“Fine Food, Vin and Fromage”
Review of Henri

Henri
Ranked #747 of 2,640 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$6 - US$10
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Stockbridge & Dean Village
Description: Deli, Cafe and Wine bar and shop in the heart of Stockbridge. Importers of cheese, charcuterie and natural wines.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife and I visited Henri in Stockbridge for the third time today, and I now know I will become a regular here.

It is what it is: not 'fine dining', but certainly fine food, coffee and wine in a relaxed venue.

Each time we've visited, there have been a number of changes to the menu, which I believe is an important factor in any establishment. This has resulted in us both trying a variety of deli meats, breads and salads. We normally order a salad each, and a meat dish to share.

I challenge anyone who doesn't like salads to try one from here. I had a salad with asparagus wrapped in bacon with cheese and my wife had cous cous salad with baked aubergine, goat's cheese and fig jam. We cannot fault either, they were simply delicious. My salad came with lovely mixed tomatoes, rocket and a luxurious, but light dressing. My wife's salad's cous cous was one of the best we've tasted; perfectly spiced and packed with flavour. Aubergine we are normally nervous to order because we've seen it prepared badly far too often. It is definitely one of those foods that's outstanding when done right, and just tasteless when done badly. I'm pleased to say it's the former here.

In regards to the meats; they are absolutely top class; we've had pig’s head, pork belly, and today a first: smoked beef. They really do compare to deli meats we've tried from France and Italy. Today in particular, we bought some smoked beef to take home. The meat order usually comes out with some lovely sour dough bread (the crust is packed with flavour), cornichons, rocket and olives. I do have to make special mention of the olives; which are fabulous. My wife despises olives normally (so much so she ensures restaurants are aware of this before any taster menu!). Today I managed to convince her to try one because they are so delicate in flavour. Her response was that she would possibly like olives today if that was the first time she had tasted one.

One final mention, the coffees in Henri are very good quality indeed. I regard Leo's Beanery to be the best cappuccino in Edinburgh (in my opinion). Henri I regard as being the 2nd best. All too often I receive a coffee with no care taken in producing correct milk. Henri and Leo's consistently have perfect microfoam (essential in a good cappuccino) and of course, very nice coffee beans. One standout drink however, is the mocha. I am tired of mochas in most establishments simply melting in mediocre chocolate. Here it's a completely different drink; it's obvious that it contains very good quality, high cocoa chocolate. This results in a drink that's not sweet, but definitely deep in quality chocolate/cocoa flavour.

So to conclude, Henri, I believe, deserves 5/5 for being a fantastic lunch/light dinner venue. Nice variety, dynamic menu, friendly and efficient staff. I urge anyone to try this place, but be sure to book first if it's the weekend.

2  Thank ScottyLeith

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We regularly head down here for lunch. Always fantastic. Authentic French cuisine. Sells some excellent deli items too. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We needed to find somewhere for a quick late lunch. It fitted the bill just nicely. Good food & reasonably priced. Would come again the next time in Edinburgh :-)

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stopped at Henri's for a bite to eat late afternoon. The deli counter was filled with a wide range of charcuterie and fromages. We chose a meat and cheese platter for 2 and a couple of glasses of wine. The food was presented beautifully and the owner took the time to explain what each meat and cheese was, bravo - it makes all the difference! The food was delicious, one of the best platters I've ever tasted, including those in Italy. The cafe/deli itself is classily decorated with some lovely posters on the wall, notably the Dali French railway station posters. I would highly recommend this place and will definitely return the next time I visit Edinburgh.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This deli also has a café - the breakfast is fab - and not your normal fare. Try it! The sour dough bread is heavenly.