in the hostel so the girl whos bed was taken was able to sleep, although we were extremely unimpressed - being young women we don't like to be separated for safety reasons. The staff member who assisted was as helpful as could be but said we'd need to speak to the manager at 9am for any reimbursement. Went down for breakfast the next morning and found out the manager wouldn't be in til 10am - no good for us as we were on a schedule. So we never got to rectify the situation.

I'm sure things like this don't happen often but it really left a sour feeling with us.

The bathroom of the dorm room I was in was terrible. Impossible to get a warm shower, swings from freezing to burning hot. Breakfast service so-so - food ok but no clean plates/cutlery available.

Pro - absolutely perfect location. Couldn't ask for any better.
Staff so-so, not very helpful given the issue we had, 'couldn't do anything without manager being there'.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at here for 2 nights at the end of October 2013.

Pro's:
- Great location. Across the street from the train station, 7 minute walk to bus station and close to everything you need.
- Good comfortable beds
- Large storage bins that you can lock under your bed.
- Free and decent breakfast (Toast, cereal, yogurt, milk and juice)
- Free wi-fi on main and first floor

Con's:
- Rooms were not the cleanest.
- rooms were very very cold. Everyone in our room agreed on this.
- No hot water at all. Yay for freezing cold showers at 7am!! And no water pressure. In fact by the second day our shower was no longer working because the duct tape has worn off and the hose had broken so we had to make the trip to the 4th floor communal bathroom. When I asked the staff about this they didn't seem to care about it and said it because so many people are showering in the morning. This may be the case, however then it should be the hostel's responsibility to install more and or larger water heaters and do repairs when needed!!!

If I ever return to Edinburgh I would not stay here again. I would try to Castle Rock Hostel, from what I've heard the prices are similar and people are loving that place!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beachgirl_2009
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just returned from a stag doo, staying at the hostel. Overall poor. Cleanliness in room terrible, dirty bathroom, no hot water. Refurbishment required. Bar ok, again cleanliness poor. Staff ok. Location excellent, stone throw from Waverley station & minutes from Grassmarkets, with many bars & restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We booked the St Christophers Inn after staying at the Amsterdam one in April. It was a very different experience. Aside from the location this place doesn't have much going for it.
The biggest annoyance was the shower not working in the room which meant a trip to the 4th floor to shower.
The staff were not helpful in the slightest. Miserable is not a strong enough word. So much so we didn't bother to complain about the mouse in the mouse in the room that decided to introduce itself on the 2nd night.
Won't be staying here again. And has put me off the St Christophers Inn chain.

• Stayed: September 2013