“Amazing city- average hostel”

St. Christopher's Inn Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing city- average hostel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

I visited Edinburgh for the fringe festival. Edinburgh was so much more than I expected. The most beautiful city with lots of history and lots to do. Very quick to get out to the Highlands if you hire a car too.
The fringe was also good. Loads of things on and many free.

The hostel was... average. Great location for the train station and the City. The rooms however were average and looked as though they need a good decoration. It was cost effective (but not cheap) as I was with a group of friends but not the nicest hostel I've been too.

Also with a food allergy (milk), I could not eat any of the breakfast 'included' and they made no effort what so ever to find an alternative.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Abano Terme, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Very nice place, in a central position. Staff have been very kind, beds were comfortable and in a beautiful room. Good pub at the ground floor with discounts and promotions reserved to the guests of the inn!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed here with a group from college for the Edinburgh film festival and overall, it wasn't too bad. Luckily, I got to share a room with three people I already knew which meant we avoided any awkwardness from strangers. The bathroom was extremely small and the shower was almost impossible to fit into, whilst the floor in the room itself was sticky and dirty. The beds were comfortable and the location was absolutely fantastic but I did find it difficult to sleep at times because of the noise from the street outside. The staff were friendly, however I did encounter a cleaner who seemed panicked when she found us in our room and said she'd come back later and didn't come back for the whole time we were staying there (two more days). No wifi in rooms, however our room was next to the chill out rooms so some of our phones could actually get the wifi. Overall, it was okay for a few nights but I wouldn't particularly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
essex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Such a shame to write this as we had great hopes it would live up to the sister hostels in the chain in Madrid but I have to advise other travellers that this was a nightmare.
The location & staff are amazing. I cant fault that but everything else was poor - dire. the bed were hard, linen smelt musty and had stains and rips, the window cleaners came at 6am banging on the windows, the old sash windows that did open had to be propped open by a water bottle , one girl told me she opened one in her dorm and it came off the runners, half hanging out over the street below- 2 floors up!!! she stayed clinging on to the pane until a member of staff came up to relieve her.

there is no WIFI on the top 2 floors so you have to go down to the bar or chill out area to get wifi . not great for the digital lives we lead.

We first stayed in a 4 bed female dorm- room 33. it was tiny, cramped and smelt of musty dampness. the floors were horrible, little stones, dust, hair and other grime, defiantly hadn't seen a mop or broom in a long time. bathroom was not great either, the shower head constantly turned to the wall as it was secured properly, the pole came off in my hands when I tried to reposition the head to wash my hair. the extractor fan made a horrific loud droning noise but did little to take away smell or steam. the galley way between the beds was not wide enough for two so 4 women had to stand at either end of the room so one could pass by- not great.

The floors in the whole place were filthy, with grime and dirt- in desperate need of a deep clean.

The change over for a person vacating and a new customer checking in seemed to consist of the bedding being changed. Nothing more, nothing less.

Due to an incident with the metal storage cage under my bed and my face I had to take a trip to the Royal Infirmary A&E, this left me with a swollen fractured nose and two black eyes. The staff dealt with this situation really well and I can’t fault them, they moved us to a different room but when we went in there was dust on the sink, shower and back of the toilet, hair over the shower wall, the light cord was black with filth and the water got shut off for 20 min, when it came back on there was green sludge that appeared out of our tap. The shower door came off its rails in my hand, apart from scaring the hell out of me, it also narrowly missed my bare foot- potentially another trip to the lovely A&E dept.

As I say the staff were great and I can’t fault them, they reimbursed my stay minus the booking deposit and allowed me and my friend to have dinner and breakfast on them for the last day. They paid for my medical bills and transport to the hospital. They were honest and relatable and all were sorry for the experience we were having.

However that place is not fit for purpose, it needs a serious re-vamp. If a safety inspector spent 1 hour there I have no doubt that it would be shut down.

The price per room was astronomical for the value of the accommodation . At £45 per night I would at least want basic cleanliness and a degree of personal safety . The prices rocket in the fringe season – everyone does it - but this was easily the worst fringe experience I have had.

I will be forwarding on my comments to head office and I suggest that if you are looking for somewhere to stay in the centre of the city then look elsewhere, unless you enjoy taking a gamble with your health and safety on a daily basis.

Disappointed and shocked.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank blueyediva

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Oamaru, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Due to a botched booking (not their fault) I had the privilege of experiencing the staff at their best and 3 different types of accommodation provided. Needless to say their problem solving skills are fantastic, after only finding out upon our arrival that the booking was for 2 not 1. They upgraded us for the first evening, their double room with private shower is fantastic. Comfy bed, incredible view and clean bathroom. The second night we were in a dorm without a bathroom, once again comfy bed and the facilities are really nice and clean (well until sunday morning but i'm sure St Christophers was less impressed with other guests (not me!! eww) vomit in the sink than I was!- I didn't have to clean it! sigh Im getting way too used to hostels!) Anyway the 3rd night was in a dorm with a bathroom and once again great view and comfy bed. In all cases the linen was clean so were the rooms. The chill out room is great with plenty of good reading material, the lockers are the best I've seen and the breakfast (its worth paying for) to upgrade from the free continental. The staff were fantastic (Especially the Scottish? and Australian ladies) I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome of my stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Community of Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Rooms are basic but clean. Linen and towels seem like they need to retire and be replaced by new ones. There's a convenient -though very noisy- box under the bed where to keep stuff but for keeping small valuables is not as safe.
Breakfast is very average but the lack of kitchen facilities doesn't give much of an option.
The chilling room and the reception are very small in relation to the amount of people that the hostel can accommodate.
Due to work being done to fix the streets and the proximity to the train station it was very noisy while I stayed there, but probably it won't be so bad under normal conditions.
I had an OK stay and would probably repeat only because of its superb location and its super friendly and helpful staff, but I would not book there if I were to stay for more than 2 nights.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Let's start with the good...fabulous location, cage lockers under your bed and pleasant staff but that's where it ends. The rooms are stinky and stuffy and u can barely open the windows and when u do the bins are located directly outside. The shared bathrooms are horrendous and the plumbing is terrible, every time I went to use the toilet they were so blocked they were practically overflowing. There are absolutely no kitchen facilities in this hostel which sucks!! Wifi is limited to certain areas which is kinda annoying and do u think u could purchase a bottle of water in the entire hostel.........nope! Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014