Castle View Guest House
US$250
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$271
  • Bar/Lounge
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$281
Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$224
US$198
Agoda.com
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$151
US$201
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
US$145
All reviewsflights of stairsno liftburns roomlisted buildingrose streettop floorprinces streetgreat locationbreakfast roombalmoral roombay windowcentral locationb bthird floorlovely guesthousefamily roomprivate bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed in the Burns room on the top floor; room faces Castle St.

The good:
-location, location, location;
-the view (the Castle, of course, including fireworks during Tattoo nights)
-the size of the room (a double plus 2 singles, large windows, ensuite);
-breakfast cooked to order;
-apparently the top floor does not hear the noise of late-night pub goers as street noise was not a problem for us.

The bad:
-no denying, there are a lot of steps, especially to the very top (but they helped prepare us for our hike up Arthur's Seat);
-the price per night is high, obviously you are paying for location;
-cleanliness seemed to be a mid-to-low priority (not gross or moldy, but not really clean; being a somewhat tired-looking decor, keeping everything shiny and clean would make it less "tired looking");
-seagulls perched by our open windows (the top floor was warm; thankfully there was a fan in the room; but during the day we had to keep the windows closed due to the seagulls that would perch on the ledge connected to our windows for fear they would enter the room; having to keep the windows closed all day led to an even warmer room to try to cool down at night; thankfully those birds nested somewhere else at night).

The ugly:
-the plumbing/water pipe noise (apparently we lucked out by being on the top floor and only heard the loud noise when we were the ones using water; sounds like from other reviewers who stayed on lower floors, they heard it when others showered or flushed)
-the glass shower doors that would not close and would fall off the track when you tried to close them so that you are left standing in the shower with a door in your hand.

Would I stay here again now that I know the good, the bad, and the ugly? Maybe.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ReiversGo
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We booked 4 nights into the Castle View Guest House 2 days before the start of Fringe. The property is on the historical register so the owners CANNOT change anything . They can't fix the HORRIBLY LOUD noise the emanates every time someone uses water in the building (e.g., flush a toilet, take a shower or even turn on the sink faucet). It sounds like a jet is taking off and horribly intrusive when someone flushes at night. Nor can they insulate or otherwise do anything to mitigate the plethora of noise from the party goers that frequent Rose Street eateries in the evening. Also, there is no AC or other cooling except keeping the window open which lets in bugs and noise from the pub dwellers below. I am a very light sleeper and this location was miserable. When I asked if I could shorten my stay they insisted on their 7 day advance to receive any refund. They told me they could list the property and if they were able to rent it I wouldn't have to pay. I wasn't willing to risk the possibility of not having a place to stay or having to pay for two rooms. I was very disappointed.

We only received one key and you needed a key to get into the front door. As there were 3 of us, this proved inconvenient. My husband likes to wander out at night and my son and I tend to go to bed. Instead of my husband being able to branch off from our evening excursion, he had to walk us back let us in the room before heading out with the key.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor facing the road ... the noise from Rose street might not have been as bad if we could have been on one of the upper floors.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 206SeattleNative
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was the first stop on our UK tour. It was a pretty basic room with lots of stairs, but the location can't be beat. Great view of the castle from the street, lots of shopping and pubs nearby. Room was large and bath was updated.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed here with my wife and our 3 children in the same room for 3 nights. Although this is not my idea of an ideal stay, sleeping in the same room as the kids, the room was spacious enough to accomodate us quite well. The room was clean, which is basically all I expect. The breakfast is ok......basic but nice, and the service was pretty good. Location is great for shops, restaurants and the like, although at night, being opposite a taxi rank, you can get some rowdy people makinh some noise. Overall quite a pleasant stay, but if you are looking for luxury, that is not what you will get

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel was very comfortable and superbly located. Good facilities, good choices for breakfast, the staff were very helpful and most accommodating of our unexpectedly late arrival. There are a LOT of stairs and no lift. We were prepared for this and in any case had minimal luggage but this could be an important consideration so be warned. Did not actually see the castle from any of the windows I looked through but it can be seen clearly as soon as you step out of the front door as Castle Street is opposite the huge rock on which the castle sits.

Room Tip: The St Andrew's room was very comfortable with one double, one single and en suite facilities.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family