“Impressed!”

Ranked #81 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
England
“Impressed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

For the price I paid and going by some of the reviews I'd read of the guest house, I was expecting a fairly small, shabby room. Not the case at all- my room (Room 2) was large, spacious & well decorated, with a flatscreen TV and lots of tea/coffee/sweets/toiletries etc.

The staff were friendly; I had rung ahead to see if I could drop off a bag and freshen up before check in time as I had a job interview, and when I arrived my room had been made ready early which was a nice surprise as I'd been expecting to have to loiter in cafés for a few hours. There was a great choice for breakfast the next morning; different fruit juices, cereals, fruit, yoghurt, and Scottish or continental breakfast.

I had a street-facing room and didn't have any problems with noise from the street, although I'm guessing this might have been different during the festival. As everyone else has mentioned the Guest House is in a great location just off Edinburgh's main shopping street, within walking distance of most of the big tourist attractions.

The only things I can think to criticise are, as a few others have mentioned, the loud noise from the loos, and that it was a bit chilly in my room when I arrived, though this wasn't a problem once I was under the quilts and blankets! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
lurgan co armagh northern ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed for 3 nights at end of October rang ahead to say we would be arriving late we had a warm welcome from the girl on reception our room was clean and warm bed was comfortable breakfast each morning was lovely .The Castle Veiw is great for location to everything you want the only thing is the stairs for anyone with walking dificulty

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed here for a few nights, and the place was awesome. I noticed a lot of mentions of the stairs in the reviews, and I was not looking forward to climbing a zillion steps after spending all day traveling from Canada.

Shouldn't have worried! No, there is no lift, but the stairs are not all that bad, even after a day of walking Arthur's Seat and the Crags on no sleep. (The no sleep wasn't the fault of the hotel, but rather spending the evening with a friend and visiting just about all the pubs in the vicinity)

The (included) breakfast was fantastic, and I have no complaints about the service. My only complaint would be on the pump system used for plumbing. Definitely quite noisy, and you can hear when anyone else flushes the toilet, so bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper!

Walking distance to all the main points of interest (including both the Castle and Arthurs Seat and Holyrood), and right off Rose Street, so oodles of pubs to choose from in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
ayrshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed here one night and I was pleased it wasn't for longer.
We were in one of the top floor rooms, which was reasonably clean and spacious although certain aspects of the room could be doing with a spruce up. Our beds were spotless and comfortable and, yes we did have a side on view of the Castle from a bay window. The location of this Guest House is fantastic - very Central for all Edinburgh has to offer.
As others have said the guest house is spread over the 2nd to 5th floors of a Georgian building. The number of stairs themselves was not a problem, I didn't expect a lift. But I did find the front entrance and the stairways similar to a council tower block or my old secondary school. Not a great first impression. There is no proper reception - just a small office room on the 2nd floor.
A polite man (manager?) helped us with luggage to our room and provided basic information- breakfast times, emergency info, etc.
3 things disconcerted me-
1. There is no other fire escape other than the main stairs.
2. There are no overnight staff on duty at the guest house, back shift manager left at 11pm apparently. Mobile phone numbers in case of emergency through the night were provided.
3. We were issued with one key which opened the downstairs front door and our room door. It only occurred to me later to wonder if this meant all rooms could be opened using the same key! Not conducive to a good nights sleep! As a woman travelling alone with a child this worried me.

By evening our room was like an oven and it was unbearably warm through the night. Our en suite bathroom was clean and adequate, but every time we flushed the toilet or ran a tap there was a loud startling noise like a ship's fog horn. This also happened when nearby rooms used their facilities. Also after running water and a couple of uses of the loo I became aware of a musty drain smell in the bathroom. Maybe this all comes with the territory of old plumbing in very old buildings.

I wasn't aware of any great street noise overnight and did eventually sleep.
Breakfast is served 7.30 to 9. We descended to the pretty breakfasting room around 8 and had a lovely breakfast. Plenty of fruit juice, cereal, yoghurt, fresh and tinned fruit on offer. There was the option of a Continental breakfast or Scottish cooked breakfast. We had the egg, bacon, sausage etc which was very tasty (Although a big man like my husband might have found the portion size a bit stingy, but it was fine for my daughter and I). Service was polite and efficient in the breakfast room.
We left immediately after breakfast and were out in Princes Street heading with our luggage to Left Luggage at Waverley Station for 9 a.m .after which we had a fab day sightseeing!

So to sum up - Great location, reasonable price, clean if a bit shabby in places, good breakfast.
But I just felt something was lacking......
We plan another overnight trip next year, so...would I return to The Castle View? Sadly, probably not.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank loobylooayr
Worthing
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed for three nights on a recommendation from a relative. Our room was very spacious, nicely decorated and clean. It was about 90 steps to reach it but if you are reasonably fit, you soon get used to the climb. The guest house is in an excellent location - perfect if you arrive by public transport like we did. It is only a 3 minute walk from the Airlink Bus Stop and is right in the middle of a classy area of shops, bars and restaurants. The staff are friendly. Breakfast was nice but can get a little busy around 9am - and as the hot food is cooked to order, don't be in too much of a hurry or get up a bit earlier! This hotel is a perfect base for exploring the beautiful city of Edinburgh which has much to offer - don't miss the Castle and Royal Mile (20 min walk) ; Royal Yacht Britannia (get a bus to Ocean Terminal) and Mary King's Close - pre-book your tour here as it gets full-up especially at weekends (situated on the Royal Mile). Stroll in the Princes Street Gardens (2 min walk).

Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

We've stayed in a quad room at the top level. Like what the other reviews said, the steps were quite overwhelming especially when we were carrying quite a bit of luggage. Rooms were reasonably clean though quite dated and we didn't like the blue lights in the toilet. The mattress which I slept on could be changed because it was sunken in on one side which left me with a backache. Breakfast was average and the serving was huge. All these shortcomings are outweighed by the fantastic location. The hotel is a very short walk to the shops along princes street and a bearable distance from the Waverly station too. There are a couple of food places around the area, which makes it really convenient.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Great hotel in a great central location. Room was clean and spacious. Bed a bit hard (room 7) but that's just my personal preference. Breakfast was lovely, good choices. Previous reviews stated a lot of steps (which there are) but this is detailed on their website. I have a stick but found the stairs okay, our room was on second floor and breakfast room on third. Would definitely stay again and recommend to others.