“Perfect for us”

Castle View Guest House
Ranked #66 of 396 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 January 2006

I stayed there 2 nights with my wife and our daughter of 12. Since the very first moment, when I contacted them by email, the service was excellent. We flyed with Ryanair to Prestwick, and Coranne recommended me not to hire a car but travelling in train instead, although it implied to stay one night less in their place. Last day Derek served us the breakfast before the time scheduled because we had to live earlier.
Our room was the Burns, pretty nice and very clean, with a tea machine. Complete and good breakfast. Location is excellent, close to Princess Street and a 10 mn walk to the Royal Mile. Price: 180 GBP two nights (all included).
I will certainly recommend it; however if what you like is watching TV, rather go to another place.

• Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank Hocuspocus

Reviewed 3 October 2005

Castle View is a very centrally located guesthouse, just off George and Princes Street, but without the hustle bustle and noise level you would expect from such a central location. My room was beautifully decorated and accessorized to the theme of thistles and was immaculately clean. The breakfast was cooked to order and was to a high quality. The owners were away, but the couple looking after the guesthouse were very friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. If you are looking for a quality, central stay, look no further!

3  Thank travelluvbug
Reviewed 25 July 2005

I just returned from Edinburgh. Spent 6 days with Coranne and Derek at their Castle View Guest House, 30 Castle Street. Yes, there is a bit of a "hike" to their 3rd and 4th floor guest house, but the accomodations and welcome make this a most satisfactory place to stay. In addition, you are VERY close to all that the center of Edinburgh has to offer! Public transportion to all major sites is just a 5 to 10 minute walk from their guest house. The options for breakfast are varied, from the full English breakfast to a continental breakfast (including a vegetarian option). Whatever your choice, 3 or 4 juice selections, fresh fruit , and cereals are always available to supplement your main breakfast. Each breakfast is prepared individually for each resident. Delicious!!
Many pubs and resturants (and two internet cafe's) are within ten minutes in any direction. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND CASTLE VIEW!! As a single, I paid 50 pounds per night.

2  Thank Piggej
A TripAdvisor Member
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 July 2005

This guesthouse is the perfect place to stay in Edinburgh. I travleed with my sister and found our twin room to be one of the cleanest rooms I've ever stayed in as well as comfortable and spacious. The stairs are a bit of a drag but the fact that you are seconds away from Princes Street and in such close proximity to Rose Street (great food and pubs) more than makes up for this. Plus it's easier than a stairmaster! There is no traffic on Castle Street and there was a little bit of noise at night from the pubs but you have to expect this being so close to the action!
The food at breakfast was great and served very quickly by friendly staff and the view of the castle from my breakfast table was a real treat. I also appreciated the wide range of information such as menus that are available. Edinburgh is a fabulous city and the Castle View Guest House made our fantastic trip even more enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 July 2005

We just returned from a trip to Britain where we spent 2 nights at the Castle View Guest House. It was absolutely a perfect place for our family to stay.
Our room was very well decorated, clean, spacious and gave us a sense of being in a luxury hotel. Our room had a beautiful window seat where we could sit and look out at the Castle.
Coranne and Derek were both very lovely and gracious hosts and very accomodating to any requests. The breakfasts were wonderful with a good selection of options for both adults and our 10 year old son. Although the stairs were daunting with our suitcases, they
became easier to climb each time we returned!! Our daily work out~~ the location was fabulous within close proximity to the sights, restaurants and shopping. A wonderful indian restaurant one block away on Rose St.
A definate recommendation for this lovely guest house that is immaculate and
well presented.

• Stayed: June 2005
1  Thank smithcarter
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago and London
Reviewed 28 February 2005

I just returned from a weekend trip to Edinburgh and stayed at this very clean B&B.

The best things about this place are:

location is great, very central to getting to the main attractions, shopping, etc.
the breakfasts are wonderful and kept me full up to mid-afternoon.
the b&b is very clean and in good shape.

The negatives about this place:

the noise from the adjacent pubs on Rose Street can be very loud from 11 p.m. up to 2 or 3 a.m. If you have a room facing the street/castle, bring some earplugs, you will need them!
since I only stayed 2 nights, I didn't have a lot of luggage with me, but the multiple flights of stairs might be an impediment to those traveling with a lot of luggage or those with physical impairments.

I would recommend this place to anyone going to Edinburgh, great value for the price and close to all the shopping and attractions.

• Stayed: February 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 January 2005

My family of four stayed here for two nights in May 2004 and had a very pleasant experience. The hosts kept a low profile but were available to answer questions and organize a very delicious full breakfast with plenty of options. The main drawback, as with many Edinburgh B&B's, is the three flights of stairs you must climb to reach the entrance from street level. However, the price, pristine and well-decorated bedrooms, and great view of the castle (ask for the Burns Room!) definitely make it worthwhile.

The B&B is about 15 minutes northwest of Waverly Station on foot, and almost directly north of Edinburgh Castle.

5  Thank DolceVita79